Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Rob, I think you need to get back out on track in it first to see if you still love it. If that's what you want to use it for that's where it needs testing/ evaulating, before you make your decision.

I think you would regret breaking it, although no doubt, it will go that way in due course.

Fingers crossed for you mate, I look forward to spending some track time together. You're also quite welcome to come out in mine now that I've fitted my seats/ harnesses etc and decide if that's what you want to do.... Give me a shout if you want to arrange anything.

Good luck.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Cheers for all the comments.

After a lot of consideration and a few test drives I've decided to put the car up for sale, but will break it for parts if necessary.

Since getting my BMW it's undoubtedly changed my perception of the Cupra and my preference for something more desirable, yet still with good performance that's orientated for regular track use.

I love the performance of the Cupra which never fails to put a big smile on my face, but I just don't desire it as a car anymore. Must be growing up... :)

I could easily spend another 10k on the Cupra getting it properly setup for track with an HTA 2868 setup, but I'm ultimately always going to be driving an old hatch. I've started looking at various cars to see what else takes my fancy and over the weekend I test drove an S2 Lotus Exige S which proved to be a whole lot of fun, with impressive performance. Obviously whatever I look at for a replacement is going to be £££ but I feel it's time for the next step.

Watch this space for updates

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
After a few odd weekends of just enjoying the Cupra for the odd country blast I decided to sign myself up for what could potentially be it's final visit to the Nurburgring with a couple of guys from work; one with a 440 BHP E92 335i and another with a 420 BHP RS engined ST Focus.

Unlike the normal tourist days this is an official half-day open pit track day so it should give me a good chance to get some clearer laps in and learn the track much better. Last weekend Dale replaced my front brakes with new discs and pads; this time switching from the Ferodo DS3000s to the Mintex racing equivalent. I got on really well with the Ferodos but they ended up eating my discs within 8,000 miles so time to try something different; though the friction compund appears very similar in the Mintex too.

WP_000773.jpg

WP_000776.jpg

WP_000777.jpg

WP_000779.jpg

WP_000782.jpg

Once that was done it was off for a full wash, vac, polish, interior clean, engine clean and wax to bring Pedro up to his best ready for some abuse when it hits Germany

WP_000793.jpg

WP_000791.jpg

While the sun was out the other evening I also decided to go out and play with a couple of mates on their superbikes for a bit of of a laugh.

20120808_2025501.jpg

Whilst I've had no interest in the car as a whole there's plenty of enquiries for parts if I do end up breaking it for bits - which I'd rather not have to do but we'll see...

This Nurburg trip will ultimately decide what I end up doing with the car when I'm back depending on how well it goes over there. I'll follow up with pics next week

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
You'll probably fall back in love with it Rob. Have you been on track with your SQS yet? I've booked up a couple of days for some track time myself, I think I might fall back in love with it.

Ahh tough decisions...

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
robbie i think you will be better off breaking as you will never get 9k for it , as you have probs guest all ready .

I don't ever expect anyone to pay 9k for it but if not that's fine; I'm in no rush to sell and I'm not prepared to give it away when it's such a clean example. That price is based on what I expect to make back in parts if I were to break it.

After a really good trip away at the Nurburgring however I've had to do a lot of thinking since I've been back home and have to admit I'm now tempted to see the project through and turn this into a proper track car with a 2868 HTA, bucket seats, harnesses, and decent wheels and tyres.

Once on track it was apparent just how capable the little Cupra is, even on skinny little road tyres which were really holding me back against everyone else out there on semi slicks. On the straights however I was able to keep pace with the GT3 RS' which really surprised me, not to mention put a massive grin on my face. Hitting 130 MPH down foxhole and 160 down the dottinger hohe is a real adrenalin rush and it undoubtedly surprised a lot of other cars.

What was very clear however is how the car is not at all track fit in it's current state of tune; the wheels and tyres were abysmally poor, the aggressive map doesn't make for smooth entries/exits and such high boost means I'm always pushing the turbo 100% where things are getting extremely hot, meaning I had to keep backing off the power to let things cool down before attacking another section of the circuit. The driving position is also shocking and needs to be addressed if I want to continue focussing on track days.

With proper track wheels/tyres, buckets & harnesses, a bigger turbo on low boost and perhaps an oil cooler for good measure I've no doubt the car will transform out on track, with a good solid base of modifications to work from already.

The car will shortly come off the road again for Winter while I also make some final decisions before any work commences early next year, so for now; watch this space.

Here's a few pics that were taken during the track day:

TDE2A_0020.jpg

TDE2A_0370.jpg

TDE2A_0886.jpg

TDE2A_1059.jpg

TDE2A_1509.jpg

DP01.png

_T204672.jpg

_T204376.jpg

_T203978.jpg

_T203773.jpg

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I was being destroyed by anything with semi slicks in the corners, the poor little Rainsports were shredding to pieces out on track and the OE wheels are way too skinny to provide enough cornering stability. On the straights there was little pulling past me however, but that doesn't make for a quick/capable track car.

Attempting to follow two GT3s into a corner at the same entry speed was a clear mistake as I was nearly spat out on the other side. How's yours looking these days Josh?

Last edited:
A set of 7" Pro Race 1.2s would pull a premium one week before race wars... haha!

Mine is looking great! For sale just now... I am really not wanting to get rid of it but a house is on my priority list right now, and with a car worth a couple of grand sitting there doing nothing it would be stupid to hold onto it right now... :(

Plus the S14 is plenty fun! :)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
go for it robbie

the half and half status now just means its completely compromised.
if its track use.. and lets face it it has been for a long time now... why try and keep it like a road car??

mine started as my brand new car,,, and now look at it.,.. track car. no compromise.. but epic performance on track

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Cheers all

Tom - really wish I had now. As the wheels are freshly refurbed with new Yoko AD08s I figured I'd get the most money selling them as-is rather than part-worn but obviously that may change now.

Either way it was a massive mistake taking to this track with my Rainsports - I've ripped them to shreds and was getting eaten alive through the twisties in anything with decent rubber.

As luck would have it I'm due on training in Munich next week which gave me the perfect excuse to go home, swap cars and bring Vera along to Nurburg on the way for my second visit in a week :)

As the VLN racing was also on today it really was perfect timing. Here's a couple of Vera, I'll get some more up of the VLN itself later this week

Leaving work freshly valeted:

WP_000840.jpg

Arriving in Nurburg:

WP_000842.jpg

WP_000846.jpg

WP_000911.jpg

Parked up at T13, overlooking the GP circuit:

WP_000960.jpg

Settled for the night at Burgstrube, overlooked by Nurburg Castle

WP_000962.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.