joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
The quality of the charge pipes under the paint is very poor, You will struggle to get all the scratches out.
I've found wire wool and autosol works really well on the charge pipes but don't use it on the manifold ;)

You do need a pressure washer to use a snow foam lance, most pressure washer have different lance fitting too so buy your pressure washer before buying the foam lance.
During the winter if the cars really dirty I use it for every wash, in the summer I only use it if it's got really dirty.

I'm quite pleased with my effort to be honest, can't help some scratches in it, and from a distance it looks really good! Took bloody ages though! I skipped 2k aswell as I only had 1500 and 2500.

Sent from my iPhone

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
You can get foam guns to use without a pressure washer. I got the Gilmour Foamaster II recently, it has Hozelock attachments so will attach to a regular hose. I've been using it with Auto Finesse Avalanche, you don't get as much foam as with a proper lance and pressure washer but it still works well as a pre-wash.

For a very quick wash if the car isn't terribly dirty I sometimes cover the car with the foam, fill a single bucket with hot water, use a lambswool mitt with the water to agitate the foam then rinse it with filtered water. Good result in very little time and no need to towel dry.

Oct 21, 2006
Norfolk
I'm quite pleased with my effort to be honest, can't help some scratches in it, and from a distance it looks really good! Took bloody ages though! I skipped 2k aswell as I only had 1500 and 2500.

Sent from my iPhone

A three step polishing wheel set gave me a mirror finish on the charge with absolutely no scratches. I struggled to get the same results with mani.

Last edited:

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I'll let you into a little secret for the manifold :whistle:
I recently did one for FroggyLCR, these were the end results, they were taken with my iPhone so they are not the best quality

I didnt use the polishing wheels at all on this one, It was de seamed with a file and sanded with a random orbital sander with grades 60 to 240 and then wet sanded with 240 to 1200 wet & dry, at this stage the surface was still dull and none reflective.
The random orbital sander I use is the Draper version of the Black & Decker mouse, with it came a wire wool pad, I applied a bit of Autosol onto the pad and worked it into the surface, surprisingly the wire wool didn't mark or damage the surface and after a few passes it started to shine :D it was then finished off with Relentless metal polish, I didn't get any pictures after this stage.

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
That's a lovely job mate! I like the two tone idea so much I'm going to nick it. Regarding removing and refitting the inlet, what's the process? I removed the inlet on my mani but that was simple, just 8 Allen bolts and a jubilee clip after the egr. As you may know, I've bought that heap that needs a little work, so the plan is to take it to work to change bushes and lock mechanisms etc. would I be able to remove the inlet of my LCR and leave it, spray and polish the tb and inlet then simply refit and re align the tb with my liquid gauge? Cheers for the help by the way. Josh.

Sent from my iPhone

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
Also, one more thing regarding polishing. You say you used an orbital sander, I take it this means you don't have to try and keep the strokes all one direction during the sanding process? I just assumes you did, so did this in my charge pipe....

Sent from my iPhone

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I've never removed a manifold but your description sounds about right, don't forget you will need new gaskets when you refit it, I'd also replace the injector seal's while its all off and maybe replace the hoses under the manifold and the brake vacuum hose on the right hand side with the Forge kit.

With regard to the sander mine is a random orbital, if you use a grade too high you will see what looks like loops in the surface, I only went to 240 with the sander then did the rest by hand to get all the marks out, ideally you do want to finish by sanding in the same direction, I tend to change the direction with each grade of paper just so I can see if I've missed anything.

joshy514

Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I've never removed a manifold but your description sounds about right, don't forget you will need new gaskets when you refit it, I'd also replace the injector seal's while its all off and maybe replace the hoses under the manifold and the brake vacuum hose on the right hand side with the Forge kit.

With regard to the sander mine is a random orbital, if you use a grade too high you will see what looks like loops in the surface, I only went to 240 with the sander then did the rest by hand to get all the marks out, ideally you do want to finish by sanding in the same direction, I tend to change the direction with each grade of paper just so I can see if I've missed anything.

That's a good call as I have 1x leaky injector seal. I've got one pipe replaced as I've done the. N429 delete, but I think there's another. Cheers, Josh

Sent from my iPhone

L14M H

Dec 7, 2013
I've finally read this from start to finish and I'm stunned. I whole heartedly have no words for this car other than... EPIC.
A real credit to yourself for all your hard work DK. Simply brilliant.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
I've finally read this from start to finish and I'm stunned. I whole heartedly have no words for this car other than... EPIC.
A real credit to yourself for all your hard work DK. Simply brilliant.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate :) I'm glad you like it :)

Little update we've got a new addition joining the family soon, it's black and has 4 wheels :D

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Car looks absolutely spot on

Always had a soft spot for the MK1 Leon cupra.

Hate all the horrible chavvy ones, yours is just in a different league

Have you drove a MK2 cupra?

Thanks mate :)
I'f I can get the money together over the summer I'm hoping to get some pint work done on it so it will look even better.

I've not driven a mk2, we did look at one when I bought this one but I didn't really like the dash or the shape when they first came out,

betty_swollox

Richie
Feb 15, 2011
Washington
Thanks mate :)
I'f I can get the money together over the summer I'm hoping to get some pint work done on it so it will look even better.

I've not driven a mk2, we did look at one when I bought this one but I didn't really like the dash or the shape when they first came out,

Aaah right, was wanting to know how they compared

Dash in the mk2 is vulgar lol. Even the face lift is crap inside!!!

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Don't class that F*cktard in the northern bracket, he's the muppet down South ;)
Daz are we meeting up in Leeds at some point ;)

I really cant be bothered with him anymore, I've wasted enough time and money on him.
I'm not expecting to see my manifold again, if I do then happy days, if not then I'll just put this one down to experience and I will think twice before I trust someone who I don't know.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise