DC's 8v mk2 Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport *Back on the road!*

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Splash guards! - I purchased 4 new ones from my SEAT dealer.

IIRC they were under a tenner each.

If you buy new ones my recommendation would be to either get them blasted/powder coated or paint them with a suitable hi temp chasis paint. I've been using Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black - Satin available from Frosts.

The factory finish is very thin and little more than a primer.

I left mine as they came and 5 years on they are starting to rust so I will be removing them to be powder coated soon.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Its been a while so here's an update!

I've never been happy with the ride height of the standard suspension and I've been meaning to get it sorted for since when I bought the car!. I decided that in keeping with the OEM+ theme I would avoid going to extreme in preference of a subtle improvement in both height and handling. After reading the review of Syphon on here along with a few others I decided to go for the FK High-Tec Suspension Kit with matched springs and shocks and a claimed drop of between 35-40mm.

Over 2 Years ago I picked up a new kit on ebay for a bargain £100 but its sat in my garage up until a month ago!

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

I found the paint finish to be little more than primer and also my kit had taken a few knocks/scratches from transit/storage so it was clear that that would need improving to survive daily use plus the Yellow just wasn't OEM enough and I prefer the contrast of black on yellow.

IMG_0593.jpg

The rear spring seats had already started to corrode.

IMG_0584.jpg

I started off by removing the garish FK stickers and shoddy paint overspray on any rubber bushes.

IMG_0598.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Next I flatted back all the yellow paint on each shock/strut ready for painting. I also took the time to remove any burs with a dremmel.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

After masking - 2 spray coats of Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black - Satin (available from Frosts) were applied. I left 24hrs between coats and flatted/keyed the first coat when dry to ensure second would bond.
P1060055.jpg

P1060064.jpg

I tried painting the spring seats but wasn't happy with the paint bond so I had these blasted and powder coated satin black.

Before:
IMG_0584.jpg

Blasted:
IMG_0734.jpg

Coated:
P1060180.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
I purchased new original ABS lead and brake pipe brackets from SEAT

Brake Hose Bracket:
SE1H0611800
SE1H0611799
P1060209.jpg

ABS Wiring Bracket:
SE6N0972327E (x2)
P1060210.jpg

Both were treated to several thin coats of Eastwoods Clear - Gloss Finish Lacquer for Bare Metal to preserve the finish for as long as possible.

Heres some pictures of the net result - clearly I am quite pleased by the number of pictures! Sorry! I'll try and edit them later.

P1060253.jpg

P1060254.jpg

P1060249.jpg

P1060226.jpg

P1060247.jpg

P1060215.jpg

Last edited:

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Christ! Amazing job, I thought I was doing well when I lacquered mine prior to fitting, copper greased, and silicone sprayed them. To be as half as good as you at least, I need to get my hands on those ABS bracket and brakeline bracket?

Could you hand over the codes mate? That'd be great! Thanks

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Christ! Amazing job, I thought I was doing well when I lacquered mine prior to fitting, copper greased, and silicone sprayed them. To be as half as good as you at least, I need to get my hands on those ABS bracket and brakeline bracket?

Could you hand over the codes mate? That'd be great! Thanks

Part Numbers now added to images.

DC

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
The subframe and ARB cost me £35 (coaters min. charge) for both and the rear spring seats cost me £15.

As an alternative I highly recommend Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black - Satin - I might be tempted to use this for the rear beam after getting it blasted.

Last edited:

LMJ

Previously CEY_CLS :-)
May 4, 2009
Bangor, North Wales
Holy moley! Dirt cheap then! I was honestly expecting you to say about £100 for the subframe! Sorry for hijacking your thread btw. I think I'll follow you on the OCD front. I'm starting to get pretty bad myself!

And yeah, I've looked up on the stuff, might get myself some for other bits and bobs! :)

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.