DPJ's Silver Leon Cupra GT - no more.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Your index Dave has enchaned my favorite SCN thread. Very helpful.
Can you give us a flavour of what we can expect for 2009. :)

Carl, thanks for the kind comment. When I did the index, I thought the thread lacked some substance......

To continue from what I said above, I'm actually a bit peed off. Having decided what to do power-wise with the car in August last year (something special) and putting wheels in motion to get the components to make it happen, the car is no further forward six months later. I feel it's unfinished and with a bitter taste in my mouth from the aborted project, I lack a bit of enthusiasm to come up with plan B. :shrug:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I lack a bit of enthusiasm to come up with plan B. :shrug:

All that could change after the RR day, Dave. You know what its like once you are surrounded by nice cars and like minded people talking cars, it gets under your skin and you can get your enthusiasm back :D

Well I for one hope you do mate ;)

Wilko

Badge snob
Dave
We all go through it mate. When I ordered rods for mine, they were delayed, and after a couple of years of IHI threw a rod, 3 days before the pauters arrived. The car ran badly for a year and a bit after that, but since then (touching loads of wood) it's been great. I get weeks when I don't have the need to drive it, and go for the comfort of the daily driver instead. Then I go out for an hour in it and grin for a week.
If you're saving money put the rods in (you can do it, you have the skills), and then sort out the handling. Handling is way cheaper and way more fun than power.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Dave
We all go through it mate. When I ordered rods for mine, they were delayed, and after a couple of years of IHI threw a rod, 3 days before the pauters arrived. The car ran badly for a year and a bit after that, but since then (touching loads of wood) it's been great. I get weeks when I don't have the need to drive it, and go for the comfort of the daily driver instead. Then I go out for an hour in it and grin for a week.
If you're saving money put the rods in (you can do it, you have the skills), and then sort out the handling. Handling is way cheaper and way more fun than power.

Cheers John. Reliable suppliers are in shorter and shorter supply ;)

I'm happy to do the rods, it just seems a shame to stick the atp manifold and the eliminator back on when replacing the head.........

(It's not so much the saving money, more being cautious..... I lost a big enterprise in the last recession and It probably took me 12 years to recover! )

I think I've located hub carriers and wishbones............

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I'll look forward to your Rod replacement guide and as stated well within your capabilities. Don't feel like your car is half finished though as the last RR plot i saw of yours looked Awesome. Its some car you've got there but i know what your saying. The biggest pita in this hobby is half arsed suppliers and inadequate aftermarket parts etc, its a shame its accepted as standard in this industry. Keep the faith Dave you are the SCN talisman ;).

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Took it out for a shakedown this evening - sticking dv (Forge 007). I always run it reversed and it was whistling because it was sticking partly open.

I took it to bits and gave it a good clean out and grease. I've been running the yellow spring, but I decided to try the blue spring with a shim. Works well. :cartman:

Logging and timing tweaking commences tomorrow night.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Motoscope, Northallerton rolling Road day today.

I did some logging over the last couple of days and the results convinced me that I could increase the methanol mix. I didn't want to try 50% in case it was too much, so I ran it at 40%.

Dastek rollers at Motoscope. All the cars that ran before mine had results exactly in line with expectations.

Here's my graph.....

MotoscopeRR220309-1.jpg

The difference between this and the previous 325bhp run at Awesome GTI - the car is holding torque to the red line much better. :D

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.