upgrading suspension route

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
ok car has just come back from the service and all is fine, the os front arm rear bush is apparently starting to split so i am thinking about getting the suspension done as it sits too high in the arches as standard for my liking

if i am going to get this done the plan would be to get this done properly, so looking at collies and any bits such as bushes to get them all done at the same time. what i would like from the suspension after this is to not destroy the ride too much as i find it comfortable at the moment, but i would like it to be a little stiffer than standard and if possible not so crashy at times at lower speed

can anyone give me an idea as to what bits i need to replace when getting this done, and the rough cost minus the collies choice of course and also some suggestions on what collies to look for. don't mind spending a bit more on the collies but i don't really want to go overboard at the same time, so really somewhere around the 600quid mark for the collies plus the other bits on top would be what i'd like to spend but if there are good ones for a bit more i can stretch to this

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
From what you've said it may be a better option for you to go for a good quality set of springs and shocks as coilovers do tend to be a bot harsher and then also upgrade all the bushes to Powerflex ones.

Damian @ DPM Performance

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
h&r cupkit! great peice of kit. i got the comfort kit myself but the sports kit will lower it a bit more. im sorry i didnt get it now! comfort wise its the very same as oem shocks/springs but the handling is way better.. i put in new top mounts and bearings when i done mine..
before
DSC_0114.jpg

after
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

HTH

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
looks like yours height wise is what i am aiming for so it sits better in the arches, sounds like that may be the kit for me to look at if its similar ride wise.

out of interest how much is yours dropped by from standard do you know?

also how its that setup at lower speeds? as i find as standard it can be quite crashy across bumps and various drain covers and such, is that improved over the standard or does it go the other way?

edit - also they seem to be rather confusing as to the different h&r's ones available as to sports and comfort, i can't find a cup kit that is suspension only a comfort one so any chance you could send us a link to where you got yours from?

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.