pop, black smoke, no power huge flame out exhaust

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
had a burn up tonight and all of a sudden a huge amount of black smoke was pouring from my exhaust followed by a big flame, I pulled over to the hard shoulder (mate was behind me and seen everything) at first I thought it might have been a pipe but it wasn’t, rolled the car back and a small puddle of oil was underneath. started the car and huge amounts of white smoke filled the motorway so got it towed to my mates garage (shut obv at 2 am) started it and was fine, no smoke gave it some gas and just as the turbo should be spooling ar roughly 2k rpm white smoke was coming out the exhaust...not sure, and praying it’s not my turbo. Any ideas?? thanks in advance guys

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Ooouch!! I think I'd praying it wasn't my turbo too, but from your description, it probably is, especially with the oil under the car and flameage :(

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Sounds like turbo oil seals have gone and the turbo is sucking the oil in that should be lubricating the bearings.

Be careful as this can be very dangerous, the turbo can actually suck enough oil in to make the engine run and rev up all on it's own, if this happens it will not shut off until all the oil in the sump has gone and the engine seizes up :(

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Sounds like turbo oil seals have gone and the turbo is sucking the oil in that should be lubricating the bearings.

Be careful as this can be very dangerous, the turbo can actually suck enough oil in to make the engine run and rev up all on it's own, if this happens it will not shut off until all the oil in the sump has gone and the engine seizes up :(

just going to put it up on a ramp to see exactly what it is....do you reckon the turbo could be fine??

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
take your pipes and itercooler out see if its filled with oil.. dont sound to good though..

time for hybrid ???

ill do that just now, only problem i have is i need to take my bumper off, i just took it off 2 days ago to clean the pipes and the intercooler :lol: if it is the turbo then im hoping i can get a decent used one and hybrid the bad boi :D

basssound

May 31, 2007
Rotherham, South Yorkshire!
Defo you turbo has popped a seal, either get it reconditioned or go the hybrid treatment
BUT you will require an uprated clutch, possible injectors and front mount intercooler plus another remap!!

borderboy

Sep 5, 2009
Gretna Green
Defo you turbo has popped a seal, either get it reconditioned or go the hybrid treatment
BUT you will require an uprated clutch, possible injectors and front mount intercooler plus another remap!!

a turbo/map is all......clutch when it does go - not essential atm !

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
thanks for all replies guys, got my car on the ramp and had a look at it and my turbo has blown, either the ball bearing or fins have broke/shattered, took my turbo to intercooler pipe off and there were small pieces of metal shreds. Looks like I will be going hybrid now :)

joesmad4it

Cupra TD-aight!
Mar 11, 2008
Wickford - Essex
hope the worst hasnt happened and killed the engine too.
you havent mentioned if your car is a diesel or a petrol?

His other post on here mentions he has a cupra tdi 160 and has listed options of a new, reconditioned or hybrid replacement. Would love to know peoples thoughts on this as I may do this before my first map unless I have to do any major changes apart from an uprated clutch?!

Seat Adam

Dirty Densel Driver
Take off the intercooler pipes from intercooler to manifold as there could be more oil and metal in there too. If there is then it could mean you may have metal in the engine causing unnessessary wear and damage. Sometimes goes through to the exhaust too so have a quick look there.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
I hope you get your turbo fixed, however I think you need to consider what you are doing on public roads......your words not mine

had a burn up tonight and all of a sudden a huge amount of black smoke was pouring from my exhaust followed by a big flame, I pulled over to the hard shoulder (mate was behind me and seen everything) at first I thought it might have been a pipe but it wasn’t, rolled the car back and a small puddle of oil was underneath. started the car and huge amounts of white smoke filled the motorway so got it towed to my mates garage (shut obv at 2 am) started it and was fine, no smoke gave it some gas and just as the turbo should be spooling ar roughly 2k rpm white smoke was coming out the exhaust...not sure, and praying it’s not my turbo. Any ideas?? thanks in advance guys

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
I hope you get your turbo fixed, however I think you need to consider what you are doing on public roads......your words not mine

purely for your information what i was doing on public roads was legal! i went for a burn up yes,on the motorway for a reason, so i can see how the car is performing until i hit the 70 speed limit. if you look at other threads you will see others who have had same problem using the car driving from and to work, and all of a sudden pop!u have to agree these things happen, not always due to driving hard or "what your doing on public roads". that said i understand what u mean, but know its not the case with me ;)

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
Take off the intercooler pipes from intercooler to manifold as there could be more oil and metal in there too. If there is then it could mean you may have metal in the engine causing unnessessary wear and damage. Sometimes goes through to the exhaust too so have a quick look there.

ye done that, i'll put up pics of what came out the pipes (apart from oil) wil need to take my intercooler out too because i think it may have filled with some oil too, plus will give me a reason to clean it

Jul 23, 2008
Manchester - UNITED
DONT RUN THE ENGINE!
If the oil seels have gone the turbo can empty the contents of your sump into the engine in minutes, which meens bye bye valves or rods or both or worse :(
Get the turbo sorted n clean all the pipework n intercooler out before you run it.

Last edited:

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
purely for your information what i was doing on public roads was legal! i went for a burn up yes,on the motorway for a reason, so i can see how the car is performing until i hit the 70 speed limit. if you look at other threads you will see others who have had same problem using the car driving from and to work, and all of a sudden pop!u have to agree these things happen, not always due to driving hard or "what your doing on public roads". that said i understand what u mean, but know its not the case with me ;)

A "burn up" could be seen by a police officer as racing on a public road. Please feel free to scan the the highway code and show me where it says that its fine to race on public roads.

You dont have to break a speed limit for your actions to be taken as racing.

PS have a chat with Devonmikeyboy if he's still around about going big turbo.

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
thought id show u guys what happened to the turbo pipe (comming from intercooler) and what was found inside the pipe work:

this was just some pieces i found in one pipe...

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise