Painting a red lip on alloy wheels..

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Absolutely sick to death of the white rims now :lol:

They are an absolute nightmare to keep clean!! I had them spotless, I mean spotess last Sunday morning. 80 miles and 2 hours later at a show, they were bloody bogging :cry:

So, gonna paint them black with a red lip around the edge. Any suggestions on how to do this?

I'm thinking sand/soda blast them, spray the red over the area I want, then mask off the "lip" and do the rest black?

Anyone done this themselves :confused:

Any help at all mucho appreciated

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Bikers use it all the time, it's very durable. Obviously it won't survive a kerbing, and you can't use wonder wheels, but it will resist a decent clean.

Use the pre-curved stuff for the best effect, you only need one bikes worth so it won't be that expensive. Make sure the wheels are perfectly clean and degreased, and you'll be fine.

Mat

why would he use wonder wheels anyway? quiet acidic stuff

use bilberry or autosmart very cherry... and make sure you seal the wheels once they are cleaned or after you have painted them

Mat

paint, tape, seal

the tape may not bond as well to any sealant or wax....

however, if they're being sprayed anyway, why not spray teh red lip like you suggested. I know I would. That way you don't have to worry about wheel brushes, cleaners etc possibly damaging the tape ;)

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
paint, tape, seal

the tape may not bond as well to any sealant or wax....

however, if they're being sprayed anyway, why not spray teh red lip like you suggested. I know I would. That way you don't have to worry about wheel brushes, cleaners etc possibly damaging the tape ;)

Yea thats my conundrum lol. I guess the tape is alot more idiot proof though

Mat

what, and painting isn't? whichever you do, you will have to tape something... be it put red tape on black rims, or spray the edges red, then masking tape the lips, and spray black..... either way involves spraying and taping

seriously, seeing as they will be sprayed anyway, do the lip in paint.... if it was a case that you already had black wheels, then yeah, I would suggets tape

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
what, and painting isn't? whichever you do, you will have to tape something... be it put red tape on black rims, or spray the edges red, then masking tape the lips, and spray black..... either way involves spraying and taping

seriously, seeing as they will be sprayed anyway, do the lip in paint.... if it was a case that you already had black wheels, then yeah, I would suggets tape

I just mean with regards to getting it perfect and even on all 4 wheels

Mat

I just mean with regards to getting it perfect and even on all 4 wheels

do the wheels not have a natural lip on them?

if you got them a touch wrong, it'd barely be noticeable.... not like the wheels will be next to each other when fitted

Deleted member 35176

I agree with the above, just make sure you sand them down when painting, you probs know, my mate painted his black after having them silver but just applied the paint straight on, a garage wanted 400 quid too fix, cheaper get new ones.

Should look good though!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
wasn't there a thread a while back showing some clip in and over rim edge protectors you could use to add a coloured lip

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.