Guide To Fix a Broken Electric Window Switch!

Jan 8, 2008
Portsmouth
Ever had your electric window decide it doesnt want to play ball? Will go up no problem but wont go down, sometimes goes down sometimes wont budge? This is probably a cheap fix to the problem!

First of all remove the plastic trim from the doorcard so you can remove your switch..

PICT0587.jpg

Next thing to do is remove the top of the switch by inserting a small flat scewdriver where shown and lever the top off..

PICT0586.jpg

You will then see 2 metal / plastic switch pieces, take these out but dont forget which way round anything goes or reassembly will be difficult!

PICT0583.jpg

You will now be left with a hole full of cr@p! We will clean this out later!

PICT0576.jpg

Next we need to split the switch into 2 pieces, insert a small flat screwdriver where shown to release the small clips, the case should then come apart fairly easily...

PICT0578.jpg

And you will then have access to the circuit board...

PICT0573.jpg

When you take the case apart you will almost definitly have a couple of silver discs fly out! this isnt the end of the world but dont loose them!!! These discs need to be cleaned as this is what usualy causes the problem! The best way to do this is with a bit of fine sandpaper to take of any deposits and then a wipe off with some cloth with a bit of WD40 on. (Will help prevent build up again!) After cleaning all 4 discs clean the prongs underneath..

PICT0581.jpg

Then put the circuit board back in the base making sure all the discs sit like this..

PICT0573.jpg

Then put the case back together (clean the top part out first, i soacked mine in warm water!!) Then put the metal switch pieces back in (again give them a clean first) and then finaly push the top switch cover back on and its all fixed!

This saved me £15.00 and took about 10 minuites overall, hope its of some use to you!!

Thanks!!

AmC

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
nice one mate. this should be a sticky!

i guess that weekend you came over mine has helped out with your confidence to take those switches apart ;)

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
Is that am SMD i've spotted!!!

Think Ill be venturing to the window switch conversion soon... and the headlight switch... and any other switch I can convert lol

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Is that am SMD i've spotted!!!

Think Ill be venturing to the window switch conversion soon... and the headlight switch... and any other switch I can convert lol

yes that is a SMD you see... i presume a colour change will be comming then will it ??

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
ha ha! it fell apart so i thought id give it a bash!!

Works like a dream now!!

yea i remember! that was a manic day doing all that work!

you got your car tracked yet ? i got mine down and it was miles out so it may be worth getting yours done... and what camber are you running now ?

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i just read your guide and you make it look easy :lol:
i think i will have a go at a window switch first as ive got some spares! SMD's expensive???

if you buy SMD's from the right place they are as cheap as chips! literarrly a couple of pence per item!

soldering isnt an issue (for me anyway) as i wont in the aerospace industry.. and that size SMD,is well.... bloody huge!

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
i just read your guide and you make it look easy :lol:
i think i will have a go at a window switch first as ive got some spares! SMD's expensive???

They are cheap, i get mine from crazyleds as I always had good service from them. But can get them literally anywhere

if you buy SMD's from the right place they are as cheap as chips! literarrly a couple of pence per item!

soldering isnt an issue (for me anyway) as i wont in the aerospace industry.. and that size SMD,is well.... bloody huge!

It makes me sick seeing how small some of the resistors are on the dial pcb

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
They are cheap, i get mine from crazyleds as I always had good service from them. But can get them literally anywhere

It makes me sick seeing how small some of the resistors are on the dial pcb

some of the stuff we use for soldering here is a few thousandths thick.. the smallest 'wire' we stock is 0.001mm thick.

some of the SMD, SMT, SMC we use are so ruddy small that if you drop it, there is no point looking for it, and the fact that you need a magnifier to see the darn things anyway doesn't help.

we developed a chip back in 2001 which had massive processing power and it was smaller than an ants head. (a picture was taken with an electron microscope of the ant with the chip in its mouth)

now technology has moved on we are producing much smaller / more powerful stuff, but i cant talk about that ;)

kyle'87

Modding Disease
Sep 15, 2008
Ruislip
some of the stuff we use for soldering here is a few thousandths thick.. the smallest 'wire' we stock is 0.001mm thick.

some of the SMD, SMT, SMC we use are so ruddy small that if you drop it, there is no point looking for it, and the fact that you need a magnifier to see the darn things anyway doesn't help.

we developed a chip back in 2001 which had massive processing power and it was smaller than an ants head. (a picture was taken with an electron microscope of the ant with the chip in its mouth)

now technology has moved on we are producing much smaller / more powerful stuff, but i cant talk about that ;)

Thats what my mate in the MoD is always saying to me, I feel like im missing out on valuable gossip :cartman:

dave_6

Apr 26, 2005
Essex
I thought I needed a new drivers side switch for the drivers window, but spraying a little WD40 into the small gap where you press the switch down towards has sorted it out :)

It would go up fine everytime, just not always down. Water must have got in and caused it to have a bad contact

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.