cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Cars looking very nice there mate and the engine bay is getting the bling factor too :) Your FMIC looks maahoosive too, such a joke when you compare it to the original one.

Bet your not looking forward to fitting the INA manifold, i know im not :(

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
So the new cooler is only a little bit larger then the standard SMIC then :lol:

Just a tad bigger not much in it i would say:lol:

Cars looking very nice there mate and the engine bay is getting the bling factor too :) Your FMIC looks maahoosive too, such a joke when you compare it to the original one.

Bet your not looking forward to fitting the INA manifold, i know im not :(

It is maahoosive, its bigger than the forge one thats for sure, runs similar pipework to them but no cut and shuts with sharp bends, so when i go hybrid the pipework should flow alot better.

That will be getting fitted when i go hybrid so some time yet till its fitted, it doesnt seem that hard to fit fiddly is one word i would use.

Cheers Martin, you and roly was the reason i wanted 1.8T power.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
By painting that, wont you have reduced the thermal efficiency of it?

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Very minimal if any Al,

Its a very light coating you can still see the silver through it just. Alot of people de bling there FMIC and oil coolers, Bill Brock bank has done it on a big turbo build on a polo just now a few others.

So it cant make that much of a difference. It's big enough.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Well my highflow manifold has finaly arrived from the states looks good quality, some casting roughness on the inside runners but going to sand them and polish them up i think.
Photo0099.jpg

Photo0098.jpg

The next pictures are from the supplier, showing the increase in runners and mine are pretty much the same using the vernier, roughly 50% larger runners which should improve airflow giving more ponnies.

Stock-
1_8tStockExhManFlow.jpg

Highflow-
1_8TManifoldFlow034.jpg

:win:

Then i decided that i had enough of having no parcel shelf listening to the road noise and crappy standard speakers, I have no pics of how it started off but it was a grey parcel shelf,

So step one was to cut holes in it for the 6x9's then support the inside of the parcel shelf so that the speakers could be screwd down sufficently and the parcel shelf would not flex, having them fixed underneath.

Step two was to fix the parcel shel and recover over top with parcel shelf cloth from flea bay good quality imo very oem leaving a stealth look, so no tea leaf has a reason to go into the car. And you are left with this
Underneath -
Photo0100.jpg

from the top -
Photo0101.jpg

So the road noise has been reduced greatly and i can now listen to proper tunes with some base!

It should be good fun fitting the manifld but leaving that untill i fit the hybrid turbo,

cheers for looking.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
I pray they don't i won't have a car left.

Now now impatience is a sin i shall get round to it,

next is a good proper clean to get the car ready and protected for the up and coming winter

get my brakes done at some point soon.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Been quite a while since I done an update on the car, with all this weather no proper car pictures could be taken, but I decided to refurbish my brakes and get new pads, fluid and fit my braided lines and give them a proper clean up and a coat of paint to freshen them up -

What it looked like when cleaned, the usual fade and peel of the brembos was doing my head in so allot of degreaser and a power hose later they were looking better -

Photo0115-1.jpg

I have no photos of the steps of sanding and priming due to them trying my patience with a few pistons seizing; now I know why I thought my brembos were crap! I got the pistons free and cleaned up and inspected the o-rings just for peace of mind even though no leaks were visible. So the hunt was on to find a kit as my dust seal caps were shot -

Photo0117.jpg

After speaking to brembo and a company down beside Silverstone I was having no luck, a quick call to willie and he mentioned he got his from Sere motors cheers david and willie. Then I got told they only had the dust seal caps for a LCR, so then a search on the forum and a call to Badger5 we worked out that the pistons were the same size so in theory the dust seals should fit. I went ahead and ordered them and they fitted like a glove. Now I had working callipers they were stripped down to finish sanding and get some paint on them.

So father was out with the compressor again and the finished product of the brembos back to their former glory. Quite nice with the new stickers in place and quite a few coats of lacquer
Photo0125.jpg

Photo0126-1.jpg

The rears were also done but no photos of them unassembled.

The new pads and new braided brake lines with stainless fittings (supplied by Camerons Autotech in Cumminestone, really impressed with their place) were fitted to the front and rear and new fluid
Front
Photo0127.jpg

Fittings for the front
Photo0128-1.jpg

Rear
Photo0130-1.jpg

The brakes are now a lot more responsive and in the future epileptically grooved disks are on the cards to put the shackles on hybrid power, for the minute the standard brembo disks have plenty of life and do the job just fine.

I am annoyed I never took any photos of the car once I did a two day clean of the car, but it was just thrown out of the garage into rain afterwards[:@]

I used the below products and the car looked better than new -
Photo0124.jpg

I'm sure you know the procedure so not going to bother with them but the last touch, lime prime and banana armour work wonders

I have also been beginning to collect parts for some hybrid treatment so I am getting nice pile of parts building up! One sun strip later and I got Willies old LCR maf so I can take out the LCR element and fit my Ibiza one (Willie makes a grand cuppa). Thinking about de-screening the housing to maximise airflow but still reading up on the pros and cons.

Then a call to Backdraft and I got a 2nd hand set of Bam injectors with 30k miles from a TT cheers Alex -
Photo01352.jpg

With Xmas and everything coming up the parts buying and mods slowed down also due to having the 60k service coming up i have started to collect parts for that thanks to RobDon for the timing belt, the cars only done 54K but better to be safe and sorry and get a metal impellor water pump in there. Need to order the pump and tensioner kits as i already have the rest.

Then the hybrid build will commence. The joys of modifying

Thanks for Reading
Wilz

Last edited:

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
Nice work on bringing the brembos back to their former glory, looking great now. I still have a nice little pile of parts for the hybrid conversion, but your doing it the right way, bit by bit spreading the cost. It will all be worth it when its done, well thats what i keep saying to myself anyway:whistle:

Keep up the good work mate

PS thats a serious amount of detailing products you got there, get some pics up of the car nice and clean when you can :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.