My Mk2 Ibiza GTi 20VT Track Car Project *The end is here*

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
After collecting my door handle trims from Ben last night, I attempted to fit my door cards today. After offering them up to the door it seemed something wasn't right. A few emails later, and it seems Performance Trim actually have two templates for the Ibiza, and pre and post facelift, as the handles are slightly different. The ones I received are pre-facelift, and I'm wanting post-facelift ones. Fingers crossed I should receive the new ones Tuesday next week and they'll be fitted on Thursday.

As you can see in the pictures, the cut out is made to have a door pull and latch, whereas I will only have the latch there. The shape of the handles are completely different.

DSC_0166-1.jpg

DSC_0168-1.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

So instead, I have continued to remove the sound deadening from the floor, and relocated my VEMS gauge to the pod on the dash. My boost gauge is now sitting with my oil temperature gauge where they'll be in the head unit conversion, and I've removed the centre console.

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
those seats are the sex id love a set for mine but cant get myself to remove the rear seats permanantly lol tow strap is quite easy to fit fitted it to mine all be it different bumper its more or less the same under there just used a big nut and bolt through the existing hole and notched the bumper to get it through flat and if i get towed will not rip the bumper off either has been tested already

good work keep the updates coming

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
those seats are the sex id love a set for mine but cant get myself to remove the rear seats permanantly lol tow strap is quite easy to fit fitted it to mine all be it different bumper its more or less the same under there just used a big nut and bolt through the existing hole and notched the bumper to get it through flat and if i get towed will not rip the bumper off either has been tested already

good work keep the updates coming

Thanks Gaz. I had the same with mine, but now I have a daily driver, not having the rear seats in this one isn't a problem. I'm going to have a look at the tow strap next week. I think the Mk2 and Mk3 Ibiza's are slightly different, as the Mk3 has a screw in tow eye, whereas the Mk2 has one fixed to the chassis. Should hopefully be a simple job though.

They'll look good when fitted mate (i've contacted them about mine aswell now)

Yeah, even just taped on they look better than just the open frame work. They were really helpful about mine. I've just got to hand over the other ones to the courier when the deliver the new ones.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
They do look a bit of a pain to fit. Should have the new ones on Tuesday so I'll try and fit them on Thursday.

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Pre-facelift ones would have been a good idea if you could get hold of some handles, grab handles part of the opener so no need for the extra pull strap.

Nice new additions anyway :D

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Pre-facelift ones would have been a good idea if you could get hold of some handles, grab handles part of the opener so no need for the extra pull strap.

Nice new additions anyway :D

I have these in my daily, but I'm not sure I like them and would prefer the extra pull strap.

All being well, the seats should be fitted this Sunday.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Update time.

My harnesses arrived on Tuesday and I'm really happy with them. The quality of the 3" ones is so much better than the previous 2" I had. My friend picked up some harness eye mounts for me today, and I will be collecting them tomorrow along with a new breather filter as mine has split.

I've also done a bit more work to the head unit situation. I've completely chopped up the facia and removed all the unwanted buttons. Where the tape player was, is now a massive hole, that I will be fibre glassing a DIN 3 gauge holder in to. I've stared fibre glassing over all the unwanted button holes today, and I have to say, it's fairly easy stuff to work with. The "toaster" box has been cut down, but needs to be moved up a touch, and then I have some re wiring to do so I can relocate some of the unwanted facia circuit board.

The Ibiza is now insured again, and worked out £52 cheaper than the renewal price I was quoted 2 months ago. Bonus.

Battery is on charge ready for the trip to Stu's on Sunday for some welding and seat fitting :)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Not yet, Craig. I'm hoping to have it fitted before Snetterton on the 14th. Really need to update the thread but I've just got back from the WRC in Spain!

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent

Thanks Josh! They're such a snug fit.

Looks awesome! :D

Any shots of how you've mounted the side mounts of the seats to the car?

Cheers Phil. I haven't yet, but they'll be coming out again for painting at some point. F2 Stu has done all the welding for me. He's put two, 3mm thick, box section tubing across, and the seats are directly bolted onto that. A lot of people said bolting directly to the box section would crush it and it's need tabs welded on, but Stu has had his like this for years with no problems at all.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members