what have you done to your car today ?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Your bonnet might be fine - it might be the bumper. When I took the bumper off my old one and put it back it did the same thing. Ended up pushing the plastic into the right position and pinning it down with a screw under the black plastic cover

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
So finally got a black lower double din console (mine was dark grey). Went to fit and noticed the 12 supply doesn’t fit, not a drama a job for later to fit a USB port there. Then noticed I’ve got the grey handbrake cover not black (god knows how)! And to top it off it’s got the small gear gator opening!

Do I cut it (don’t fancy that) or can I buy another gator to match the size? Will get it trimmed to match when I do my wheel if so.

9ae81a347fa9a89cf7615e4f9212f063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
44ed6e683c16a42ff0a46e570efde31f.jpg

Ignore the badly marked ash tray cover I will find an eBay replacement - don’t suppose anyone has the correct colour code?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
My old DD lower console had the smaller gaiter recess but I didn't like the gaiter that came with it so I Dremelled it out to fit.
It's not a huge amount to remove so go slowly and carefully or it'll end up too sloppy and pop out as it won't have the factory clip in sections.

I eventually sourced the correctly cut console in the end which also didn't have the armrest slot cut out as well but finding a console in this particular configuration took flipping ages and I've had a lot of DD consoles over the years.

As for the sliding lid ashtray, it's the same as the one used in the mk4 Golf & Bora.
I removed the scratched up gunky rubber coating with some acetone and washing up sponge though and it came up like new plastic.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty_b

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
My old DD lower console had the smaller gaiter recess but I didn't like the gaiter that came with it so I Dremelled it out to fit.
It's not a huge amount to remove so go slowly and carefully or it'll end up too sloppy and pop out as it won't have the factory clip in sections.

I eventually sourced the correctly cut console in the end which also didn't have the armrest slot cut out as well but finding a console in this particular configuration took flipping ages and I've had a lot of DD consoles over the years.

Do you remember if you took all of it out or just the sides?

Was it a Toledo gator that fits or just a specific year for the Leon? May see how much one is to try first (can’t uncut it).

I know what you mean about the right combo, thought I’d lucked out with this having the armrest cut out, that would be easier to cut.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
You'll basically need remove a small amount from the entire opening if I remember rightly.
It was a long time ago but I'm sure I made a little template up using the gaiter base.

My console set up came out of a Toledo V5 which had an armrest and the smaller no base trimmed leather gaiter.
I didn't want the armrest so chopped and bonded in a coin tray from a standard console.
I used my FR TDI gear gaiter with the wider grey base so had to modify the opening.

Like I say I've now got another console which came from a LCR that was specced with the larger gaiter and no armrest from the factory.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Tried to change the knackered linkage bushings with metal ones from Darkside. First one fit like a glove, the second one is obviously machined half a mm too small and now a lot of huffing and puffing it's bloody wedged on halfway.
Need to remove the relay bracket but I can't figure out how to get it out. I can't see how moving the water pipe would help and no mention of having to do that in the Forge short shifter instructions

video: https://www.veed.io/view/91fb41f1-fb2c-4e71-9d95-0e94b33ea109?sharingWidget=true

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Plan B - managed to get it off. Have just ordered a standard VW linkage. At the least the main one that takes all the load went in no problems. Just a bit annoyed I wasted £25 for one that doesn't fit.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
New linkages on and forward gears fine. But reverse is now weird and you have to push down, move to bottom left, move up instead of push down, move left, move up 🤔
Have reset the linkages twice.

NEUTRAL:

REVERSE:

Any ideas?

Last edited:

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Sanded and cut my bonnet last weekend. Weather was really hot (not sure anyone noticed) so the cutting compound was drying on the hot bonnet so didn't really do its job. Will try again probably next week.

Feels like I'm a week late but I don't think it's ever been done, so will be doing this at some point.

9106b33139d7f751b963d9bd6b64f4b9.jpg

Has anyone done it? I'm guessing it's an easy job, but not as easy as it should be?

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
Well had timing belt fitted other day, so decided to take her for a drive, did not get far and car had no power turned out to be coilpack(luckily had some) then 2nd attempt well almost went well till boost pipe pops off, not the garages fault as they were nervous about over tightening it as the pipe is carbon, so drove home again with no power lol. But I have a ultragauge em plus and that alerted me with code for the misfire before engine light came on and vacuum issue as soon as the pipe popped off really good bit of kit

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Driving to work thismorning and noticed that noise you get on corners when a cv joint is on its way out. Standing in next Saturday MOTing at the local garage so will see if they can sort it whilst im there.

Put £25 of petrol in today at £2.15 a litre. So no, the gauge didnt move far.

• Wow
Reactions: Dazzalcr

Dazzalcr

Aug 10, 2019
That's ridiculous that price😒, I'd hate to be a cashier cos although it's nout to do with them, they will no doubt be getting some abuse for it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.