Water injection or Intercooler Spray?

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Mike i see where your coming from but disagree, after the initial farting around getting the settings right(probably still not right lol) and top the washer bottle up every few weeks with water and methanol or washer fluid or washer fluid and water there isn't anything else to do to the system.

My snow performance kit came with it's own little reservior that i'm not using. ;)

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
ibizacupra said:
To add, go onto the www.aquamist.co.uk forum and have a good read.. There's guys mixing nitromethane to their water/meth mixes and claiming big power gains.

:hide:

The guys in America love the stuff, but not using it the way the aquamist boys are talking about, that'll cause the car to run lean / very lean at time because nitromethane doen't mix with water/methanol it go through in slugs, if you know what i mean.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Shock_Xe said:
yep, You did have good results over the standard 10core with wmi, Would of been nice if you had had it with CC also as a comparison base. For IHI cars WMI or Big FMIC is essential really.

REMEMBERING.......... my CC worked well on RR's with the aid of ice cooling :) and did'nt loose me the few psi's boost like the 10 core FMIC did.

Did'nt have aquamist when i had CC so a moot point really.. unless I fit a system to ickle Lupo, which I cant discount.. after Peltier'ing the CC cooling circuit.

point being, aquamist seems to benefit only if your intercooling is'nt working well enough. (unless you want to turn the water injected mix into a fuel as opposed coolant like some of the guys are doing on the aquamist forum)

In the summer tho, on track, in pasty mode, I will retain water injection but by which time I will have smarted control on it which is also looking at induction temps.. switching it in only if req'd.

Interesting, but unexpected results tho I thought.

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Shock_Xe said:
My train of thought is Aquamist will cost you around £375 by the time you chucked on VAT/Delivery. Then you have to have a resoviour as its not included (for those who dont want to use washer bottle) which will be £x... then there is constant maintencance (refilling etc). Plus the Water intejection is not constantly working as with a fmic, so there is alot of hassle.... So for an extra few hundered quid is it worth the hassle long term for WMI on k0x equipped cars?

I disagree..
Its a no chopping the car about installation for those who dont want to and does have a valid cooling benefit, especially for those with poor intercooling as std.. eg. Mk3 Ibiza cupras which are rechipped.
Washer bottle is the ideal container, no need to extra one, large 6.6ltr capacity as std on mk3 cupra, and constant maintenance is no more than refilling it just as you have to refill the washer fluid for windscreens anyhow..
On K0x equipped cars, running bigger boost, the turbo's are heat pumps as much as they are compressors, working outside their efficeincy envelopes, so greater heatload if anything.

I know you're making a case for your product, BUT not every one will be prepared to modify they bumpers and metal work to permit fitting of an FMIC.

Aquamist or other water injection systems are a very viable alternative for some people.

If someones thinking about FMIC vs Aquamist & has the money for either and does'nt mind modifying the bumpers and some metalwork behind them, then FMIC is the way to go, no question. No maintenance, fit and forget.

Aquamist also has it place.. and for ref, the price can be from £299+vat from some peeps for System 1S ;) :)

Bill :cheers:

Shock_Xe

Have you had your car re-tweekd for the FMIC plus extras u added yet bill?? or is it still running the Map for the Charge Cooler etc??? May gain some psi/driveability??

Wilko

Badge snob
Aquamist has allowed me to go from timing 5 seeing 3-6 kw of timing pull on block 20 to timing 9 with absolutely no timing pull.
With WI off and timing 9 I get 9-12kW of pull, so if it fails, it's still safe, and you'd feel it prety quick anyway.
The added bonus is it keeps induction temps down, which means the timing will be advanced even more, plus there is major charge density improvements from the lower temps.

On a glof it's difficult to get an effective front mount in without major bumper changes, or moving the rad stack back. WI is cheaper than either of these options.

WI definitely has it's place. I think that even bill with his new larger IC would see less timing pull on block 20 with it on, though he may no longer see significantly lower temps.

can you log block 3 and block 20 with wi on and off please bill and post the csv files if you get chance bill. :cheers:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Shock_Xe said:
Have you had your car re-tweekd for the FMIC plus extras u added yet bill?? or is it still running the Map for the Charge Cooler etc??? May gain some psi/driveability??

Nothing adjusted in map to well over a year.
CC to 10 row FMIC to aquamist+FMIC, to large FMIC and aquamist

and yes... its in dire need of remapping.

gain drivability? LMAO.. :roflmao:

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Wilko said:
On a glof it's difficult to get an effective front mount in without major bumper changes, or moving the rad stack back.

Believe me John its a lot easier on a Mk4 than a poxy ibiza i can tell you. :)

Wilko said:
can you log block 3 and block 20 with wi on and off please bill and post the csv files if you get chance bill. :cheers:
I will see what I can do.. when I get it back. :cheers:

Shock_Xe

ibizacupra said:
Believe me John its a lot easier on a Mk4 than a poxy ibiza i can tell you. :)

understatement :p

We about to do Andy's A3 soon, so hopefully its very similar setup to golf

Shock_Xe

cuprabaz said:
So it's a DIY job from hell, hope a&m's instructions are good!! lol

The Large core especially thus why we not releasing it.

The 10 core is no worse than the GRS was. Although that was a biatch.

We are still offering free fitting for a limited period, can turn em around in 3-4 hrs now assuming no major probs. Just seems that every car is slightly different on space. Must be pedro making it up as he goes along when assembling the cars

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Don't think i'll making use of the free fitting mike, it's a bit of a road trip from aberdeen. Hope there's loads of pictures in the instructions!

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Wilko said:
There are some plans afoot on that front for me bill, but retaining that stealthy look with a mahoosive fmic aint easy.

Yellow beezas with no interior and full cage, aren't stealthy at the best of times :p

you cant tell with the tints tho can ya :p
very stealthy

my golf with std bumper and large FMIC and you would'nt have known

Shock_Xe

cuprabaz said:
Don't think i'll making use of the free fitting mike, it's a bit of a road trip from aberdeen. Hope there's loads of pictures in the instructions!

:confused: :blink: fair enough.

we got lots of pics, one of the reasons for the free fitting cause we taking pics and notes every time to ensure a comprehensive insturctions set

Shock_Xe

ibizacupra said:
you got an angle grinder and industrial belt sander? :p :roflmao:

If you read the GRS instructions they tell you a file and a bit of sand paper :confused:

Not gonna lie you do need a grinder as it would take ages with a hack saw. Bought mine from makro for £13 neutool special 12" grinder :D Use that to trim the metal and the bumper as i did, thos it is a bit destructive on the bumper, a belt sander is best for cleaner/smoother finish, mine has chunks put of it :redface: suppose a smaller finer blade would of done it rather than the biggest/thickest/sharpest blade i could find :-o :clap: :thumbup:

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
ibizacupra said:
you got an angle grinder and industrial belt sander? :p :roflmao:

Actually bill i have a floor standing belt sander, a small grinder, large grinder, bench grinder and a few welders of various kinds!! my old man's a coded welder and fitter so i've got enough tools!! :bleh: :roflmao:

Plus i like doing these sort of things myself so i can see properly how it works/goes together etc.