Advice needed on knocking from front suspension (mk4 fr tdi)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Not a sausage, I'm going to get in touch with them on monday, as I now have another reason to chase them up, my boot won't open :D

FR3000

Feb 14, 2008
North East
Ah the boot catch trick.....!

Not a sausage, I'm going to get in touch with them on monday, as I now have another reason to chase them up, my boot won't open :D

Ah the infamous boot catch!! Had my FR from new, got it 2005, and after 3 months I went to open the boot and it wouldn't open. Turned out to be a one off so ignored it. Then a few months later (had the car about 8 months by this point) it did it again....while I had a trolley full of shopping. :doh:

Anyhow it didn't right itself this time and after a trip to the dealer it went in for a replacement; problem is the part tooks nearly 2 months to turn up due to needing to get one that matched the key (god knows why cos I've never used a key in the locks in three years).

It was something to do with the central locking system not engaging the catch mechanism with the badge handle, think it was a faulty actuator. In the meantime I took the interior panel off so if I really need to be in the boot I could drop the seat and pull the linkage by hand.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I really hope it's going to take 2 months, that would be just great added to the rest of the crap I have had to put up with for the last 14 months or so. Getting really tempted to just dump the car and get something else.

I've got a day off Tuesday so I'm going to get in touch with them and bitch about a few things, then I will update you guys to let you know of any progress regarding the knocking, should be a laugh :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Well I decided to ditch the phone call and actually go in and speak to someone today, apparently they had another car in with the same issue and they have told me that Seat have looked into it and they are saying that the steering rack is at fault (already been replaced once on mine), so the guy said that they will be modifying the steering rack and when they have done this it will be fitted (obviously to anyone who has the problem and complains) and hopefully stop the knocking. He couldn't give me a date as to when this would take place as he didn't know, but I have asked him to phone me when he knows, so as soon as I know I will post here.

Oh and for anyone who's interested, I bitched about the boot not opening, one of the guys tried it and it worked first time :redface: but they checked anyway and have decided to order something for it. I swear it wasn't all in my head!

heardyboy

i have the same problem with my 1.4 se. when i go over bumps,broken tar mack etc i get a rattle in passenger side, just had the drivers bush replaced, could it possiblythe other one is going as well :-(

Seat Ibiza SX

I don't belive it.

I have also had this knocking.

The car is an 04 1.2 Ibiza SX, had it since last may, and only heard the knocking 2 or 3 times, this is whilst turning sharp left and going over rough ground quite quickly.

so i guess it means to get it fixed i would have to pay?

or

do you think they would do a recall on certain cars?

and to the honest i don't think i would buy a seat again, new or second hand, after reading all the problems you have had crafoo, you had any luck yet?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Quite a few people now seem to be coming out of the woodwork claiming they are having the same problem with this knocking, so come on guys get to your dealers and kick up a fuss, if enough of us make a big deal out of it, we have a good chance of getting something done, a recall would certainly be a possibility if enough people highlight it as a problem.

and to the honest i don't think i would buy a seat again, new or second hand, after reading all the problems you have had crafoo, you had any luck yet?

Yeah it's been great fun so far :whistle:, the first month or so was great then it all started going a bit wrong lol, not had any luck yet tbh mate, the closest I have gotten is awaiting for this "modified steering rack" to become available to fit to my car. I'm not convinced it will solve the problem but anything has to be worth trying. When it gets fitted I will let you guys know if it's done the trick or not.

Watch this space for more angry smilies lol

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
My "Isqueaka" (56 Reference 1.2, 8000 miles old) makes all sorts of sounds going over uneven road surfaces at 20-30 mph. It might be the suspension; I do have "things" in my boot, but I don't think they make the noises I'm hearing: mostly soft rattling, the odd muffled knock and some dull "clopping". It seems to come from both ends of the car, but mostly from the front. Oddly, it seems to be quieter with a passenger. If I push down on the front driver's side wing, I can hear the mechanism give a soft, squelchy creak. I hear something similar (but softer) on the passenger's side.

I can't really say that anything seems "wrong", though. It steers and corners fine, no excessive body roll or tire wear, and it holds a straight line when I let go of the wheel.

Showed it to a tech at the dealers' and he decided to take it up on a ramp and check all the suspension gear but couldn't see anything broken or out of place. The bushes are intact, but one of them might be a bit "noisy". I'll see what happens over the next few months.

Last edited:

Andydurbs

Feb 11, 2007
I gave up on my Seat Ibiza MK4 FR and its faults including s*** knocking suspension, there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the front suspension and the dealerships wont accept it or they are just built poorly?? Not to mention the annoying engine stutter? Which is apparently not a fault??? I have been in twice and the only thing that came out of it was a fixed seat belt mechanism (which was just wd40’d to death inc half my cars interior)

Not going to buy from seat again. Good luck trying to fight a losing battle.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I gave up on my Seat Ibiza MK4 FR and its faults including s*** knocking suspension, there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the front suspension and the dealerships wont accept it or they are just built poorly?? Not to mention the annoying engine stutter? Which is apparently not a fault??? I have been in twice and the only thing that came out of it was a fixed seat belt mechanism (which was just wd40’d to death inc half my cars interior)

Not going to buy from seat again. Good luck trying to fight a losing battle.

Does this mean you gave up trying to get it sorted then?

Andydurbs

Feb 11, 2007
Yeah officially given up. Lost out with part ex'ing my yellow fr mk4.5 but i just got to annoyed at its issues like windscreen washer stopped working, passenger door speaker kept cutting out, turbo blowing @ 12,000 miles, seat belt issues, boot issues, knocking suspension, engine stutter, dashboard and door card noises - wow very annoying, wind noises (wing mirrors – motorway), excessive tyre wear on the inside of the front wheels etc........the list goes on.

Good luck with getting your issue's resolved or you could do what i did and just get rid.

I really like the look of the cars (FR & Cupra) but thing they are poorly built.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I know what you mean mate, I've had more than enough trying to battle to get my car to what I consider an acceptable standard and like you say I believe that the cars in general are just nailed together, and i have on many occasions toyed with the idea of getting rid and buying something else, but then there's the point of who would want to buy a car that has so many glaring faults lol. I think I will stick with it at least till i've done paying for it, then look at getting something else non Seat, shame really because I really like the look of my car, and the new possible mk5 (bocanegra) looks pretty hot too.

Andydurbs

Feb 11, 2007
Thats why i part ex'd it, did not have the shame to go on a test drive with potential buyers. lol.

I really liked the fact that remapped it was roughly 170bhp and was so good on fuel but i feel better getting shut of it now, goes tomorrow night :).

Like i said GOOD LUCK!

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Cheers mate, I will need it, might have to look at claiming some money back for all the times I've had to go out of my way to take my car in and it's come back without being fixed.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Got my boot catch fixed today and got a small update on the possible fix for the knocking issue. A couple of weeks back I was told there was a modified steering rack which was being made to hopefully sort this problem out, this morning I was told that the modified steering rack has itself been modified (not sure how many times you can modify something lol) and apparently they are confident that it will fix the problem. There are currently none of these in the UK yet but mine has been ordered and should be one of the first to get done, so when it gets fitted I will let you guys know if it has finally fixed the problem.

Corkheader

Knocking

Hi all -

I have an FR130 with just 1000 miles on the clock (moved up from a Toledo TDI SE)
My car has been in twice for the knocking and misfire.

Firstly on the misfire / lumpy running. SEAT (with the help of info from here) are modding the EGR gasket. Will update on that when its done.

As for the knocking, its as described here, a loud crack turning right at low speeds. I havent been able to replicate the problem with the mechanic from the garage on board.

The Garage are suggesting its similar to a problem on the Altea, which led to a recall on the steering racks. The problem was jumping teeth, apparently worse when cold and due to a poor batch.

The garage (Wiltshires in Farnham) are doing a DISS report (?) to SEAT. This apparently escalates the problem and might be worth asking for when trying to get the fault rectified. They apparently log these to monitor particular faults.

Will post again on the 1st April (good date!) when it goes back in.

John

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Just heard back from the dealers and the steering rack that was ordered has now arrived, so my car is booked in for Wednesday 2nd April, I will post back here when I get my car back and test out the new steering rack to let you guys know if it makes any difference.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Got up a little earlier today to take my car in ready for the fitment of my new modified steering rack, and two minutes down the road i got a phone call saying the steering rack that had been delivered was the wrong one :clap: So I have to wait again for another to be ordered and get booked in to get it fitted.

Oh the fun!

Lawrie

I have this problem (knocking when turning left, uphill and over rough ground), and they charged me for looking for a fault when they say there isnt one! I'm not too bothered because it's a company car :p

Would be good to go to the stealers with some extra ammo and maybe get it sorted!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members