Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Deleted member 98136

I ( like many others) consider the situation with updating the sat nav on Seat's to be very poor in respect of them wanting circa £150 to do so.

In view of this I'm seriously contemplating changing the head unit for one with which you can use a sat nav from another provider eg Tomtom / Igo etc: A bonus to this would be the ability to plug a rear view camera into the unit with no adaptor leads required, which apparently is the case with the Seat unit.

The cost of the replacement unit, as I see it, would be off set by the saving of not spending £150 every time to update the Seat sat nav, plus me not having to source an adaptor lead to fit a camera to the existing head unit.

Having said that though which unit do I go for ? There are quite a few advertised, but as yet no forum members appear to have recommended a specific model to go for.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
I have the Tech Pack and from reading this forum it looks like I can't go Full link (and utilise the Google maps via mirrorlink loophole) as my car is 5F0. Waiting for dealer confirm.

I've read this forum with interest as TomTom used to charge for updates but competition (particularly from Garmin) has forced their hand in offering free updates.

Can see paying for updates disappearing, as all cars will end up utilising your mobile with live maps from Google et al (or end up with a 4G connected SIM onboard in which case they'll hit you with a subscription) and this £150 rip off, for a map that's outdated within days, will be a thing of the past.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hi Stepdey, I believe they are the OEM for all these head units so should do the business. If they get back to you please post the details, think the price may be the stumbling block for me (it depends on how long you'll have car, the convenience of camera, if it comes Full or mirror link enabled and video playback although thing you need to upgrade the CD drive too for DVD?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 98136

Another member, in post headed " Alternative nav system" ( sorry don't know how to link to another post ) has also tried to contact this supplier to no avail, that post is where I originally found this particular unit.

If I do have have any success I will let you know, even if I should find another suitable unit.

G17RY

Feb 10, 2016
Dunfermline, Scotland
Another member, in post headed " Alternative nav system" ( sorry don't know how to link to another post ) has also tried to contact this supplier to no avail, that post is where I originally found this particular unit.

If I do have have any success I will let you know, even if I should find another suitable unit.

Thanks, it'll be good to know if you find something which solves what is only one of two gripes I have with the car (the other being the official Seat tow bar setup with big bumper cut and poor looking cover - but am on the case with a third party provider)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
I wonder how the free map update services work in Europe. My wife's golf comes with 3 years of free updates. I downloaded the files, copied to the original card and away it went. How does the head unit know it was allowed the map update. I tried the same with the seat map data it worked briefly then said data not compatible or something similar.

In Europe you get mapcare which allows you to do the same as the vw... I wonder how mapcare is enabled... Is it in vcds somewhere

Tell

Staff member
Limbering up to buying an Ateca when you can, with the Navigation System Plus. Reading pages 17 and on (read the lot), at one point it seemed to look hopeful that the download site worked for the HD model but am I correct in thinking that there was no joy, so your best option for upgrading the mapping system is to buy a new SD card off ebay and that works for the Navigation System Plus ?. i.e. it's a common card that is used in the standard and the plus navigation systems ?. I like to pre plan for the future.

On a related topic have any of you Leon owners used this site

http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs

or the one talked about and explained in

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/camping-pois-for-vw-rns510-sat-nav.7895/

These are used to import POIs and in the first one to make your favourite destinations as well - you then take the produced file and upload it to your satnav. If they work I'm thinking it would be easier to go through my Co-Pilot favourites file, cut and paste stuff out and re-enter it into the Skoda one if that gives you a workable upload.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone know a way to load igo maps into the seat head unit 6.5 2016 rather than the seat maps contained on the SD card? Aggie

Tell

Staff member
Aggie I think you might be pushing your luck on this one. This is where your integrated system comes in of casting an app running on a device onto the cars screen. If you can't do that then I think you are stuck.

Nobody has replied to be about whether the import of favourites works using the VW / Skoda software which is more likely to work than hacking commercial files rather than paying for upgrades which is what the thread is about although that's not clear in the way that Seat tables materiel between countries. £200 map upgrade is a down right rip off whilst £39 periodic completely new Seat maps via ebay sellers seems to be the best way forward. This is where the favourites import would come in handy since it deletes your favourites in the process.

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
Updating to later maps question.

I've read most of this thread and know that copying SD cards doesn't work so when I saw a "new genuine" Seat 2015 maps SD card on ebay I thought this would be an option that should work.

My Leon FR is a 2013. The Navigation has the following system info.

HARDWARE : 040
SOFTWARE : 0407
Navigation Database : 5F0919866C 0021 ECE 2013.

When I insert the new SD card it says the SD cards contains the navigation database, so far so good.

However when the Nav is started it stops with the following message.

"The navigation data in the SD card are not valid. Please check data."

Does any one know if this means this is a used SD card or one that is genuinely for a different version of the Navigation software/hardware to mine.

The version of the new SD card reports on the system information as.

Navigation Database : 5F0919866K 0045 ECE 2015

So to me the part number just looks like a later letter revision which would make sense. There was no activate code or prompt for one when inserting.

So why doesn't it work?

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
The early models (at least) have to be paired to the SD card by the dealers, the SD cards have some unique ID which is bound to the entertainment system, you can't just swap it out and you can't just copy updated map data to your existing card.

You can ask your dealer and they might pair your card, or they might only do it if you drop the ~£100 for their updated card.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Can't remember guys its was ages ago and I'm not with the car now.

Think if you scroll back through this thread you might find me posting about it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 98136

If anyones interested, I suppose Page 20 of this thread is what AndrewJB is referring to ?

JeffW

Jul 5, 2016
Winchester
2015 Leon FR TSI 150PS Tech

I have just bought a 2015 Leon FR TSI 150PS Tech. It was owned by Seat UK before I bought it and I assume must have had an working Navi system. When the Seat salesman ran me through the car’s features there was no Navi system available. He popped back to the showroom and came back with a CD case, containing an SD card, which he popped in (slot 1). So there was no matching of the card and car at that stage. The part number of the SD card is 5F0.919.866.K. I have read through all of the later posts but I am still not sure if my Navy System Plus can be updated using the Here downloads.

System Information

Device part number: 5F0035858A
Hardware: 041
Software: 0425
Navagation Database: 5F0919866K 0045 ECE 2015
Media codec:
N/A

Last edited:

jeff4066

Sep 9, 2015
I download free updates for my Cupra 280 from a SEAT website. Its easy have done it 3 times now just back up your SD card then copy over the new files.