what have you done to your car today ?

Yellow fr

Old smoker with a bit of poke
Sep 6, 2018
Shipley West Yorkshire
Honestly, that does help.

This whole process has been a pain, but working on a process of elimination, the brake fluid is new and has been bled a few times, my calipers are fine and don't have any leaks, the brake lines are fine, so it only leaves the master cylinder and the ABS.

I've learnt a lot about master cylinders refurbishing the spare I've got, and even though my brake fluid was rotten, I find it hard to believe the internals of the master cylinder are shot. The pedal was pretty good before I tried to bleed it for the first time, so either the bleed has revealed problems that the old brake fluid was hiding or it's something new - like the ABS. I tried it on a gritty road the other day and it didn't come on, so that's got me wondering...
Which caliper did you replace ?
If you replaced one off the rears it may still have some air trapped behind the piston
When we replace rear calipers or even the rear Flexi pipe we bleed them out and also remove the rear Caliper put the bleed bottle on open the bleed nipple and Turn the piston all the way back to see if any air is trapped if no air is seen close the bleed nipple and we refit the caliper and do the same to the other side of air is seen once the piston is all the way back close the bleed nipple and refit the caliper and pump the brake pedal and repeat till no air is seen if new pads are fit at the time we just fit one pad and then pump the brake Pedal to get the piston out about half way then turn it back in till no air is seen
You can also do the same with the fronts in some cases you don’t have to take the caliper off if you can use a pair off grips to push the pad and piston back to see if any air is trapped once all done recheck the fluid level and top up if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Which caliper did you replace ?
If you replaced one off the rears it may still have some air trapped behind the piston
When we replace rear calipers or even the rear Flexi pipe we bleed them out and also remove the rear Caliper put the bleed bottle on open the bleed nipple and Turn the piston all the way back to see if any air is trapped if no air is seen close the bleed nipple and we refit the caliper and do the same to the other side of air is seen once the piston is all the way back close the bleed nipple and refit the caliper and pump the brake pedal and repeat till no air is seen if new pads are fit at the time we just fit one pad and then pump the brake Pedal to get the piston out about half way then turn it back in till no air is seen
You can also do the same with the fronts in some cases you don’t have to take the caliper off if you can use a pair off grips to push the pad and piston back to see if any air is trapped once all done recheck the fluid level and top up if needed

It was the nearside rear that I replaced - I remember you suggesting doing that when I first changed it, but it's been bled by two garages since then and one of them took the brake line off to fit a crush washer, and I don't know how thorough they were when it came to squeezing as much air as possible out of the system. I've lent my caliper tool to a neighbour, but will get it back at some point and try winding back all the pistons.

Right now, everything just seems to point to having to spend more money, whether it's putting in the replacement master cylinder and bleeding everything once again before getting the ABS cycled, or just trying to bleed the brakes again in the hope something will work.

The worst thing is feeling like I know more than the garages do about this car - even when I know next to nothing - and having them dismiss everything I say, do a bleed and the problem's still there. "Next time we'll change the master cylinder" they say - yeah, I bet you will.

Yellow fr

Old smoker with a bit of poke
Sep 6, 2018
Shipley West Yorkshire
I work at a garage and with Vag cars more than any other we find that the best way to bleed them rear brakes is to do that
I replaced two brake pipes and both rear flex’s on the garage mk5 golf on Friday I just bleed the brakes in the normal way the pedal felt good got to work on Monday morning did a pump and squeeze on the rear brakes the pedal did not feel as good as it did on Friday but no air coming out so it was the turn back time on the rear pistons one side with just the Flexi changed no air the other side with the Flexi and and the short pipe from Flexi to caliper changed there was air in the caliper now I had nothing coming out while the piston was not all the home but when I got to the last turn to get the piston all the way back in I got lots off air coming out. I sorted that and the pedal had resistance from the first touch

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I work at a garage and with Vag cars more than any other we find that the best way to bleed them rear brakes is to do that
I replaced two brake pipes and both rear flex’s on the garage mk5 golf on Friday I just bleed the brakes in the normal way the pedal felt good got to work on Monday morning did a pump and squeeze on the rear brakes the pedal did not feel as good as it did on Friday but no air coming out so it was the turn back time on the rear pistons one side with just the Flexi changed no air the other side with the Flexi and and the short pipe from Flexi to caliper changed there was air in the caliper now I had nothing coming out while the piston was not all the home but when I got to the last turn to get the piston all the way back in I got lots off air coming out. I sorted that and the pedal had resistance from the first touch

I might have to drop you a message - if this is going to save me ripping everything out and putting a new master cylinder in, I might just want to go through a few steps in more detail...

Reactions: Yellow fr

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Ordered some injector cleaner last night - given the MoT is in a couple of months and I'd like to get a head start.

Something's definitely up with either my shocks or bushes though - opened the back door to check for dampness and when I closed the door - lightly - the car shook. I have a feeling that isn't supposed to happen.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I've changed the hatch struts for stronger ones. The hatch now opens with a press of the fob. Bit harder to close but not bad.
I did video it but says file too large.

Attachments

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Looking very fresh, Bruce. One thing that irritates me with the FR though, especially on the platinum grey ones is the silver mirror caps.
To me they always seemed like someone stuck some odd colour replacements on there as the silver and grey are so similar.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Looking very fresh, Bruce. One thing that irritates me with the FR though, especially on the platinum grey ones is the silver mirror caps.
To me they always seemed like someone stuck some odd colour replacements on there as the silver and grey are so similar.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Haha I didn’t even notice this. I have platinum grey and mine are colour coded!?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Re sealed loom hole under scuttle and done a bit to my special engine cover

Also found out why the rear window was steaming up. Loose washer connection.

One day this car will only present me with minor issues

Reactions: Rich.T

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Re sealed loom hole under scuttle and done a bit to my special engine cover

Also found out why the rear window was steaming up. Loose washer connection.

One day this car will only present me with minor issues

Oh also thought about going bam inlet mani when I get a fmic.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.