what have you done to your car today ?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just give them a spray with wd40 and give them a couple off hits with the hammer undo them if tight undo a couple off turns and then tighten them back up and undo just work them in and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the plan. They're forward facing bolts, so they probably get a lot of abuse. I remember that Humble Mechanic on YouTube calls breaking those bolts on the subframe 'creating sadness'.

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Not done much today, one of the engineers at work machined down the nuts from the stud conversion for me (bought Racing Line, extremely well made but who though they needed a knurled end was very wrong)

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Just another day where it all goes to ****. Set about a few standard tasks. Then got dragged to work. Came back and I can’t remember where my maf screws have gone. (Anyone got some?)

Also set my catch can up to VtA. Need some more hose.

One of them days

Reactions: iammooks

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Just another day where it all goes to ****. Set about a few standard tasks. Then got dragged to work. Came back and I can’t remember where my maf screws have gone. (Anyone got some?)

Also set my catch can up to VtA. Need some more hose.

One of them days

I know the feeling. Went to put the car on axle stands and the jack I use is at my parents' place. Tried to use the suicide jack and its maximum height is about 10mm too short to get them under. Bought a new trolley jack at Machine Mart, which was perfect, but because I'm working on the street, the road is off-camber, so the car was swaying around like anything when I was jacking it up. Scary stuff.

Now the car is off the ground, I've sprayed PlusGas in all the places I can get to. I'm going to try one last time tomorrow to get the snapped bolt out with the wishbone still on the car, although the droplink is in the way, which makes it challenging. Failing that, I'll just try and loosen the wishbone bolts without snapping them. Fingers crossed...

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I know the feeling. Went to put the car on axle stands and the jack I use is at my parents' place. Tried to use the suicide jack and its maximum height is about 10mm too short to get them under. Bought a new trolley jack at Machine Mart, which was perfect, but because I'm working on the street, the road is off-camber, so the car was swaying around like anything when I was jacking it up. Scary stuff.

Now the car is off the ground, I've sprayed PlusGas in all the places I can get to. I'm going to try one last time tomorrow to get the snapped bolt out with the wishbone still on the car, although the droplink is in the way, which makes it challenging. Failing that, I'll just try and loosen the wishbone bolts without snapping them. Fingers crossed...

I'm just going to take it to a garage. It's too cold outside, I'm getting buzzed by cars and motorbikes all day because I'm working in the street and it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to take the wishbone off to try and get this bolt out and I'm convinced I'm going to snap the front bolt. Sometimes you're just not in the right mindset to be attacking stuff like this. If it were warmer this would be fine, but I just can't be doing with this crap right now.

Reactions: Rich.T and Sl1ced

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
I was going to say "Ever start one of those jobs that looks straightforward then it all goes to hell?" but reading the thread it seems like that's Mk1 life.

In other news, never before have I had a caliper bend the plate on a caliper wind back tool so that's a new experience. That and a bolt welding itself to a hole with no thread in it (how? Just... how?). And now I need to replace a brake line because I'm an idiot. And get spacers machined out because whilst they fit on the front they don't fit on the rear.

All I wanted to do was changed the brake discs ffs

Reactions: Gokiwi64

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Dropped the car at the local garage and will be £100 lighter in about an hour or so. They couldn't get the wishbone bolt out and so it's a new wishbone.

I could have fit it myself, but the car is tiring me out right now.

Will see if I can keep the old wishbone to try and get the old bushes out - just to see if the method I've got in mind will work before I start taking everything apart.

Reactions: Rich.T

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Shiney stuff turned up in the post.....
20210111_121633.jpg

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Dropped the car at the local garage and will be £100 lighter in about an hour or so. They couldn't get the wishbone bolt out and so it's a new wishbone.

I could have fit it myself, but the car is tiring me out right now.

Will see if I can keep the old wishbone to try and get the old bushes out - just to see if the method I've got in mind will work before I start taking everything apart.

Car sorted?

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Car sorted?

Hopefully! No bolts snapped while they took the wishbone out, so at least getting them out to put the bushes in won't be as worrying.

I'll get the MoT done as soon as I can and then I can get on with doing the bushes. I've still got the steering rack bush and dogbone to do, but I can't be doing with snapped bolts a couple of weeks before the MoT.

Sounds like I could do with getting the ABS bled too - just have to find somewhere that can do that round these parts.

Reactions: Rich.T

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Found out my re seal of the loom going through the bulkhead has made my leak worse lol. Oh well I know what I’m doing at the weekend. How easy is it to unplug it all and move the cables and cover out the way? I didn’t wanna break it last time

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Found out my re seal of the loom going through the bulkhead has made my leak worse lol. Oh well I know what I’m doing at the weekend. How easy is it to unplug it all and move the cables and cover out the way? I didn’t wanna break it last time

Drivers side?
They all unplug and are colour coded.

Also, quick update on the heat shield. Ive got a box and some packaging tape.
And will be popping into my old place of work on Saturday. So should be in the post sometime next week.

Rich

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018

I've still got some moisture in the driver's footwell, so am wondering if I need to either do my door again or if the loom needs some attention, so it might not just be you.

The thought of taking the scuttle and all the rest off again is a bit much right now though - and the butyl doesn't stick perfectly when it's damp either, so I just might wait until spring.

Reactions: Sl1ced

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Drivers side?
They all unplug and are colour coded.

Also, quick update on the heat shield. Ive got a box and some packaging tape.
And will be popping into my old place of work on Saturday. So should be in the post sometime next week.

Rich

You’re a star!! And yes drivers mate. I thought I’d cured it but it was swimming today

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I've still got some moisture in the driver's footwell, so am wondering if I need to either do my door again or if the loom needs some attention, so it might not just be you.

The thought of taking the scuttle and all the rest off again is a bit much right now though - and the butyl doesn't stick perfectly when it's damp either, so I just might wait until spring.

I just keep my armbands and swimming goggles in the door pocket

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
It took me 3 attempts to get the scuttle area sealed to the point where if the car is sat flat (ish) and level (ish) it doesnt leak but as soon as I park it on my drive (sloped) it leaks - I gave up....

Reactions: BadBoy03
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise