mk4 ibiza cupra VAG-COM Logs - Boost issues

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Thanks Bill,

Unfortunately the car itself was mapped by previous owner (Ed), not me. I have no receipt for this work, and Regal have ignored my emails etc. I could ring them, but not quite sure where I stand as they fobbed off Ed several times with excuses.

If boost is a bit low - how is it still reaching the figures that a stage 1 map would usually achieve? I do still suspect a boost leak somewhere. It's just finding the damn thing!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well Looks like the receipt is going to be on it's way to me in the post, so I'll have that to back me up a bit. Remap would only have been on the car for a matter of a few months I think.

I have phoned Regal and awaiting a call back, to see what options I've got.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Well Looks like the receipt is going to be on it's way to me in the post, so I'll have that to back me up a bit. Remap would only have been on the car for a matter of a few months I think.

I have phoned Regal and awaiting a call back, to see what options I've got.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Thanks mate.

Unfortunately the working day is now over, and the promised return call from the expert hasn't happened.

Maybe I'll ring tomorrow and try to speak to him first.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well Regal have blanked me again... promise of a return call from "Chris"..... I don't even think this bloke exists! :(

Guess I better start looking up and pricing up other maps... and get looking for a possible boost leak.

When I look at my graph on pg1 - the requested boost looks very wrong... I expected it to be a mirror-image of what it looks like - peak high boost, then tailing off.... not continually increasing as RPM increases.....

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Well Regal have blanked me again... promise of a return call from "Chris"..... I don't even think this bloke exists! :(

Bad way to run a business...

When I look at my graph on pg1 - the requested boost looks very wrong... I expected it to be a mirror-image of what it looks like - peak high boost, then tailing off.... not continually increasing as RPM increases.....

Thats what should happen mate.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I think the "resolution" of my graph is perhaps a bit coarse... looking at the figures it doesn't really look quite like the graph... nevermind.

I think I've narrowed my remap choices down to AMD, APR or Revo, bearing in mind they are all local-ish to me, and I want customer service without a 200mile trek.

Will see what the pro's say when I get the car in front of them!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right folks:

RR day today went very well, and I've got some graphs for your perusal.
I'm more than happy with the achieved power and torque figure - 210.4bhp and about 260lbft - for a stage1 map that's pretty good.

Power/Torque:
powergraph.jpg

Power/AFR:
afrgraph.jpg

My AFR's aren't as bad as originally thought - and I don't think the map is to blame. However, we are a bit concerned about the irregular plots, the graphs should be much smoother. The RR operators (JKM) said they could feel the pulsing, much like I do on a daily basis driving the car.

Thoughts are looking at N75 or MAF... but I'm open to listen to other educated suggestions as to how to resolve. The surging/fluctuation is VERY annoying.

Any ideas/comments - please post away!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well after swapping the N75 again today (although not a guaranteed working one) the car is still doing this - I am going to order a new MAF at some point very soon, and hope that it is the issue.

If not, then I'll definately need to invest in a new N75. I'm thinking this isn't down to a boost leak as it's far more apparent under mid-throttle, with only a mild boost. I think it's about once every second I feel the pulse until I either increase or decrease the throttle.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Definately thinking MAF might be the issue now. Few more logs see max of less than 160gs, and this would make car run lean if it is flowing more than it's reading....

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well folks, another update!

PROBLEM
This problem is predominantly mid-throttle, 3rd or 4th gear. I can hear the turbo spool-up/down/up/down/up/down almost twice a second on most occasions - very much like a PWM signal. Under full throttle, it doesn't really seem to do this.

TESTS CARRIED OUT
Anyway, some tests I decided to do:

I completed the n249 bypass, including vac. reservoir. This didn't help at all. I've now put this back to standard.

I ran the car with the MAF unplugged. Traction control light came on (assume this is the CEL you'd expect to see) and the car still had the problem.

I put 12v across both of my N75 valves, and they both clicked as I did it - which I understand is what you'd expect to hear from a functional N75.

I checked all hoses on top of the engine that are easy to get to, and can't see any tears/rips.

CONCLUSION
So, currently, I am still none the wiser as to the cause of the problem. As you can see from RR results above, car seems to have the expected power, albeit a tad lean in places, but nothing hugely out of "safe" boundaries...

Anyone care to comment as to where to go from here?
Thanks!

Damoegan

Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Seams like you have checked out all your hardware and its all good.

Looks like you need to look at the map now mate :(

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Not sure on that one yet mate, as I don't really know HOW or what I'm going to be able to say to Regal about the problem.

I really wish I knew more about how the maps are written, and whats involved.. as this would help me believe that the map *could* be at fault.. I mean - this is a generic map, that many cars are running (ok, so maybe not many ibizas) so I find it difficult to believe that it does it on all of their mapped cars.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Ohhh, AND, to add to the list, I'm now running the yellow DV spring + 1 shim to see if it makes any difference. Initial thoughts are that it doesn't seem to change anything, but I'm going to keep it in for now.

I may also try reversing the DV just for sh*ts and giggles, as a few of you (Damo et al) seem to be running them in reverse.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
annoying the PANTS off me now.... happens lots in 3rd/4th/5th gear when performing any form of mid-throttle manoever such as motorway overtaking etc.

Annoying as hell. Think I might try and grab a working N75 to see if it helps - could be both the ones I have being totally shafted, although they click ok, I don't know if they're opening/closing properly or not. If not, might need to get JKM to check for boost issues (less likely as seems to get the boost eventually) and wastegate etc too.

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
annoying the PANTS off me now.... happens lots in 3rd/4th/5th gear when performing any form of mid-throttle manoever such as motorway overtaking etc.

Annoying as hell. Think I might try and grab a working N75 to see if it helps - could be both the ones I have being totally shafted, although they click ok, I don't know if they're opening/closing properly or not. If not, might need to get JKM to check for boost issues (less likely as seems to get the boost eventually) and wastegate etc too.

Have you tried cleaning your throttle body?? I cleaned mine yesterday as it filthy and my car runs so much smoother and i have no stuttering or hesitation when boosting where i did before hand.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members