Woes of the 1896 software upgrade

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
OK, last Monday the car had its first service and the1896 software upgrade carried out at the main dealers. Got the car back and saw the fan symbol on the top of the infotainment screen had been replaced with "CLIMA", happy days. I then checked the software version and yes, it was showing 1896. Great.
I played around with the setting to how I had them before the update and noticed the boot up is much quicker and the response much less laggy. Even the sat nav remembers destinations and setting now. I'm starting to get excited so we went out for a half hour drive to test it out. The 1st thing we noticed was that the Mrs Spanish woman voice commands system has charged sex to male however he now continually activates during a conversation even if nothing remotely Spanish is said. Very annoying but at least he can be turned of in the settings. That's a new error that didn't exist before.
We have driven a few short journeys since with no issues until today. On a 65 mile journey, everything was fine until approaching junction 7 on the M25 where we got the dreaded double pop and the infamous SOS error. I can't believe it! I reset it by pushing the SOS button then cancelling the call but for the rest of the trip home, (about 10 miles), we got regular pops (but no more SOS errors) and the car refused to go into E mode. That maybe a coincidence, I'm not sure but for us, the 1896 software update, although curing some of the issues is not a final fix.
Come on Seat, you've had a year and a half to sort this out and we are still running around with defective cars.

Last edited:

Deleted member 133570

OK, last Monday the car had its first service and the1896 software upgrade carried out at the main dealers. Got the car back and saw the fan symbol on the top of the infotainment screen had been replaced with "CLIMA", happy days. I then checked the software version and yes, it was showing 1896. Great.
I played around with the setting to how I had them before the update and noticed the boot up is much quicker and the response much less laggy. Even the sat nav remembers destinations and setting now. I'm starting to get excited so we went out for a half hour drive to test it out. The 1st thing we noticed was that the Mrs Spanish woman voice commands system has charged sex to male however he now continually activates during a conversation even if nothing remotely Spanish is said. Very annoying but at least he can be turned of in the settings. That's a new error that didn't exist before.
We have driven a few short journeys since with no issues until today. On a 65 mile journey, everything was fine until approaching junction 7 on the M25 where we got the dreaded double pop and the infamous SOS error. I can't believe it! I reset it by pushing the SOS button then cancelling the call but for the rest of the trip home, (about 10 miles), we got regular pops (but no more SOS errors) and the car refused to go into E mode. That maybe a coincidence, I'm not sure but for us, the 1896 software update, although curing some of the issues is not a final fix.
Come on Seat, you've had a year and a half to sort this out and we are still running around with defective cars.
The voice can be changed back to female. Cant remember top of my head but its somewhere in the language settings.
Interesting about the popping and sos as mine has been resolved since the upgrade (touch wood). Probably travelled approx 300 miles since the upgrade and no issues at all using known routes where it’s almost guaranteed it would happen.
I also had the issue with the car not going into E mode. I took it back to Seat and it was found not to be a fault in my case. The 1896 code set my high voltage battery to be minimum of 60% to be maintained so therefore the combination engine kicks in. They set it to 10%, which i later set to the lowest (zero i presume) and problem solved. I can now drive 100% on E mode.

Reactions: DandyAndy

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
Interesting to know that the voice can be changed back to female. I doubt that will solve the problem of the voice command continuously activating during a conversation with passengers without anyone saying Hola, Hola but i will have a try. Thanks for the tip about the minimum battery level. Just checked the car as It was set to 0% before the upgrade and is now set to 10%. That explains why on the last part of the journey it wouldn't stay in E mode. However, no matter what I press, I cannot get it to go down to zero. I will have another fiddle with the settings tomorrow.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Gosh i can't imagine myself drove of the service centre and have a pop sound after year of suffering from it 😭

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
Drove to the local supermarket today and as we pulled out of our drive got the double pop and SOS error. Car still refused to run in E mode and despite making sure the battery manager was set to zero, got the "engine needs to run longer" message. The journey there and back was accompanied by frequent pops at various intervals.
After reading posts from East Yorkshire retrofits and others, it seems that the 1896 update only addresses the infotainment bugs, not the SOS error as this is controlled by a separate, telematics module. Evidently VW are just releasing an SOS update for the MK 8 Golf's so looks like we'll have to wait for god knows how long for a Seat update. On an up note, drove a friend home tonight and on the way back the car decided to go back into E mode. Happy days !

Deleted member 133570

Drove to the local supermarket today and as we pulled out of our drive got the double pop and SOS error. Car still refused to run in E mode and despite making sure the battery manager was set to zero, got the "engine needs to run longer" message. The journey there and back was accompanied by frequent pops at various intervals.
After reading posts from East Yorkshire retrofits and others, it seems that the 1896 update only addresses the infotainment bugs, not the SOS error as this is controlled by a separate, telematics module. Evidently VW are just releasing an SOS update for the MK 8 Golf's so looks like we'll have to wait for god knows how long for a Seat update. On an up note, drove a friend home tonight and on the way back the car decided to go back into E mode. Happy days !
How are you setting the battery manager? I ask as I was told by the Seat technician that there’s a specific step to do this and he said it’s not obvious. What he shown me was:
1. Turn ignition on
2. Go into battery manager
3. Click on the cog wheel on the hydrid icon
4. Set it to zero
5. Go back and select the e-mode
6. Then drive

whether or not the above steps is correct i dont know but in my case it worked and no longer seeing the issue with “engine needs to run for longer”

i guess I’m also lucky that for whatever reason I no longer having the popping and sos error.

if it helps, I went from 1780 to 1896

Last edited by a moderator:

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
That's how i set it too. About six months ago the car refused to go into E mode and I had to drive for about 40 minutes before it allowed me to go back into E mode. Don't know, but it's like the car for whatever reason has to run the engine at certain intervals or time periods. Do the DGEA engines have petrol particle filters that need to regen or maybe after a lot of battery only driving, does the engine need to run to burn of condensation etc?
From memory, I went from 1703 to 1896.

Deleted member 133570

I thought that too from reading forums and drove the car for a long period of time to get into e-mode. It turns out that by driving a long time it allowed for the battery to recharge enough to be above the minimum threshold so therefore allowed you to switch to e mode I believe.
Sorry not sure what else to suggest other than taking it back to Seat, who were able to fix mine quite promptly.

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
Thanks for your help. Just to add more info, after the car refused to go into E mode, I fully charged the battery when i got home so the battery was at 100%, well above the minimum threshold. On the next restart, the car still would not run in E mode so in my case it can't be the battery trying to recharge above the minimum (the battery manager was set to it's lowest setting). This is the 2nd time this has happened and after each episode, once the engine has run for approx 30 to 40 minutes, every thing goes back to normal. The car had it's first service last week and I did mention this issue to the main dealers but they said the car was fine.
Still not sure if this is behaviour is a fault or intended and as so far it only happens roughly once every six months, it's not a major problem for me unlike the SOS error !!!

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
Out of curiosity, I will start another thread to see if any fellow hybrid owners have a definite answer to this

Deleted member 133570

Thanks for your help. Just to add more info, after the car refused to go into E mode, I fully charged the battery when i got home so the battery was at 100%, well above the minimum threshold. On the next restart, the car still would not run in E mode so in my case it can't be the battery trying to recharge above the minimum (the battery manager was set to it's lowest setting). This is the 2nd time this has happened and after each episode, once the engine has run for approx 30 to 40 minutes, every thing goes back to normal. The car had it's first service last week and I did mention this issue to the main dealers but they said the car was fine.
Still not sure if this is behaviour is a fault or intended and as so far it only happens roughly once every six months, it's not a major problem for me unlike the SOS error !!!
Hmmm interesting. I would say it’s a fault as I’m led to believe the car should be capable of driving in e mode as per the manual. In my case, this problem only started when it got upgraded to latest software. Lets see if any others has suggestions here but if it’s me I would definitely escalate back to Seat.

DandyAndy

Oct 14, 2021
Yes, I think you're right. Just seems strange that it happened before and after the latest software update and six months apart.
Many thanks for trying to think of a solution, much appreciated. I will give the dealers a ring when I get a chance.

Awkward Turtle

Apr 22, 2022
Upgraded to 1896 today, no issues on SOS popping 🙏 But.. i can’t log into my driver profile, keep getting this message.. any one else? Is there a way to re- register the car bu doing the fun 2 key fob thing again?
C26456C8-3BB2-4567-9BCB-A120BDE9EB78.jpeg

Mar 2, 2022
How long did everyone’s update take? My car went in Thursday evening when they began it and it’s still not complete as of Friday 5pm!

Mar 2, 2022
From what version? Mines booked for the 6th,but I'm on 1890?

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
I think it was 1672? Mines a Sep 20 car so the update people have waited more than a year for. Was told just before the dealership closes the technician was going to go in tomorrow to try and sort it, if not, I’ll get my car back on Tuesday.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Be prepare they will be replacing airbag unit so i may take longer as this unit is on back order. In some cases 🆘 unit needs to be replaced too

DanMn

Nov 26, 2020
My car went in Tuesday, initially for the day until the air bag module required replacing. Got it back Friday, quicker than expected to be fair to my dealership.
My Leon was a fairly early build (first edition, doesn’t support remote lock/unlock etc… sorry no idea what week number) so wasn't sure it’d get the latest update after reading a few posts on here. Its now on 1896 and has the new ‘CLIMA‘ at the top of the infotainment instead of the fan icon, now supports auto air recirculation instead of just on/off and CarPlay is now Full screen too. Signing into my Seat ID failed on First attempt, I then set up my phone as a WiFi hotspot and connected the car to it which allowed me to sign back in to my user profile.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.