Windscreen wipers jamming

neovo94

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I noticed the windscreen wipers were beginning to move very slowly. They then eventually completely jammed and will only move a bit before having to manually pull them back to the park position.

I read on another site that if you spray lube on the linkages and pivots it can free them up. I tried this and it worked slightly as they moved on their own but have now jammed again. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess its going to be a visit to the dealers and sounds an expensive fix??

Thanks

neovo94

Just had it looked at and a new wiper motor is required, £160. Seems like quite a rare fault but there you go.

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
isn't that rare, im having the same problem but i havent done anything to it yet, they start really slow but they're okay after a little while.

neovo94

It could be that the wiper linkages are getting gunked up as that was the cause of my problems which eventually took out the motor. If you can get some spray like WD40 onto them that might help free them up.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It could be that the wiper linkages are getting gunked up as that was the cause of my problems which eventually took out the motor. If you can get some spray like WD40 onto them that might help free them up.

I suppose that was always going to happen as you were overloading the motor. One nasty thing about the previous Ibiza etc was that the rainwater drained down the linkage onto one of the link arm pivot points and rusted it up - first you knew was the driver's side wiper arm stopped moving and probably got chewed up by the still working passenger's side wiper arm!

I have had this stiffening up spindle problem with a well used Ford Fiesta - but I got in there in time with regular applications of drops of 3-IN-ONE oil.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.