Got my body back..........!

Hello all, i'm back !!

(spent a bit longer than i expected as i was helping the friends i stayed with clear up, and they have had a bit of a "damp problem" in Rockhampton recently...;-)

Unfortunately, some things that should have happened whilst i was away have not, primarily the bumpers and bonnet final paint. But i've given the painters the kick, and so those should be back in the right colour ASAP

Before christmas i bit the bullet and took the engine out to run and optimise it on the engine dyno.
The aim being to get the cam timing, and ignition angle vs water injection mass sorted (which proved impossible on a chassis dyno due to wheel spin and not being able to hold an accurate enough load/speed).

Quite pleased to say we beat my best guess power target (although didn't quite hit the torque number i had predicted). the bad news was that we managed to crack the block! (got a bit carried away chasing the torque figure, and over advanced the ignition during some water injection sweeps, the indimaster cylinder pressure log later showed 160bar Pmax + 43bar knocking pressure oops!)

Luckily i had a spare block, (i had used to measure up for the girdle plate and sump, so it's all back together, and we will avoid doing the same thing again hopefully

After the inital shake down it became apparent that the powersteering system had a significant amount of hydraulic lag at high handwheel rates, which is not good when you are trying to keep things traveling in a straight (ish) line, so i had ditched the original pump, and fitted a much more powerful (1.2kW) system.

The downside is the new system required it's CAN command system hacking (it's a Mk2 Focus RS pump), so i spent a while reverse engineering that, and building a little ecu
to control it. The upside is that the system now has vehicle speed and handwheel rate proportional assistance:

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

The bigger news is i now have a "paddleshift" system in the car, (custom system ;-) which uses a 12bar air compressor mounted vertically being the passenger seat on the floor:

IMG_3011.jpg

and a 1litre carbon fibre resevoir and switching solenoid system:
IMG_3035.jpg

using a custom ECU i have designed, this now interfaces with the engine and throttle control systems to give fully integrated clutchless up and downshifts.
(upshifts are circa 48ms (except for 1-2 shift which is a bit slower at ~65ms due to larger rev drop required) and "rev matched" (does enigne speed closed loop control via my electronicthrottle system) downshifts in ~80ms

Thats all triggered by a WRC stylee carbon fibre paddle sticking out from the RHS of the handwheel:
CF_shift_lever.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

at the moment, the original mechanical gearlever and "flatshift" strain gauge is still fitted, but once i'm happy with the system i may totally ditch it, or just redesign the centre consol
with a much smaller "backup" carbon lever.

Unfortunately it was wet at Millbrook for the post christmas shakedown of the new trans, but even with a terrible launch the car put in a 7.3s 0-100 with 2 people on board!

the plan is to go back and re-optmise some of the shifting control, and trial run the "max downshift" stragegy that just allows you to hold the paddle away from you, stamp on the brakes, and it will automatically downshift as many times as required until you come off the brakes. (there is also the "pre-emptive" throttle logic to trial, that senses a "stamp" and due to the speed of the ETC can actually get the throttle plates fully open 40ms BEFORE the drivers foot hits the floor ;-)

After the inital tests (in the wet) i have also decided to probably sacrifice a little bit of top end power for a smooth torque curve, so have a custom turbine wheel and housing on it's way, which has some blade clipping and ultratight clearances to try to reduce the boost threshold a bit. With the ALS on, it has no problem running full boost down to about 1200rpm, but it's so noisy in the car it would get black flagged immediately on most track days etc

Other developments are a "Returnless" pressure controlled fuel system, that is running on a bench test but has not made it onto the car yet, and hopefully totally new super lightweight "CAN bus" wiring loom that reduces the loom wiring to 5 wires in most places.

These days, just one lap top is not enough:
2laptops_interior.jpg

And here she is, waiting for her bumpers:

IMG_3007.jpg

SRC_OCT_2010_2.jpg

So, lots of progress, and hopefully comeing to a track day / event near you soon !! :funk:

westallc

Jan 25, 2009
wow you are a special breed not many can do what you do!!!

the car is amazing but what makes it more amazing is your knowledge and skill level beyond what i have ever seen on a personal car build amazing

keep up the good work it really is something many people will follow closely and is being talked about on many a forum true modding GOD

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
Absolutley fantastic, I know there have been many people keeping an eye on this thread so great to see the progress and the car looks stunning

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
so glad you never sold up, as it would never be as good as you have made it dude

love it, that power is CRAZY!!!!!
can't wait to see it finished etc :love:

I was targeting 450kW (600bhp) and 650Nm, and was quite suprise that we fairly easily exceeded the power target by some margin (480kW/644bhp) but didn't quite hit the torque number (ended up on 643Nm @ 5630rpm)

Looking at the power curve, if i dared rev it above 8200rpm there's actually possibly a bit more power to be had..... but i'm gonna revise the turbine sizes a bit and probably drop 20 or 30bhp to try to get a better, less agressive shape to the torque curve around 5krpm

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.