window regulator problem

mgbond

You remove the lock system with the metal pannel. It's all attached. The instructions earlier in this thread go through it bit by bit.

Oh and it is an 8mn hex.

It's easy.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Didn't you pop the plastic rivets out so you can leave it in situ? My door is bare at the moment with the metal panel in the house and I can still lock my car manually!
Ak

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
If you do remove the lock its not an 8mm hex, its an M8 triple square bit (12 point), also known as XZN bit. (same as the bolts holding the driveshaft to the gearbox drive flanges)

images

You risk damaging the head of the bolts using other bits that may appear to fit.

mgbond

Didn't think of that so could of left it in place but was following insructions (maybe not very well).

No one had herd of the triple bit and an alen key bit does fit very well. My mate got back from his hols just after I fitted it back and said "yeah I got one of those bits". Lol

Ben Cupra2

Aug 12, 2011
Leicestershire
I've just replaced the window regulator without moving the lock and it works fine. Put the door card back on etc but now the door will not open from the inside or outside.. HELP!

Ben Cupra2

Aug 12, 2011
Leicestershire
Yea I thought so, but guessing not. Need to try and get the door card off now with the door closed. Thankfullly I didnt put any bolts in it just in case but it might stilll be tricky.

When I pull the handle I can tell that it pulls the cable but it doesnt seem to do anything at the other end.

Grant77r

same problem

hi guys i havent posted on here for a while...

ive had numerous problems with my tdi the past weeks, firstly the altrnator free-wheels seizes causing me to get a new, and ht cable and fusebox... as it melted the first one :/

anyway after getting that sorted.. driving the car fine... no problems.. until i get the same noise iv just read you guys heard... then as i press the window button the car cuts out :shrug:

it starts back up fine, so i drive it home and take the door to peices and see the wire thats all meshed up and :censored: !! however as i have no money to fix this problem at the moment i put it back together leaving the window closed... drive around the block, no problems!

pull up on drive way, press the window buttons (as force of habit to check there all closed) doh! the car then cuts out... completely Kaput!! and wont start, no power what so ever!! HELP!!

thanks guys

Grant!

Dezeze

Jun 4, 2011
Swindon
Somebody must've pissed off the Window Regulator gods today because mine "whirred"and collapsed on the way home!
Dreading the cost to get it fixed, took everything off today, and it proved quite daunting. Got the plate off but couldn't move it out due to the runners!
Fail, big time.
May bite the bullet and let a stealer bum rape me!
Serves me right for letching at ladies in short shorts with nil fat, big booberelos and awesome sleeves(tattoos)!
As the wife says, karma!

Grant77r

little bit to add to my last post... come out to the car this morning, after having to leave it unlocked on the drive due the lack of any power in the car..!! all of a sudden theres power and it locks and unlocks fine and starts up fine... any ideas on what the windows doing to short out the car!?
cheers Grant

daz20vt

LCR
Sep 26, 2007
Worcestershire
guys-- just need clarification

im lifter on passanger side front window packed up yesterday, took it all apart and the one lifter had snapped which caused the cable to get chewed up in regulator.. the motor is fine so just need new cable and regulator

DID you guys for certain say the mk4 golf lifter fits?

Law.

Oct 23, 2011
Southampton, UK
Bumping this old thread.

This job is driving me nuts, and I haven't even got the damn thing out yet!

Can anybody explain how to get the panel off without removing the locking system? Not sure which plastic rivets to remove.

PS. If anybody in/near W.Sussex feels like lending a hand, I am happy to donate :lol:

Last edited:

Grant77r

hello mate... right .... inn short for now mate... as it was a long time ago i did this... also please dont hold me responsible for inaccurate info! :/ its a vague memory.. but i hope it helps a little at least.

all from memory aswell im afraid... undo all bolts holding door card on... including ones under the handle. (prise off with small screwdriver wrapped i tape )

u might also have to prise the door card off as its also stuck on with silicone substance, and poppers things...

once off youll notice its still attached by electrics.. however they all have clip plugs to it can be fully taken off.. as far as i remember, i didnt have to take any locking system apart for it a\t all just slipped it through the hole i the door card... from there... the metal plate is f**king awkward, as to get it off you firstly need to tape the window at certain point... ( from this bit onwards mate i watched a clip of youtube how too.. but i cant find the vid now :( ) again this is all from memory so dot hold me responsible in any way... there are two big gromets on the metal plate which when undone reveal the sliders for the window.. (if window is done right up, bring it down untill two clasps come into veiw,, this is where you need to tape the window in to place, as when this is undone, the window will fall!!!!!!

from here the plate as i remember has to slide up the door outwards... i think!!

really sorry i cant be of more help... it was a long time ago i did this and unfortunatly didnt take any pictures... have a butchers on google and youtube for tips :) thats where i found most of mine!

also if your anywhere near kent i may be able to lend a hand...

Grant77r

guys-- just need clarification

im lifter on passanger side front window packed up yesterday, took it all apart and the one lifter had snapped which caused the cable to get chewed up in regulator.. the motor is fine so just need new cable and regulator

DID you guys for certain say the mk4 golf lifter fits?

hi mate mine was from ebay, i was luckly and found a plate with motor and cables already on it from a scrapped seat leon... really not sure of golf mvIV ones fitting :(

sorry i couldnt help mate

Grant

Law.

Oct 23, 2011
Southampton, UK
Thanks for the advice Grant77r, I've followed most of the guides but can't seem to get the inner panel out. Also another problem is that the window is stuck down so I can't get the clips up high enough to undo them and get the window out!

Guess I'm just going to have to keep fiddling and see what I can do! What a pain in the ass!

Cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.