2.0 i GTI using lots of fuel and loss of power ?? help!

Tamthebam

got my car about 2 months ago now and was nippy for 2.0 8v but after 2 weeks it started playing up if i floored it it would hesitate then go so i changed the spark plugs + fuel filter + sprayed injector cleaner into the air flow meter and it made the hesitation go away but i lossed alot of power to before i could drive about in 5 gear no problem up hills and that now i have to drop down gears to go up the same hill ?? and the smell out the exhaust is bad and stings my eyes :wtf:?? but starts fine every time first turn of the key so am lost to how to fix her:help: , any ideas welcome cheers TAM . P.S the car is 1995 on a N reg 2E engine ,

JacketJ

Jul 13, 2008
Hampshire
Blocked cat? Have someone rev the engine and keep your hand close to the exhaust tip. You should be able to tell pretty quickly if it is blocked at all.

Tamthebam

what colour smoke is coming out the exhaust. Maybe try unlplugging the airflow sensor and see if it makes it any better.

not smokey at all m8 tryed unpluging airflow and it cut out :help:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
timing isn't always about turning over, it could be out by like a couple of degree's that can affect power

i would check i tbh!

Tamthebam

timing isn't always about turning over, it could be out by like a couple of degree's that can affect power

i would check i tbh!

what the timming belt jump a couple of teeth m8

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
that's odd them
sorry not much help
have you checked your "earth" wire off the battery terminal? as mine was slowly corroding until it went, and i lost my immob, was a pain in the ass to get fixed (recoding etc) and i had a lack of power then too!

Tamthebam

that's odd them
sorry not much help
have you checked your "earth" wire off the battery terminal? as mine was slowly corroding until it went, and i lost my immob, was a pain in the ass to get fixed (recoding etc) and i had a lack of power then too!

battery wires seem to be fine to m8, but cheers for the replys guys

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.