Leon TDi Cupra - EML & Flashing Glow Plug

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Hi Guys,

Just seeking some input although I have done some searching myself.

I bought my car about a year ago and as soon as I bought it the engine management light came on. VAG-COM showed that there was an intermittant glow plug electrical fault. I've reset it a few times to see what error(s) come back. The glow plug number changes.

Searching reveals that this is most likely the Wiring Loom. I didn't get it changed, because I'm lazy.

The past week or two my car hasn't been starting so great. I'm having to crank the engine a little longer than usual. Normally it starts basically instantly.

This morning (wet and cold) it took a good short while to start then my glow plug light started flashing and my traction control warning light was on. Engine started though.
I turned the engine off then put the ignition on. Glow plug light started flashing immediately. I didn't start the car that time.

I've had to come to work with a friend today and left my car at home but will be running VAG-COM when I get back later.

I've read about faulty brake light or brake pedal switch causing the glow plug light to flash, but what about the car not starting well - especially this morning when the light started first flashing. Coincidence?

What d'yall reckon is broke?

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
I've heard with the management light and glow plug light that the accelerator pedal can be faulty. The sender in the pedal goes on the fritz and the ecu throws a fit. I also think it's not as expensive a fix as you might expect. £60 part rings a bell for some reason.

irmscher2007

Aug 15, 2007
Cheshire
A flashing glow plug and EML light on mine turned out to be a crank sensor fault after VAG.COMing it.

Started and drove ok whilst it was on, new sensor put in for around £70.

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Right, finally got home tonight and looked at the car. Both brake lights working fine.

Started my car, took a while to start then was running a bit unstable and pouring black smoke.

Got round to running VAG-COM. Doesn't look great. Here are the results:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Chassis Type: 1M - Seat Leon
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 019 KG
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 5342
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06402
VSSZZZ1MZ4R103021 SEZ7Z0D2464989
4 Faults Found:
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11) Electrical Fault
P0672 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17057 - Cylinder 3 Glow Plug Circuit (Q12) Electrical Fault
P0673 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17058 - Cylinder 4 Glow Plug Circuit (Q13) Electrical Fault
P0674 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16706 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): No Signal
P0322 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: N/A

Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 1C0 907 379 K
Component: ASR FRONT MK60 0103
Coding: 0022017
Shop #: WSC 00001
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent

Anyone got any ideas? I don't know enough, but I guess it could be wiring?
I've heard of some other potential causes but I don't know enough to sensibly suggest anything apart from wiring.

Cheers in advance!

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Looks like you need to sort out the engine speed sensor as it looks like a full failure and is not flagging as intermitent. I'd do that first. Without it I'd have thought that the ECU is going to be struggling with all sorts of measures and metrics on fueling and stuff.

I'd simply clear the DTC for the ASR but wouldn't do anything other than that until that speed sensor had been sorted.

Then I'd get of my lazy arse and do the loom!!! :cartman:

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
I would get the engine speed sensor sorted, then buy a set of glow plugs and a wiring loom. Loom from Seat isn't too much. BERU or BOSCH glow plugs from Euro Car parts are around £35. The loom and plug change only took me about 2 hours and that'll sort your starting issues. Then VAGCOM it again to see what it comes up with, see if it makes a difference.

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Just got back in from looking at & testing my car.

I think I found the Engine Speed Sensor, by (what I think is) the oil filter, in front of the engine block.
Presuming that is the sensor, it was filthy. I unplugged it and the inside was coated in thick black dirt. Cleaned it all out, even used electrical solvent cleaner.

Cleared VAG-COM errors, started her up. Wasn't great the first start but has been much better in subsequent starts.

No thick black smoke. No rough running.

Subsequent VAG-COM checks re-flagged the Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Electrical Fault, but no Speed Sensor errors (or ABS errors).

Looks like I'll be keeping an eye on the speed sensor and changing the glow plugs and wiring loom.

Thx all =)

Sly-Delvecchio

Leet Nerd.
Apr 11, 2009
West Midlands
www.conceptex.co.uk
Changed glow plugs. Starts a bit better. "Cylinder X Glow Plug Electrical Faults" any more.

However, not starting great and last night the lights came back on, flagging the Engine Speed Sensor. I'll be changing the sensor asap. Garages aren't very helpful with this.