what have you done to your car today ?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
A load of jobs I’ve been meaning to do for a while. Replaced some vac lines etc. Fitted the new heat shield and filter.

I did however see I after I had 11 fault codes all pointing toward a short to Earth from n75 and o2 sensor. No EML. Cleared them and restarted the car and they haven’t come back all afternoon...... interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCR AL

Jun 5, 2020
Inspected some hoses for leaks and took the charge pipe off to clean it (boredom creeping in!)
I thought I might debaffle it while it was off but someone has beaten me to it!

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Moved the car so I could put it outside the house and give it a wash (first time in much too long) and the brakes are really confusing.

Last night when I turned the engine over, they were totally firm. After idling, they were soft. Still plenty of braking power, but soft all the same.

Today, they didn't seem as firm as when I turned the engine over yesterday, but again, they still did the job perfectly.

It's the inconsistency that's confusing me. I'm not nearly as pissed off at them as I was, more like it's a puzzle for me to solve, but it's still... perplexing.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Not done anything to the car but ordered a refurb kit and yellow spring for my dv as its been on there a few years so possibly due a freshen up.
Also a new cup holder as the spring has gone in mine. Have to lever it out with a mini screwdriver every time i want to use it.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Checked your brake fluid?

Religiously!

It's stayed exactly the same. Checked all the brake lines and had a garage do it as well and there's nothing leaking, nothing bulging.

I mean, as long as they get through the MoT they're obviously safe, but it's just weird.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Religiously!

It's stayed exactly the same. Checked all the brake lines and had a garage do it as well and there's nothing leaking, nothing bulging.

I mean, as long as they get through the MoT they're obviously safe, but it's just weird.

The more I Google, the more my symptoms come back as wheel bearings.

Looking at my paperwork, the only wheel bearing I've ever had replaced is the nearside front - and it was a fleet car with 80k on the clock when I first got it.

When I moved the car today, I drove with my window open, and I heard a sound that I thought was either a caliper dragging or a wheel bearing.

Does any of what I'm saying sound possible?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Only if there is play in a wheel bearing. The wheel will tip in slightly at the top under the weight of the car. Although,if there is play, you wont be able to see it. Will have to jack up each corner and check for play.
If theres play, itll be tilting the disc slightly aswell, ever so slightly pushing the pads back away from the disc.
Could be the problem. Worth a check.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Only if there is play in a wheel bearing. The wheel will tip in slightly at the top under the weight of the car. Although,if there is play, you wont be able to see it. Will have to jack up each corner and check for play.
If theres play, itll be tilting the disc slightly aswell, ever so slightly pushing the pads back away from the disc.
Could be the problem. Worth a check.

I'll have a look tomorrow - I was going to give it a clean and swap the broken clips on the rear beam for P-Clips, so it would give me a chance. I'm going to have to get a kneeling pad given the amount of time I spend fettling brakes and wheels. Makes me feel old.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
The more I Google, the more my symptoms come back as wheel bearings.

Looking at my paperwork, the only wheel bearing I've ever had replaced is the nearside front - and it was a fleet car with 80k on the clock when I first got it.

When I moved the car today, I drove with my window open, and I heard a sound that I thought was either a caliper dragging or a wheel bearing.

Does any of what I'm saying sound possible?

Dude if it passes the mot and they work let it go I feel for you

Reactions: iammooks

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Spent the afternoon making brackets and bits to hold the oil cooler and what's going to be the power steering cooler..... then forgot to take photos... came home and just had a quick mock build of the dash....

20210123_194704.jpg

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Dude if it passes the mot and they work let it go I feel for you

I've learnt a lot about my car doing this, but I've also learnt a lot more about myself - I'm a stubborn, stubborn arsehole who does not, cannot and will not admit defeat. I'm not sure I'll be able to stop - poor choice of words when it comes to brakes - until they're perfect. I can't deny I can get a little obsessive.

In other news, my homemade press did this today... It makes life much easier once you know it can be done... Now at least I'll be occupied with my bushes rather than obsessed with my brakes.

7f5bd271f22c2a5ab71731e174be3e77.jpg

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I've learnt a lot about my car doing this, but I've also learnt a lot more about myself - I'm a stubborn, stubborn arsehole who does not, cannot and will not admit defeat. I'm not sure I'll be able to stop - poor choice of words when it comes to brakes - until they're perfect. I can't deny I can get a little obsessive.

In other news, my homemade press did this today... It makes life much easier once you know it can be done... Now at least I'll be occupied with my bushes rather than obsessed with my brakes.

7f5bd271f22c2a5ab71731e174be3e77.jpg

You should ask [mention]Manic172 [/mention] about the brakes he bought. Maybe you need some of them bad boys?