5 Laps with Huffy in a SEAT Leon Cupra Race car

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
main.php

When Stu called me on Saturday morning to say there was a Leon Cupra Race car at Brands Hatch, my mind was made up that I was going, when he sms'd me later to say it was Liam McMillan's and that Rob Huff was there (he's his tutor) I was well on my way.

I spent the morning taking some pictures round & about the circuit, but mid afternoon I was meandering around the pits, and see Rob sat in the Leon - he called me over & told me to get a wrist strap & my lid so he can take me out.....

I was buzzed. Liam walked me over to the signing on sheet & that was that. after clambering into the car (not easy in a pair of jeans, trainers & being 6 foot tall) I then wedged myself into the not generously sized race seat.

I've been in & driven some pretty fast cars before, but never having been in a Touring Car before I was pretty excited about what was about to happen.

first impressions were 1) I have loads of legroom 2) it's bloody noisey in here. After a bit of nattering with Rob and we're waiting in the traffic jam to get out on the open pit lane track day I decide to pipe up "I don't scare easily" - Rob replies "I don't expect you too"....

Now as I stated above, I've never been in a touring car, and only been driven by a Touring Car driver once (in a road car at Brands)... to say I was excited about being driven by a World Touring Car race winner in a Brand new SEAT Leon tin top would be an understatement.

How was it? after we exit the pit the throttle is planted with an immense exhaust note / rattling and we quickly catch whatever car was infront at the time. Round Paddock hill & down towards the bottom of Druids we're gathering pace quickly. Right past the BRAKE! sign, and Rob's still hard on the gas, waits until we're well past all the road cars braking points (almost until level with the clipping point on the apex it felt like) and he stands on the brakes, shifts down a couple of gears on the DSG 'box and he's back on the gas - the mechanical grip was huge on this car... I guess 8" wide slicks & a full aero package, including a flat floor helps!

Traffic was quite busy out on the track, but whenever there was a chance to get past & make some progress Rob put his toe down & the Leon just went. LCR's TVR's 911's Evo's all got schooled on outright acceleration (no suprise really)

All too soon we're in the pits... I can't say I was unhappy - I was already dripping with sweat and found it really tiring! and I was only sat in the car, no driving involved.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Just how cool is that. Nice one matey, the write up says it all really - I bet you were "stoked"

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I know when m0rk is excited, as i get a text message and then a follow up phone call. :)

I'd need a butt reduction for a passenger ride in one of those :D

However we both get to have fun on Wednesday. ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yeah, the cornering G forces were a real eye opener....

Supposedly 'quick'road cars just had nothing on it

I wasn't scared though... which is odd, as I'm not normally an easy passenger on Track. I'll admit I did hold onto the Roll cage, but I'll claim that's to hold me up rather than for fear!!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
None of the corners are 'that' fast really - paddock hill in a race car is a suprise though, and probably the quickest

I was really in awe of Rob's trust in it though...

I think2007 will be a great Cupra Championship with these cars & the mobile chicanes that are the old cars

Laptimes in the new car were within 0.5s of a BTCC spec car in 2006, which is amazing

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
None of the corners are 'that' fast really - paddock hill in a race car is a suprise though, and probably the quickest

I was really in awe of Rob's trust in it though...

I think2007 will be a great Cupra Championship with these cars & the mobile chicanes that are the old cars

Laptimes in the new car were within 0.5s of a BTCC spec car in 2006, which is amazing

Its shoking when in a race spec car with a pro, you come out thinking.......how :blink:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Lucky lucky man m0rk. :) Having heard what it sounds like from the outside (when it did some demo runs at the BTCC last year), I can only imagine it's even better inside.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.