What is a simple way of updating my 2018 Cupra R's sat nav New SD Card, sell the old one?

ysfdncr

Jan 17, 2016
New Jersey, USA
Ahh I have a mate in his 20's with a Golf R he is into this stuff. [I am a silver haired owner]
You ID'd my model last time but now seems uncertain again. It was a MIB2 high it was believed.
But from previous its a std? But on my 2018 CUPRA R a high.

Its Device part No 5F0035020F
BUT :- 2 SD card slots in Glove box with a V7 SD card in slot 1
This is MIB2 High. No need any sd card! It has internal memory.

Sent from mobile

Tell

Staff member
As an 80 yo I have just updated my Mib2 to 1520 following the work around - No problem at all.
Tell I finally resolved my svm error !!

Power to 80 year olds it will come to us one day.

How did you resolve the SVM reverting back, clearing it and putting in all those multiple overall files as I've suggested. The other way is just keep hammering away with the recalc till they go. I don't bother about them now on the standard or high - had success at clearing them on the high. On the standard not getting them in the first place is good. I see on German boards they just shrug their shoulders and say nobody in the dealership is really interested... they can't fix them, themselves. Always best to reboot the unit before reinserting new maps if SVM errors are a worry.

Reactions: Bedlam

Tell

Staff member
Ahh I have a mate in his 20's with a Golf R he is into this stuff. [I am a silver haired owner]
You ID'd my model last time but now seems uncertain again. It was a MIB2 high it was believed.
But from previous its a std? But on my 2018 CUPRA R a high.

Its Device part No 5F0035020F
BUT :- 2 SD card slots in Glove box with a V7 SD card in slot 1

Image on here with the high map software on it.

Mib2 high you need the Yorkshire retro fitters you can trust.

Might have a V7 card in but it isn't using it.

If you press the media button and see "Jukebox" it's a MIB2 high.

jonial

Jonial
Nov 1, 2003
Garstang
www.g4ial.com
Power to 80 year olds it will come to us one day.

How did you resolve the SVM reverting back, clearing it and putting in all those multiple overall files as I've suggested. The other way is just keep hammering away with the recalc till they go. I don't bother about them now on the standard or high - had success at clearing them on the high. On the standard not getting them in the first place is good. I see on German boards they just shrug their shoulders and say nobody in the dealership is really interested... they can't fix them, themselves. Always best to reboot the unit before reinserting new maps if SVM errors are a worry.
Its a long story Can I pm you at all?

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks TELL and YSFDNCR Pressed MEDIA and an Option is JUKEBOX.
SO MIB2 High then.

Customer care just sent me this link via parts manager at Heritage SEAT Bristol. NO CHARGE. WITH instructions.

Reactions: jcbmally

Tell

Staff member
:) I dont know. Maybe someone made a joke.
Maybe it was used as a data source just to update internal map data.

Sent from mobile

Not big enough, Seat standard cards are currently 16GB. Need 32 GB that the high uses... note thou. I keep saying only use Fat32 and some clever clogs ignore. I see foreign board somebody using the latest high maps formated to NTFS and they would not fit on the card on a 32GB card. Should use FAT32 whether standard or high if you get the urge to format. High maps fit on that, class 10 SD card with FeCs to allow map updates.

Answer Poly's question most Seat dealers really don't have a clue about navigation. It's not correctly supported on cars in the UK. Have this daft thing about using your phone when the vehicles mapping system is integrated into the car with the next turn on the panel in front. Hardly uses the connect features of the facelifted cars if you aren't using the built in maps. So why bother.... I just go hmmm when they say you can use your phone and give a pained look. MIB3 gets the traffic reports online now so the argument about TMC being not as good has evaporated. All the updates online if you fork out for the ongoing payment when ever the price list is published. Have we seen it ?. I don't think so.

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
SO MIB2 High then.

Customer care just sent me this link via parts manager at Heritage SEAT Bristol. NO CHARGE. WITH instructions.

All the Cupra R's in the UK have Nav High :)

I've used Kieren for hardware retrofits before and he's based around Bridlington...

...but before you shell out any money for anything. Check if you can still update to the latest version for free as @paddy6789 did.

Then if you do have to shell out you have he likes of Kieren on the link above, or the link below. Both people you can drive to to be able to do this kind of stuff who come highly recommended:

• Love
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
SO MIB2 High then.

That's kind of them but Mapcare isn't supported in the UK so only if your complementary one year mapcare which was provided in 2019 allowed it. Do the FEC test I described to check. The answer will be no if it hasn't been modded.

Second that link has all old maps on it that why we look to VW and Skoda. Saying that Seat do have the latest standard map on their server I posted the link up today but not accessed though that page. All maps for November 2020 are available for the standard and high see the resource section which provides the links:

For the standard you have the "workaround" for the high the cost effective way is to find a reliable retro fitter to adjust your FECs and to the one posted up above. If Mapcare was supported in the UK you could buy an update... cost you about £600 for 3 years or get it mobbed for couple of hundred or so with latest firmware. What the guys do on here. On the continent they tootle off to retrofitters once their first 3 years runs out that they originally bought for about £110 (which we couldn't) or don't bother updating the maps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damo H

Tell

Staff member
All the Cupra R's in the UK have Nav High :)

I've used Kieren for hardware retrofits before and he's based around Bridlington...

...but before you shell out any money for anything. Check if you can still update to the latest version for free as @paddy6789 did.

Then if you do have to shell out you have he likes of Kieren on the link above, or the link below. Both people you can drive to to be able to do this kind of stuff who come highly recommended:

I would recommend rather than doing a long download to check that you can't update the maps just do the FeC check from the ready reckoner... that's why I produced it:
>>
Mib2 High / Seat Plus Map Update

The ability to update the maps on these units is defined by the navigation FEC. No workaround was been found except to update the FECs (Function Enabling Code). Essentially the software in the unit runs like a 60s / 70s computer program with a parameter file to control how it behaves. The FEC is a sequence of codes that enable certain functions. In this case we are interested in the navigation high FEC. Experience with the original FECs and a retrofit when the navigation stopped working, a Google of Audi FECs provided a key as to how the navigation FEC works. It is this FEC that is the navigation Mapcare code.

A decode of this code enables you to identify the limits of being able to update the maps in the unit. A ready reckoner was produced for the Seat navigation high FEC. Mapcare is not currently supported in the UK although retrofit software follows the same controls. Whether non UK based, factory or retrofit, reviewing the Mapcare FEC tells you whether you have the ability to update the maps and when this ability will runs out.

How to do it on a Seat MIB2 Plus / High unit:

1. Hold Menu button until service mode shows.
2. Press "Function enabling codes (FEC, SWaP)"
3. Press "Installed codes"

Look for the FEC starting with 073 and note down the two last characters.

Use the table to decode the last two characters:

Code Allowed - Map Update month

112015 June
132015 Nov
152016 June
172016 Nov
192017 June
1a
1b2017 Nov
1c
1d2018 June
1e
1f2018 Nov
212019 June
232019 Nov
252020 June
272020 Nov
292021 June
2a
2b2021 Nov
2c
2d2022 June
2e
2f2022 Nov
312023 June
332023 Nov
352024 June
372024 Nov
392025 June
3a
3b2025 Nov
3c
3d2026 June
3e
3f2026 Nov
412027 June
432027 Nov
452028 June
472028 Nov
492029 June
4A
4B2029 Nov
4C
4D2030 June
4E
4F2030 Nov
512031 June
532031 Nov
552032 June
572032 Nov
592033 June
5A
5B2033 Nov
5C
5D2034 June
5E
5F2034 Nov

For example if the Mapcare code ends in 22 you can load up to and including the June 2019 release but can't go beyond. 16 covers June 2016 but not beyond. 10 doesn't include 2015 June. 3f means you can update to November 2026 etc.

Those people with Mapcare or retrofits can check up to when they can update their maps against the serial release.

Derivation is here, post 1914:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/navigation-system-updates.388586/page-96#post-4894481

Subsequent to producing the "ready reckoner", in 2019 Seat released "unlimited Mapcare" in Europe on specific models (at least Leon Cupra with navigation high) (I.e. in the Dutch market, Leon Cupra 2019 models).

The unlimited code which you need on a retrofit to fall inline with this is:

073000EEDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_Lifetime_Mapcare

That particular code gives you updates to the year 2074 and should be the one that retro-fitters that claim unlimited updates should aim at. The code allows Seat to continue to offer Mapcare plus specials that have "unlimited" Mapcare rather than 3 years or 1 years. VW and Skoda have dropped Mapcare so you do not see navigation FECs in their screen subsequently but on older models you may, dependent on region. All Seat navigation high FECs start with 073000 the next two characters in Hex define the limits to the update.

<<

Then get Kieren or someone like him to give you the 073000EE - you will be good to the year 2074... probably the VAG group will have stopped supporting MIB2 by then. That retrofitter I hear good things about. Bridlington by the sea as opposed to Doncaster not by the sea. Clue.

Last edited:

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for all that great info again Tell.
[AS OP What is a simple/easy way!!]

I have complained to Seat Garage and Customer Care. They are now saying to download the maps from the site onto an SD card. As I do not have Mapcare so ignore warnings?
Then put it in the unit and update it.

MMM Now that sounds TOO easy

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Thanks for all that great info again Tell.
[AS OP What is a simple/easy way!!]

I have complained to Seat Garage and Customer Care. They are now saying to download the maps from the site onto an SD card. As I do not have Mapcare so ignore warnings?
Then put it in the unit and update it.

MMM Now that sounds TOO easy
That’s literally what I done on mine (nav high) and it worked. I think Tell has checked my FEC for map updates and I’ve got maybe one more update (probably not due to covid). If I try an update in June next year for example for a map set that was released after the date that the FEC allows me to update to, the update method I done before just won’t work. If I recall correctly, it just crashes and needs an update from a working file set to correct.

Reactions: Polly

Tell

Staff member
That’s literally what I done on mine (nav high) and it worked. I think Tell has checked my FEC for map updates and I’ve got maybe one more update (probably not due to covid). If I try an update in June next year for example for a map set that was released after the date that the FEC allows me to update to, the update method I done before just won’t work. If I recall correctly, it just crashes and needs an update from a working file set to correct.

It won't recognise the update after the navigation FeC is out. That's where I was with my 2016 Ateca with the high I ordered. At that time you didn't even get a complementary year. Your FeC was set at the build date so you couldn't do anything. 2019 they got more generous in some markets.

I always update with the SWDL command as per the resource thou I think the front screen way of doing it may be available once the navigation FeCs are done, but quicker just to get it out of the way with the backend menu. 40 minutes or so keeping power to the unit, door open etc. Open and closed. Generally fit one toilet visit in ?. The screen comes back after one or two reboots and you exit out. Turn back on and it's all fine. You see a set of rows of Ys to the attributes of the navigation files in the backend menu which means it's good. Err on those attributes before you start means your FeC isn't up to it... So don't try. Been there, done that.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.