DPJ's Silver Leon Cupra GT - no more.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Really sorry to hear that Dave, no good deed goes unpunished eh? :( Thanks for your help this morning, your problem has probably been caused by proximity to my car. I think my starter motor is on its last legs, it certainly sounds that way.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
push start it in the morning, Dave.. then we'll all push start you for the trip home ;)

I thought of leaving it running all night.......

Really sorry to hear that Dave, no good deed goes unpunished eh? :( Thanks for your help this morning, your problem has probably been caused by proximity to my car. I think my starter motor is on its last legs, it certainly sounds that way.

Glad to hear yours is sorted and running, Ross. :)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Well instead of a few quarter-miles today, I pulled the starter motor out. It would have been easier if someone hadn't run the charge pipe over the top of it. :whistle:

Battery out, battery tray out, part of the charge pipework.

I didn't exect the starter to be so small.........

P1040839.jpg

P1040840.jpg

Now waiting for the replacement to turn up.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
What tyres were you running Dave?
How did you find traction?
How does your times compare to Santa Pod?
What was your driver number for the day?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
What tyres were you running Dave?
How did you find traction?
How does your times compare to Santa Pod?
What was your driver number for the day?

Toyo R1Rs, Willie. More than happy with the tyres. I wasn't trying to warm them up though.

I'll say here and now that my strip performance was pretty crap. I make no secret of the fact the car is on its original clutch three years into BT. I don't have a diff either. I've always been kind to clutches and I wasn't putting a lot of power through it off the line.

My turbo isn't spooled until 3.8k rpm and any wot at lower revs will cause the car to bog a bit - because it isn't mapped to suit the wmi. The fun of the car in its current set up is on boost in 3rd and up.

Never run at the pod.

Driver number

I look forward to early news that you've taken my Crail 'title' :D

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I spent this afternoon in the sunshine getting the car ready for VW Spring Festival at Santa Pod and some strip action. Seats out. Gave the car a thorough going over, timing set up, Water methanol tank topped up etc. Even had time to wax it and it looked good. :D

Loaded up for an early morning start tomorrow morning and a 190 mile drive. I decided to pop out to fill up with Vpower to save time in the morning. Drove the two miles to the Shell station on the A1. Filled up and paid. I went back to the car, turned the key and the engine briefly turned over - but not enough to start it. Tried again - nothing at all. Dash lights didn't dim on turn of the key....... no starter motor.

I managed to push it off the pumps, then phoned the recovery service. I dug my towing eye out ready while I waited - and 40 mins later the truck turned up. As he had no towbar or rope, we decided to try and push start it. Success - so I drove it home and straight up on ramps.

I'm absolutely gutted as I was really looking forward to tomorrow. :cry:

Sounds like my luck Dave.

Waited 6 months to go to Texas, the morning of my departure arrives I pack the car to travel down to London to catch my flight with friends. As I am packing the boot going in and out of the house I have the car warming up on the drive.

The wife said " Is there a tractor in our road " its not a tractor its my Ibiza running on 2 cylinders.

With no time to sort it out I book a flight from Teesside to London. The one time in 3 years I needed it for a trip and end up on a flight.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members