Whining sound with rev's, bad MPG, power loss. Please help! :( Pics+Vid

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Hello people, im calling upon some advice please!!

This is a 130PD Sport 1.9TDi 2004 with 70,000 miles.

For quite some time now I've had a whining sound coming from the engine bay, I cant hear it unless the revs are going up and down. Worse mainly on the return to tick-over.

It happens in a stationary position also so eliminates any gearbox issues. I'm thinking turbo here :( There has also been on heavy boost a loudish whistle sound but comes and goes.

When in gear, decelerating using the engine in 2nd mainly its loudest. Im sure the car is not as powerful as it was before feeling definite loss in power lower mainly down in the rev range. Feeling very sluggish.!

My MPG has become shocking, long journeys on M'way I struggle to get over 50.

I have had boost leak trouble before and had the pipe replaced and have made a sh*t temporary solution until I get it changed again with some handy cable ties which most likely arent doing much, but this is a just in case solution, to narrow it out. This has not changed the noise!

When revving stationary you can hear it and have made a little home movie here, if it helps the situation http://stuswebsite.com/car/20032010.mp4

And Ive noticed some oil eeesing out of this thing which is the MAF or EGR??

20032010023.jpg

The noise seems to be most loudest from the top left area of the picture below!!

20032010021.jpg

PLEASE HELP :)

-Stu

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Buntingford, Hertfordshire
Personally I think that it sounds fairly normal. The only thing that sounds slightly out of place is a noise after you come off the accelerator. Is that the noise you're talking about?

That is the EGR valve and the oil on the side is a bit alarming, though it's hard to tell from the picture where abouts its coming from. My first thing to do would be take off the EGR valve (can find info about it by searching) and look to see how clogged it is with gunk.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
thanks davidmills, yea thats the noise. Although when driving its much more noticeable when accelerating and decelerating in 1/2/3 mainly.

Ok so that is the EGR valve, could that be making some sort of noise under hard acceleration, like a quick whistle blow? and/or cause a loss or power and efficiency?

Is it a good idea to get a new one or clean it all out? as you said to have a look around, I heard you can just remove or bypass it competly?! Good or bad?

Thanks!!
-Stu

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Not sure how much you know about EGR valve, but what it does is recirculate exhaust gases into the engine to increase temperature and therfore reduce NOx emissions. It only recirculates when idling, part throttle or when warming the engine up. The main problem with it is that the exhaust gases are full of soot left over from the diesel burn and when combined with the oily air create a thick gunk. This builds up over time and restricts airflow resulting in reduced power and mpg. Cleaning it will remove all this gunk.

From looking at you picture I would guess that the oil is coming from the EGR valve. That would mean there is a crack or gap in it which would let oil escape and create a noise and loss of boost. But where abouts on the EGR its leaking I don't know. Cleaning may help identify if it is leaking and where abouts if this is the case.

I'm not saying that it will fix the problem but you are only going to benfit the car by doing it and may lead you to what the problem is.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
I may try to give it a clean today... any household things to clean it well?

Ive been reading its easily taken off, I hope this is the case!

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Parrafin works best to clean it which you can get from most big DIY stores. It's simple to remove. Have to disconnect all hoses and such connected then it's 5 bolts. Thing is though the bolts are hard to reach. Because of this it can take a long time. Maybe wait until you've got a whole day free with no time constraints as you don't want to find your car's in bits and you need it for work in the morning! Lots of threads about it on SCN about how to clean it.

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Haha yeh well dont think ill be doing it today then!!

I did on the other hand go pop off the SMIC hose to have a look inside and it didnt look massively clogged up. Some obvious amount of build up but nothing too extreme.

See the pics from what I could get my crap phone in the gap!

21032010027.jpg

21032010026.jpg

The 70,000 service is due around now - May as I did it early last year with problems so its just over a year now since the cambelt was changed.

Should I just get them to look @ it when it goes in?

-Stu

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
lol do you mean the millions of cable ties 'carefully' constructed to make a clamp?!!?

-Stu :)

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
i couldnt really tell from the mp3...

would you call it a police siren? mine has this, the missus drove my car and she kept looking behind to see where the police car was :cartman:

Seat_Stu

Oct 16, 2006
Yeh the mp3 isnt great, thought it might help either way. I guess you could describe it as a siren but just not as loud as you seem to be describing!! Its not really high pitched either so hmm.

So, other than some leak somewhere, what do you reckon it is peoples?!

-Stu

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.