My Platinum Grey LCR - Another 14 laps at the 'ring

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
why did you change from the 182? I've been considering going the other way!!

Because there so expensive to run, dont get me wrong its probaly the best car ive owned, there absolouty bonkers and the engines are amazing. Il defo go back to one, maybe even a megane sport next, i have a passion for french cars :D

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Quick update - went to the the Nordschliefe last weekend and completed 11 laps in the wet! Weather was not on our side and it rained almost non stop! The car performed brilliantly with not complications - however since being back, 2 coilpacks and front pads have needed replacing. I have also fitted a 16 row oil cooler and brake ducts!
Pics form the 'ring:

ring2.jpg

Ring5.jpg

7120_272525865396_618605396_8644411.jpg

7120_272525895396_618605396_8644416.jpg

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
VERY jealous!!

What happened that you need brake ducting?
What fluid/pads are you running?
113 corners is pretty tough on a heavy cars brakes.
What tyres are you running again?

How did the LCR compare to other motor you were on with?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
VERY jealous!!

What happened that you need brake ducting?
What fluid/pads are you running?
113 corners is pretty tough on a heavy cars brakes.
What tyres are you running again?

How did the LCR compare to other motor you were on with?

I am running RBF660 and had sh1tty Mintex pads in which performed extremely well until they disintegrated coming back into dunkirk.
I've done the ducting as the brakes started to vibrate as the pad material overheated; the discs are not warped as they are perfect when cold.
I've now gone back to DS2500 pads with the 330mm discs and so far, so good!
Tyres are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which give a little bit more road noise but are very very grippy in the wet and dry!

LCR performed very very well; I didn't get overtaken on all 11 laps! It was very very wet the whole time I was there so a number of people were not pushing it! The best lap in the rain was a 10min06sec which was on my 7th lap - we didn't time anymore after that as my passenger told me that was "as quick as he wanted to be driven around the ring!".. fair comment, can't be much fun doing lap after lap as a passenger!
Due to the weather we overtook a number of cars including Porsche's (turbos and a GT3 RS!!) ; however I think it would have been a different story had it been dry!

Snetterton open pit lane on 24th of this month, so I will see how the brakes fair; and what different my oil cooler makes to the oil temps - roughly 135 degrees c max sump temp at the 'ring.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Excellent Danny, thanks for the reply.
Have you thought about DS3000's??
I always thought these were no good for the road but have several reports of these being just as good as DS2500's on the road but WAY better on the track. That what I'm going to change to for next year, not that I have found the limit of the DS2500's but really want to see just how good the braking can be.
The oil cooler, is it just a new sandwich plate with hoses to the oil cooler?
Where do you plan to fit this?
What and how are you doing brake cooling?
I've removed the fog lights, SMIC ducting and some of the wheel arch to give a good supply of cold air to the brakes, not too sure if its best to do this or have specific ducting directly to the brakes?

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
All mods are done Willie - Oil cooler is a 16 row 235mm long cooler with a thermostatic sandwich plate to send oil to the cooler once it hits 83 degrees celcius. I have where the passenger side SMIC used to be; and cut out some of the arch liner, replacing it will mesh.
Brake ducts I have used 100mm tumble drier aluminium hose from the fog light holes; coming through between the wheel arch liner and side engine tray pieces, curling 90 degrees and pointed directly at the calipers - they sit around 2 inches from the calipers - all cable tied in place :)

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Right, was at Snetterton yesterday; not got any pictures; but here is a video clip of a few laps:

Willie; max oil temp 131 degrees c, water was also just over 100 degrees c ..

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
What do you think about the oil temperatures then?
What temperatures are you usually getting when going on a long drive @ cruising speed?

Thank you for the update on this

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
most I see when cruising is around 90 degrees... when blatting around the ring road near me 103 degrees..
I'm thinking 130 degrees is pushing it, and it is starting to show that the LCR is standard trim cannot be pushed and pushed; it needs plenty of time to cool off between stints. I am thinking that water/meth injection might help due to the water reducing cylinder temperatures, which in turn will reduce oil temps and water temps. In fact, water injection without methanol might be the way forward!!
I am also thinking after going for a ride in a caterham, that leaving my LCR as it is, and saving any income I can to put towards a kit car in the next year or so would be a very valid option.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
most I see when cruising is around 90 degrees... when blatting around the ring road near me 103 degrees..
I'm thinking 130 degrees is pushing it, and it is starting to show that the LCR is standard trim cannot be pushed and pushed; it needs plenty of time to cool off between stints. I am thinking that water/meth injection might help due to the water reducing cylinder temperatures, which in turn will reduce oil temps and water temps. In fact, water injection without methanol might be the way forward!!
I am also thinking after going for a ride in a caterham, that leaving my LCR as it is, and saving any income I can to put towards a kit car in the next year or so would be a very valid option.

Not doubting your set up but is the oil cooler getting a good supply of cold air?
Have you removed the SMIC ducting and some of the wheel arch liner to improve the air flow.
TBH I would have thought the oil temperatures would have been more reduced that they were. Did you get any oil temps before fitting this on a track day?
I would doubt that WMI will reduce the engine temperatures enough to make a big difference to the oil temps.
But perhaps your just looking for an excuse to buy this set up;)
Perhaps a bigger cooler would help??

Caterham you say.

Even though I'm VERY new to the track stuff I'm already thinking about my next purchase. The Caterham was on my list too.
The way they go round corners is obscene

DannyC87

Mar 4, 2008
Slicks were very very impressive; was keeping up with far more exotic machines! No baffled sump no. The cooler takes around 0.3 litres; but I check the oil everytime I use the car tbh! Re ducting; yes, I have 100mm aluminium ducting straight into the oil cooler with arch liner vents behind the cooler.
My previous trackday at snett oil temps were around 150'c, however this was measured at the oil filter housing.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Really impressive updates Danny well done mate. You have produced a lovely setup with the LCR for track days.

Interesting note from Willy about baffled sump and having more oil in the system. I would explore this before you go watermeth.