Why doesn't my car pop and backfire like my mate's Golf?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Popping & banging is just excess unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust system, and I wouldn't think in a daily driver car this should be recommended at all.

I don't get this obsession either, it has no benefit to performance and as far as I can tell just makes a scene in public to draw attention to yourself. If you drive in TOCA then fair do's, but otherwise....

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
full milltek system pops and bangs like mad

and another 30bhp for 500quid unless you consider NOS yes your are dreaming

simple swap to k03s will give nowhere near that much

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Its not just exhausts that will allow "pops and bangs" , you will need to have the mapping changed to allow fueling on overrun. All modern fuel injected cars on overrun use no fuel at all (replaces what we used to do with carb engines, dip the clutch and switch the engine off going down hill then lift the clutch to "bump" start the engine to save fuel. Your mates golf prob has a ecu fault that allows the fuel injectors to continue working even on overrun causing the fuel to explode in the hot exhaust.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i disagree sorry mate, i've heard all the stories and pub claims but in my experience a stage 2 k03s will only hit 230-240hp with a pinch of salt. which is 10-20max over what can be achieved with k03

mapping causing the pops and bangs? give me a break! :lol:
all cars can have excess unburnt fuel find its way into the exhaust...it has zero to do with what map you have, less restictive exhaust, full system even more so

focus ST pops as standard!

Last edited:

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
My car is booked in for a decat and downpipe on the 4th of may. I am then going to book the car in for a custom code stage two.

Will the map take care of the lambda's? And will it still pass the Mot when i put the old cat back on?

Cheers Ross.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
god listen to yourselves!

next it will be who can do me a six tailpipe exit exhaust for my ibiza cupra!

im soooo selling my car i feel like a chav just having the thing sat on the drive! mite find a blanket to cover it

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
tbh its a shame! ill defo be selling up! my worst nitemare is some chav coming up to me in a car park and saying "nice car ive got 1 its got a dump valve and everyting you get me!" "what boost you running innit" and so on!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.