what have you done to your car today ?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Braided lines? Can’t remember the brand I used on my bike but my old focus had HEL on I think. Good quality at an ok price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
So braided lines offer anything other than extra security? I’ve seen people say they improve brake performance etc

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Accossato lines on my Harley. Came from Italy. Very nice quality

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
So braided lines offer anything other than extra security? I’ve seen people say they improve brake performance etc

In my opinion. Unless you’re at top level then no. On the street it won’t make a difference. They’re more secure but technically will stretch less when pressure is applied as they’re covered in metal braid.

Someone else may have a different opinion. I like the way they look

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
In my opinion. Unless you’re at top level then no. On the street it won’t make a difference. They’re more secure but technically will stretch less when pressure is applied as they’re covered in metal braid.

Someone else may have a different opinion. I like the way they look

Yeah they were a good upgrade in the MtB world too incase you snag your brake lines on stuff. They look sick lol

Reactions: Sl1ced

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
They do sharpen the brake area up. And they tend to last longer, but there’s nothing wrong with oem/rubber lines. depends what you’re after

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Going to be sorting my brake master cylinder soon - can anyone confirm that the size flare spanner I need for the brake lines is 11mm? I went out to check on the car and for some unknown reason, my spanner set jumps from 10mm (which was too small) to 13mm (which was too big) so couldn't make sure.

While I'm at it, I'm thinking about changing my brake lines to braided hoses. Is it worth it? If I'm going to be bleeding the system anyway, it's something I may as well do all at the same time. The existing lines are fifteen years and 160k miles old, and if it actually improves braking, so much the better...

Yes should be a 11mm and at the joins off two metal brake pipes one will be a 11mm amd the other a 13mm

Reactions: iammooks and Sl1ced

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yes should be a 11mm and at the joins off two metal brake pipes one will be a 11mm amd the other a 13mm

Just to make sure I've got this right, one of the hard lines to the master cylinder is 11mm and the other is 13mm? I've seen a video on an Audi A3 where it says the same, so of course this means I've got to buy two flare spanners rather than just the one. :cautious:

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Just to make sure I've got this right, one of the hard lines to the master cylinder is 11mm and the other is 13mm? I've seen a video on an Audi A3 where it says the same, so of course this means I've got to buy two flare spanners rather than just the one. :cautious:

Nope just need a 11mm flare spanner

Reactions: iammooks

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Both 13mm beneath the master cylinder as I've recently had to remove mine after losing / leaving the poxy servo seal out.
It's a truly hateful job with the engine in place.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Nope just need a 11mm flare spanner

Ah - perfect. I understand now - the bolts holding it onto the servo are 13mm.

Given the bleed nipples are 11mm too I think, I won't end up rounding those off next time I bleed too.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Yep 13mm nuts onto the servo as well. The master cylinder bleed nipples are tiny, about 8mm or something?
But yeah the brake caliper bleed nipples and hardline fittings around the car are 11mm.

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Both 13mm beneath the master cylinder as I've recently had to remove mine after losing / leaving the poxy servo seal out.
It's a truly hateful job with the engine in place.

I'll just get both spanners then. Would be great if they sold an 11x13 flare spanner, as that would solve all my problems, but at least the Halfords ones are a fiver, so not going to bankrupt me.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I have a 11mm & 13mm brake flare spanner that I use around the car but seriously struggled to get it place and even once on the union I can barely turn it as space is so restricted.
I've just bought a ratcheting 13mm flare spanner that I intend on using to refit it this weekend but I still reckon I'll end up cutting it in half.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Yep 13mm nuts onto the servo as well. The master cylinder bleed nipples are tiny, about 8mm or something?
But yeah the brake caliper bleed nipples are hardline fittings around the car are 11mm.

They are indeed tiny - and the hose from a Gunson doesn't even get close to long enough to attach to the bleed nipples, so you've got to buy more hose if you don't want brake fluid all over the engine bay.

Not mincing my words here - I effing hate working on the brakes. Everything seizes, it's a nightmare to do anything near the master cylinder because you've got to take the boost pipe and EGR off to really get close, and there's always something that goes wrong somewhere along the line.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I have one of each of these.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.