D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Got up early this morning and decided to give the car a quick wash, well that was the idea but I ended up spending 7 hours on it :rolleyes:
I started off by washing it with Autobrite direct Banana gloss shampoo then striped all the old wax and sealant with APC before spraying on some Autobrite direct Purple rain de-ironiser.

After about 10 minutes and a bit of agitation

I also decided to loose the "R" badges

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Next it was jet washed off and washed again with Autobrite direct Banana gloss shampoo and dried and then polished by hand using Poor boys black hole, It works on silver paint too ;) before being waxed with my new Kleenfreaks wax.

End results

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
The Kleenfreaks wax is not the easiest wax I've and DO NOT use it if you are in a rush, the cure time is a minimum of 30 minutes, you only need a very small amount and on silver is very difficult to see where you have been but the results are excellent and well worth the effort

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Quick test fit of the headlight cover or whatever it is :) before finishing it off

I have filled and smoothed over all the bolt holes and there was a big hole in the center of the lead edge too which has gone, it will be held it place with just 2 bolts when it's finished.

And the brackets have come out pretty well too :D

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
You sure have got into the swing of things with all the carbon wrapping you are doing lately. If I can ever be bothered to do more to my car I think a few tasty carbon bits are in order ;)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I had a chat with a pro detailer friend (Rob@Supercar detailing) whilst at Prept on Wednesday night about some concerns I've got about my paint work, the paint on the bonnet has gone a bit foggy and it has shinny spots all over it the size of 10p coins, there are also a lot of very small scratches on it which look like sandpaper marks, he thinks this could be due to some repair work that was done a few years ago when it got hit whilst parked, when the car was being repair I asked the body shop to go over the bonnet and wings, well it looks like they might not of done such a good job, we think the only way to full fix the problem will be to strip the whole lot off and spray the front end, the front bumper could do with it due to a few stone chips and a tiny bit of lacquer peel and I've picked up a massive stone chip right in the middle of the bonnet so this will all be taken care of, plus I want the rear bumper repainted.
As a temp measure I'm off to see JonJay to see if we can make the bonnet look a bit better until I can afford the respray, we're possible looking at wet sanding and then machine polishing the bonnet back up to get rid of the scratches, this will depend on what we see under some proper lighting and how thick the paint is.

Unfortunately I forgot to charge my camera batteries before going to Prept so only managed to get a few photos but even worse my 2 month old laptop decided it didn't want to work anymore last night so I cant do anything with the photos that I did take :(

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
First of all massive thanks to Maz for his help today :)
With Maz's help we've manage to get ride of the paint fogging and softern some of the scratches :) God knows where these scratches came from :think:

These pictures have not been edited in any way, they were taken with my Canon Eos D400 SLR
Before any work
You can see the scratches along the ridge on the bonnet.

Here you can see the fogging

This is what I achieved after Maz showed me how to use my DA properly
The bonnet is in 3 sections, below the tape has not been touched, the middle half above the tape has been DA'd, you can just about see the line where I've removed the tape to show a 50/50 comparison

Left side has not been polished, the right hand side has been polished

We couldn't get the car is Maz's workshop so we had to improvise using the sun to high light the swirl marks
Before polishing

After polishing

Maz at work with the rotary

That looks better :D

We only worked on the bonnet today and the main aim of today was for Maz to see how bad it was and to asses how much work was needed, it turned out the fogging wasn't too much of an issue but the scratches proved more difficult, one thing that didn't help was the fact that my car is too low to get into the workshop so we couldn't use Maz's light's and as we were working outside there was also a high risk of dust, grit and dirt being blown onto the surface that was being worked on so we've now decided to do the next stage at my house using my big gazebo the car is covered, We plan to use a slightly more aggressive polish and pad if this fails then we can wet sand the bonnet but this will be a last resort.
In the mean time now Maz has shown me how to use the DA properly I'm going to work on the rest of the car getting the paint clarity back.
I've learnt a lot today, I think where I've failed in the past is;
1) I've used too much product on the pad, and caused the pad to clog.
2) I've not worked the product into the surface properly, i.e spreading the polish, then breaking it down and finally burnishing the polish.
3) I was also probably working on too big an area at a time, next time I will divide the bonnet into small 1' Sq sections.
4) I need to take a lot more time and not to rush.

The car will still probably need some paint work soon as it's getting on for 9 years old but hopefully if I can put what I've learnt to use I can prolong it for a bit longer :)

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
It was a pleasure mate. Look forward to revisiting those scratches again. I will have some special pads for them ready :)

Your car looked great btw!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
It was a pleasure mate. Look forward to revisiting those scratches again. I will have some special pads for them ready :)

Your car looked great btw!

Cheers mate, yours wasnt too shabby either [B)] once my laptops up and running I'll have a play with the pictures I took, they look good but they will look better when I've tweaked them ;)

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
Brilliant results!! I love learning about Paint correction, weird I know!.

Does this mean you will need to revisit the car with your new process :) more pics are never a bad thing

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Yep, the whole car will be re polished one panel at a time, I should of made a start today but took it for a spin instead :)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I did a very bad thing today and brought James.L's Liquid Gauge, thanks mate ;)

Power !!! :D

I've not had a chance to play with it properly yet but I have been very impressed with what I've seen it do so far.

I was planing on getting the car ready for players next weekend but I'm not sure if I'm going to make it now due to lack of money :(
Hopefully if the weather stays dry tomorrow I'll DA most of the car before the F1 starts then if I do go I'll only have a little bit to do next Saturday.

Last edited:

tyrer

OEM
Jun 6, 2010
I'm sure you could create something custom and carbon living in the right nook (under light switches) or below the aircon unit possibly??

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.