DIY hardwire dashcam installation

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Wind and Rain do affect my Blackvue and cause it to record the movement but it doesn’t register the impact of rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Maypack, and I presume you've had no battery issues as a result of steady downpours throughout an entire day/night when parked!
Guess your SD card just fills & rotates with raindrop activity video's... :happy:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Thanks Maypack, and I presume you've had no battery issues as a result of steady downpours throughout an entire day/night when parked!
Guess your SD card just fills & rotates with raindrop activity video's... :happy:

No issues whatsoever. My Dashcam is connected via the OBD socket and it monitors the battery voltage and shuts the cam down if the voltage drops below a certain value.

The SD card does fill and rotates as you say so no issues there.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
On my quest for a Perm. Live, would the attached pic and fuse position/theory on moving up one notch be applicable and the 'done' thing? On a Skoda forum it seems to be correct for the Octavia VRS, and a MK7 GTI by looks of it.

My Thinkware F770 seems to have the necessary gubbings to know when to activate parking mode, and switch off if the battery volt level gets too low..
attachment.php
Yes, doing that will give you a permanent live feed, you can check by seeing if the 12v power socket(s) is/are permanently live as well.

Reactions: bgb

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Hi Hardwiring Dash Cam Guru's
Fuse%20Box_zps7nsgmn7d.jpg

Recently had my Vantrue N2 Pro hardwired into the fuse box of my MK3 Leon by my local dealer. I specifically asked them to wire it into a perm live socket.

The attached pic is where they have wired it... Where the 'red' wire connects. I suspect this is the wrong place as my Dash Cam simply refuses to enter parking mode when I turn the ignition off. I have Parking Mode 'On' and G-Sensor set to 'Medium' on the cam itself, but looking back at the MP4 history I can't see any activity from where my car was parked at work all day yesterday and last night?? I am only seeing normal driving activity files within the 'Normal' folder.

Can anyone please advise where I should move the cable too?

Many Thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Is the camera supposed to record when the ignition is off? Mine has parking mode, but only starts recording if the g-sensor detects the car has moved (eg been hit).

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Is the camera supposed to record when the ignition is off? Mine has parking mode, but only starts recording if the g-sensor detects the car has moved (eg been hit).

Sorry, yes.. It has motion detectors/sensors as well as the G-Sensor. So if a vehicle, person or object of any kind moves within range of the sensors then it should trigger recording. I find it hard to beleive that a person or car has not moved in front of the camera all day yesterday while it was parked?? So was asking the question regarding the Fuse box connectivity, cause I notice that the cam say's 'Goodbye' and turns off pretty much immediately after I turn the ignition off..??

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
So, reading back through this thread it looks like my dash cam is hardwired into the wrong type of fuse socket, Mini as appose to one of the Regular fuse slots.

Am guessing that the connector being used currently won’t now work in a regular socket and will need to be changed to a Regular type along with a reg 20 amp fuse to connect in the side of it. Don’t think the guys that fitted it left the other connector types with me. These easy to get hold of and change once it’s already been wired?

Then I’ve also seen comments about positioning of the plug.. level with the others, red wire pointing up/down??

Sorry not a Car Sparky!!

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Here’s my instal of a Thinkware F770 2Ch (front and rear)

The hardest part was getting around the B pillar, and still haven’t found how I’m dealing with the excess rear length cable. To be finished another day..

Fuses used were the 12v socket moved to constant power, and the rear windscreen wiper (No. 47) as my switched.

All works as should once I messed around with the parking bit within app, ie sensitivity for motion.

As a “FYI” i installed on the left of the rearview mirror to avoid seeing it... I now can’t unslide the unit haha.

It’s not coming off anyway, but just a side note!

OH and also, used two 5A fuses on the split connector. Probably should use 3A but only had 5’s at hand.

Attachments

• 5FC09FF2-245A-4A87-B0F8-313D9F1E8578.jpeg
    5FC09FF2-245A-4A87-B0F8-313D9F1E8578.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 249
  • 31D6CDA7-2073-4DCC-84E2-4D3CCC809A98.jpeg
    31D6CDA7-2073-4DCC-84E2-4D3CCC809A98.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
  • 4DD6FEA4-53A8-4B6B-8AF8-FBCC2EAB4615.jpeg
    4DD6FEA4-53A8-4B6B-8AF8-FBCC2EAB4615.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
  • 5E48B9DD-5E0A-46EF-8101-71821447B86C.jpeg
    5E48B9DD-5E0A-46EF-8101-71821447B86C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Reactions: louiskopite

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
Guys,

In terryt's first post in this thread you can see that he got side access to the fuse board by removing a panel next to the glovebox. (4th Picture listed)

Can someone please advise how this panel is removed, as I can't for the life of me find out how?

Many thanks

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
One of the most brief but effective replies i've known. Thank you kind Sir, Job done.. :rock:

Haha, I think sometimes it's just having he confidence to know your pulling in the right place. I changed my vanity lights to LEDs, wasn't pulling in the right place, and had to buy a new vanity light. Got the bulb out though.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
One of the most brief but effective replies i've known. Thank you kind Sir, Job done.. :rock:

The seal rubber will hold the edge in, and will feel like somethings stuck..give it a good tug. Took me a few mins to get the confidence!

Reactions: IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford
The seal rubber will hold the edge in, and will feel like somethings stuck..give it a good tug. Took me a few mins to get the confidence!

Hehe.. Yeah, the last thing you want to hear is a cracking sound when trying to pry something off!! , But I managed to get it off in one piece and thus was able to replace the piggyback fuse tap to a different size, so that I now have my dash cam wired into the 12v perm live socket. :coolthumb:funk:

Reactions: bgb

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
I have fitted a viofo a119 dashcam to switched live fuse

All works ok but when car goes Into stop start mode, as in engine turns off at traffic lights the dashcam turns off too.

Is this right? Anyone experience which with other cams?

I’d though the cam should stay on as all other electrics are still on.

IL Cattivo

Apr 12, 2019
Oxford

All works ok but when car goes Into stop start mode, as in engine turns off at traffic lights the dashcam turns off too.

My Vantrue N2 Pro has never turned itself off whether hardwired into a perm live or not when Auto Start/Stop kicks in.

Auto start/stop should only cut the engine, leaving the electrics as is, unless your battery is old and can’t cope with the dash cams load without the engine power.?

Is it hardwired with one of those battery monitors between the cam and fuse board?

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015

Stop/start if the first thing I turn off, even so with mine on a have the same camera and it's fine.

Maybe they have changed things (if yours is a newer model) I know other cars can be an issue with this is push button starters etc, or maybe some switched lives do go off when stop start stops....

Can't remember off the top of my head which mine are plugged in to.

I'd suggest trying another position.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
@bigup

I have reloaded a picture of mine on post number #131 on page number 7, there is a lot going on there but also I have written in white which positions were, P for Perm or S for Switched if its any help. a 12v tester or multimeter are very handy if you don't have one.

Reactions: bigup

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
To compliment my post #127 i forgot this picture. The 12v socket has an add a fuse for rear 12v socket. The other two are for the front dash cam via the above switch. Bottom one is for switched live, the top is for permanet if i so choose.
Bit tight but they just go :)

Thanks mate. Il give the bottom s/l socket a go tomorrow.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.