what have you done to your car today ?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Got excited cos my riv nuts arrived, then realised my drill was flat. On the flip side noticed when I pulled out my parking space on full lock either way when I first set off I get an odd crunch from the front left, like I’m driving over sticks. I have 2x new shafts and cv inner and outer. Wheel bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Got excited cos my riv nuts arrived, then realised my drill was flat. On the flip side noticed when I pulled out my parking space on full lock either way when I first set off I get an odd crunch from the front left, like I’m driving over sticks. I have 2x new shafts and cv inner and outer. Wheel bearings?

Maybe suspension top mount. My passenger side had water ingress due to a blocked drainage hole...ended up rusting the top mount bearing. Replacements are cheap

Reactions: Sl1ced

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Maybe suspension top mount. Mine passenger side had water ingress due to a blocked drainage hole...ended up rusting the top mount bearing. Replacements are cheap

How could I diagnose this mate?

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
How could I diagnose this mate?

Jack the front end up (preferably on jack stands) so the suspension isn't loaded and remove the wheels for head access if needed. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if the noise goes away. The noise might changed to a more " quieter grinding noise" if it's the bearing. Also gives you the chance to check shafts etc

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Jack the front end up (preferably on jack stands) so the suspension isn't loaded and remove the wheels for head access if needed. Turn the steering wheel lock to lock and see if the noise goes away. The noise might changed to a more " quieter grinding noise" if it's the bearing. Also gives you the chance to check shafts etc

It happens as I’m pulling away really slowly

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex

I recently had this when stopping and pulling away a slow creaking grind

Turned out my subframe bolts were loose, the bushes are prob shot to sh1t now lol

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I recently had this when stopping and pulling away a slow creaking grind

Turned out my subframe bolts were loose, the bushes are prob shot to sh1t now lol

It’s only as I pull away slowly, if I’m on full locks either way and always front left wheel

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands

If it doesn't happen when you pull off straight, then it's something to do the steering components...like cv outer joints & top mount bearings. The top mount allows the shock stut and spring to rotate as you steer. Cv joints can split and leak grease everywhere and dry out the joint causing a grinding and popping noise. Either noise can be located by jacking the car up (safely) without the wheels on (y)

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
If it doesn't happen when you pull off straight, then it's something to do the steering components...like cv outer joints & top mount bearings. The top mount allows the shock stut and spring to rotate as you steer. Cv joints can split and leak grease everywhere and dry out the joint causing a grinding and popping noise. Either noise can be located by jacking the car up (safely) without the wheels on (y)

Ok thanks mate like I say I’ve only just replaced both shafts complete. Will have a check of the top mounts, actually they was an advisory on my mot history I looked up maybe two years ago

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
Spent more money on shiny stuff in boxes
16100178730766309171680349992520.jpg
16100178831706186841573545821310.jpg

Reactions: Rich.T and Connor H
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.