Engine Replacement - Wheel Alignment

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Not sure if anybody has any experience of this - I had a replacement engine put in my Leon Cupra R back in March, about 1 and half months ago I bought a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics for the front of my Leon.

In that time I've done about 3,000 miles and it's in need of new tyres on the front again - although I have about 2mm on the outside I have noticed that they inside have worn that much that the cord is showing (so obviously it's not being driven now until I get new tyres).

Couple of questions - does anybody know of a requirement to have the front wheels aligned after an engine replacement, since wear that much on the inside can't be normal - and is 3,000 miles on these Goodyears normal as the last set I had lasted about 10,000 miles... might try out the Toyo T1R's.

Thanks in advance!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
3,00 miles on Good Year Eagles F1 Asymmetrics is not normal as far as I've seen.
I don't light up my tyres and probably get 15-20,000 miles out of a set. I initially fit mine to the rear then when the fronts wear out swap ou the fronts for the rears and put the new ones on the rear.
Make sure your tyres are XL rated as you need these for the 18" wheels on the LCR.
Did you have a 4 wheel alignment done after the new engine was fitted?
When fitting the engine they probably removed the wishbones to break out the drive shafts so you should have had the aligment checked

jwfcms

Sep 14, 2008
UK Yorkshire
the LCR has adjustable bottom ball joints to adjust the camber so maybe when these where removed to remove the driveshafts to remove engine and box they have been bolted back up but not aligned up properly.. just take it to a good tyre place and get it tracked up using laser equipment, maybe get them to check for any wear in ball joints, track rod ends and suspension arm bushes which would cause tracking to be out and wear uneven.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Am I right in thinking that because you took the sub frame off that could muck up the geometry?

I moved my Sub Frame when i was doing my DP and Exhaust, got realigned done after that was done.

slater

the camber is adjusted by moving the subframe left or right so needs setting bang on in the middle to get an even reading on both sides.
you can only do this by wheel alignment.
if your cars really low then this will wear the inside edges of any tyre regardless of quality as you can only adjust the camber so far to suit a standard ride height any lowering will knock this reading out
either raise it slightly (yeah right) or live with buying tyres every few months

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
the camber is adjusted by moving the subframe left or right so needs setting bang on in the middle to get an even reading on both sides.
you can only do this by wheel alignment.
if your cars really low then this will wear the inside edges of any tyre regardless of quality as you can only adjust the camber so far to suit a standard ride height any lowering will knock this reading out
either raise it slightly (yeah right) or live with buying tyres every few months
The camber on the LCR is set up with the adjustable ball joint slots on the wish bone arms (swing arms). There is very little movement in the sub frame as the tolerances are very tight and you actually need guides for the rears when fitting the front bolts so this dosn't move by any amount.
Without your car being lowered I doubt that the inner wear on your tyres is due to the camber settings as this is set to max as the OEM set up (-0.5 degree).
I think you've got a batch of bad tyres fro somewhere.
Get good tyres and a 4 wheel alignment check doen and all should be well

Nabraxas

Feb 11, 2007
Well another set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front (hopefully they last a bit longer this time).

Had the alignment checked and the front wheel toe was showing as Toe, left: -6.8mm and right -8.9mm. Both now +0.1mm. Total toe was -15.7mm!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well another set of Goodyear Eagle F1's on the front (hopefully they last a bit longer this time).

Had the alignment checked and the front wheel toe was showing as Toe, left: -6.8mm and right -8.9mm. Both now +0.1mm. Total toe was -15.7mm!
theres your problem. As above new tyres on the rear old uns on the front, its the law!!
According to us anyway:)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise