Uprated suspension bushes - anyone fitted them on a Mk4 ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
When I change my shocks I'm toying with the idea of fitting some Powerflex bushes to the lower front suspension arms. I suspect the originals are knackered after 70k miles, and with the extra braking power from the 312mm conversion I reckon the Powerflex bushes will help keep things aligned under hard braking.

So, the questions I have:

1) Has anyone fitted them to a Mk4 ?
2) How easy are they to fit ?
3) What difference to they make in terms of improved stability & increased noise/vibration ?

Thanks...

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
I fitted a set of front wishbone bushes last weekend to Neo VR's Fabia vRS. Needed a hydraulic press to do the front ones, rear bush is more of a poly support as it plugs into the std bush.

He loves them, says they really have made a difference to the torque steer issues he had.

Andy S

I've had the front lower arms replaced twice cause the bushes were knackered. Should have checked out before getting them done. Still, warranty paid so what do I care. Selling car now so won't bother. Good luck

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Yup.. ive got em :)

They do make a big difference, im not sure if its because mine were shafted, or the new ones are that good!.

try with just the front-wishbone rear bushes first, as the poly item is DIY-able... just slots into the existing mount and clips into the wishbone... it just fills in the gaps in the existing bush.

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Thanks Colin

I see you've edited your post, as the copy in my email notification is different ;)
I presume they're Powerflex ?

So - the front wishbone rear bushes, do these replace the existing ones or supplement them ? Do you need to remove the wishbone to fit them ?
Have they made much difference with regards to noise/harshness ?

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
muddyboots said:
Thanks Colin

I see you've edited your post, as the copy in my email notification is different ;)
I presume they're Powerflex ?

So - the front wishbone rear bushes, do these replace the existing ones or supplement them ? Do you need to remove the wishbone to fit them ?
Have they made much difference with regards to noise/harshness ?

Lol.. just ignore the original.. had some technical sense drummed into me :D

harshness is pretty much unaffected.. as is noise, apart from the occasional rumble, when you go over catseyes etc, its a bit louder but thats it.

they are powerflex items.. yes

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
What about fitting, are they replacements or supplemental to the originals, and do they need the wishbone removing ?

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
muddyboots said:
What about fitting, are they replacements or supplemental to the originals, and do they need the wishbone removing ?

The wishbone rear-bush doesnt need anything removing as the poly item is supplimental.. the wishbone front bush is an ass, it does need the wishbone removing, and a press used to remove the old bush. (VAG would just replace the full wishbone if the front bush had failed)

If i were you id just try the rear bush first.. as its the one that would make the most difference. (due to design) and its the easiest to fit.

Check out This thread on brisky for more info ;)

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Neo_VR said:
The wishbone rear-bush doesnt need anything removing as the poly item is supplimental.. the wishbone front bush is an ass, it does need the wishbone removing, and a press used to remove the old bush. (VAG would just replace the full wishbone if the front bush had failed)

If i were you id just try the rear bush first.. as its the one that would make the most difference. (due to design) and its the easiest to fit.

Check out This thread on brisky for more info ;)
Cool, sounds easy - thanks for the info

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Well, I was working under the car tonight fixing a broken alternator signal wire, and had a nosey at the front wishbone rear bushes.

OMG, how big are the voids ?? Must be a 1/2-inch air gap between inner and outer parts of the bush. And the inner obviously move around enough to touch the outer on a regular basis, as you can see where the rubber is shiny black instead of dirty. That's a LOT of movement.

Gotta get me some Powerflex udders !

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Get them from MSW...

PFF85-601 - Powerflex Front Wishbone Front Bush - £31.62 per pair inc VAT
PFF85-602 - Powerflex Front Wishbone Rear Bush - £42.19 per pair inc VAT

;)

MichalR

Sep 2, 2006
Bromley, London
lol i know im digging up an old thread....but...did anything happen with this? Has anyone put some poly bushes on their ibiza?

I really need some as mine are completely shot and thought i may as well pay a bit extra for some poly ones :D

Cheers all
Michal