Car been back to dealship 7 times and not fixed - what should i do next?

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
as per title really, i have a leon fr Mk2 TDI and it has a intermittent problem with the coil light flashing, vag com'd it and comes back with 05522 - Unknown - short to plus

Dealership cannot fix it, Had turbo changed, had charge preasure sensor changed, new ECU, new fusebox, new Temp sensor.

and still happening.

i want to get to the bottom of this so who should i call next or what should my next moves be?

please help :blink:

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
i believe you can go thru trading standards and eventually get your money back/get a new car. but i think thats worst case scenario... a friend of the family had this sort of thing with a bentley continental GT and eventually they gave him a new car as they couldnt fix it! Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, they might eventually get to the bottom of it but it depends how long its all been going on for and helpful the dealership have been etc?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Might be worth popping a support request in via the VAG-COM forum (ie the Yahoo one, not on here), you never know, they might know what the code means.....

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I think after the dealership you need to speak to your service manager (who you should be on first name terms with by now!) to go to SEAT UK and it should go back to them to decide what to do next. By this time the dealership should have contacted them anyway as they will be claiming from them for the time and money they spend. It will then be down to seat to decide whether to keep trying to fix this or whether to give up and give you a new one.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
problem is that it has just gone a year old.

I have had it since new and fault started occuring about 3 months after i received it

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
have done, been to 2 dealerships, only been once to the other one tho as its quite a treck

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
I'd speak to SEAT UK (assuming you haven't already) and see what they have to say. May be better to put everything into writing as letters are harder to ignore.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
This is the problem with stealers. if it's not a stock fault or a few filters/fluids and plugs, they struggle. Nobody gets paid enough to think on their feet and take ownership of a problem like yours at a Seat dealer.

IMO It sounds like a wiring fault (intermittent short circuit) so it will need someone who knows that there is more to a test meter than measuring 12vDC

I'm sorry but reading what they have replaced it just stinks of (fit a part and fingers crossed)

If it's any help, I have read about the glow plug light illuminating when there is a fault with the brake light circuit, taking into consideration that the switch in the pedal is actually 2 switches. One to illuminate the brake lights and one to tell the ECU that you have pressed the brake pedal. These days the ECU does all sorts of things when under braking and needs to know due to ABS/TCS and cutting fuel under braking to get better MPG to name but a few.

You don't have aftermarket LED bulbs in your brake lights do you?

Last edited:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
no aftermarket brake bulbs used. brake switch has been checked multiple times so not that,

It also comes up with Turbo Performance Super (or something of that context) so dont know if thats related.

absolute nightmare

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
no aftermarket brake bulbs used. brake switch has been checked multiple times so not that,

It also comes up with Turbo Performance Super (or something of that context) so dont know if thats related.

absolute nightmare

They have replaced Thousands of pounds worth of ECU but have only "checked" the £10 brake pedal switch? The mind boggles.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
been there know exactly how you feel , unfortunatly SEAT customer service is crap , they are uncaring , but as others have said you wont be able to reject your car.
i tried all that and it wont work.

if i were you i would phone SEAT customer care and ask them them to arrange for your car to be taken to milton keynes ( SEATS technical resource centre) , be prepared for a long pause and every excuse why it cant be taken there but be strong and be persistant , dont swear , just be polite and stick by your guns.

keep us informed.

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
I know your from my area - if helps SG Petch (Durham City) sorted mine, the service manager was really helpful - I didn't buy the car from them, the dealer who I bought it from said there was nowt the matter, stop wasting their time and not to go back.

From what you have said the fault is the same as mine, goes into limp mode etc. When it does next and goes to normal driving try setting the cruise control and I think you will find that the ecu disables that as well. It was definitely a dodgie sensor and loose wire connection - well that what I was told.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
I know your from my area - if helps SG Petch (Durham City) sorted mine, the service manager was really helpful - I didn't buy the car from them, the dealer who I bought it from said there was nowt the matter, stop wasting their time and not to go back.

From what you have said the fault is the same as mine, goes into limp mode etc. When it does next and goes to normal driving try setting the cruise control and I think you will find that the ecu disables that as well. It was definitely a dodgie sensor and loose wire connection - well that what I was told.

yeah i will try them, i did try sunderlands seat garage but still didnt fix it

mutley170fr

hi robdf2,i was just wondering if you could fill me in on your problems and experiences with seat uk and outcome if any? only asking as i've tried rejecting my car as well due to unfixable problem and as we speak it is at milton keynes being 'repaired'(drilling sub frame,welding eeek!!!) and this is after its already had spot welds 're-done'.any info would be much appreciated.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
hi robdf2,i was just wondering if you could fill me in on your problems and experiences with seat uk and outcome if any? only asking as i've tried rejecting my car as well due to unfixable problem and as we speak it is at milton keynes being 'repaired'(drilling sub frame,welding eeek!!!) and this is after its already had spot welds 're-done'.any info would be much appreciated.

i will send you a pm with links to my posts mate.
but you have put the curse on my car mentioning the seat word , my car is in limp mode [:@]

cant send you pm so have a read here
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201332

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members