Arosa Repair Thread

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Thought I would pop a quick thread up to keep everyone updated with the progress on repairing my Arosa :)

He is currently in a bodyshop, having the front end stripped down ready to start putting bits back on, straightening him up and generally getting on with everything.

The donor car will be brought up this week, and left at the bodyshop so all the parts are available nice and quick for the guys to use.

The bonnet was opened today, so here are the pics (very bad ones, it was cold and i only had my camera phone! :redface: ):

Picture2-1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

Picture4-1.jpg

Picture1-1.jpg

It seems having a little engine may have saved him - there used to be about a foot of space between the important bits and the front of the car, and the crash bar and slam panel have soaked up alot of the impact. :)

I think he's worth repairing. He doesn't deserve the scrapyard :love:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
F**k a dog loops your were lucky there. Its doesnt look too bad - although thats coming from someone who knows bugger all about cars !!! :D

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I'm getting it brought up on a lowloader. Even calculating in the cost of that, the whole car is costing under £500 which is gonna help keep costs down :) Plus selling the spares to raise money to pay the bodyshop!

Theres a little more room in reality that there looks in that pic - but the chassis leg is/was about 3mm away from hitting my alternator! eek! Luckily alot of that plastic that looks quite close to the engine is actually an overhang - Arosa owners will know what I mean if you go look under your bonnets

Triple D

Hope it all gets sorted ASAP and you get you lickle car back soon :D

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a plan for the future ;) Something that includes a new engine, throttle bodies or a supercharger.....

.......and me being 25 so my insurance is cheaper :redface:

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
Thats a plan for the future ;) Something that includes a new engine, throttle bodies or a supercharger.....

.......and me being 25 so my insurance is cheaper :redface:

won the student lottery
nobody told me about that until id already graduated

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
You DO realise your now becoming a member of a privelidged group, dontcha... those of us that have/are bringing back seats from the brink of ..well lets not talk about that... but , good on yer for getting this sorted. :)

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Damn girl... you really took it out on that post didn't ya..

Glad you're getting it fixed up, hope the donor car does you good hun :D

PS... be careful on your bike won't you...

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Got my quote for the repairs now.

Including the cost of:
  • Towing my car to the bodyshop
  • Buying the donor car
  • Towing the donor car from Swindon to Leicester
  • Labour
  • Materials

it comes to *cough*£1500*cough*

I don't think thats too bad really, and I doubt I'd be able to buy a replacement thats in as good condition as mine for that much. Plus it wouldn't be my baby. This one is special, he has muchos sentimental value to me :love:

p.s. I think I can now join the slightly obsessed group who repair cars when everyone else looks at them funny and says 'why not just get a new one', then starts edging away when you reply 'but its my baby! He can't go to the scrapyard yet'. Hehe

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Wait until the summer holidays and I might find you pootling down to Eastbourne to perch upon a fine deckchair and adhorn your head with a fetching knotted hanky !! Other possibles include discussing the war and the sixties. :p

gazjones

glad everything is getting sorted nic would be a shame to let the car go! good luck with everything and hope its sorted sooner rather than later for you

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I've had so many people ask me why I'm bothering to repair him! They just go 'its only metal and plastic, and you're paying that much to fix it up? Just buy a new one!'

Am I really mad to be fixing up this car? :( Only I'd much rather have this one that I know all his problems, and trust to start everyday and get me around, pretty much perfect bodywork - than start over with a new car that I know none of the history, could have any number of problems with.....

On a side note - anyone want any Arosa parts?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I dont think your mad Loops (well not in this sense he he he :redface: the rest is debatable). You wouldnt put a healthy dog with a broken leg to sleep if all it needed was plaster ? Dont justify it just get on with the job in hand ! You will have the peace of mind to know you have brought your wee Awsie back to life :D Even if you are destroying My Viv's twin (Butcher !!) How much are you asking for the parts I emailed you about ??

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
awful lot to be said for sentimental value
chuffed for you that your getting him back-with hairs on his chest and everything

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh good, I did start to worry :redface:

Well, we went to see the two Arosas this morning! Drove the donor around, and boy am I glad I have mine - its in a terrible state: engine whine, incredibly high cluch, handbrake travels about 3 miles before stopping, and it might have an oil leak around the top of the engine.
Its the perfect example of why I am repairing mine :D

I did find out a bit of a coincidence - it was first registered 1 day before mine, on the 27th of Feb 1998. Mine was registered on the 28th - they're almost exactly the same age....... :-o

Tailgate and bumper are good if you still want them GG :)

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
The bodyshop just sent me this picture:

22022007.jpg

:D

Got him straightened up now, and he was test fitting the panels to make sure it all lined up. Yay!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise