SOLVED: fluttering boost - now i have smooth power delivery

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
ive had issues for a while where the power delivery wasn't smooth,

when planting it, the car wasn't delivering the power smoothly at all, for like of a better word, it felt inconsistent

i've read lots of posts on this, and it seems there were a few things it could be

To solve this myself and Skahigh when for a few runs and logged the MAF
I was getting a max flow of 186 g/s

His MAF was getting about 220 g/s, so we swapped his MAF into my car and did some more logging, and it was peaking about 195 g/s,
so it was off to GSF to replace mine with a new one.
We fittted it, and did some more logging and my new one was now peaking at 200 g/s
a little under what his was producing in his car, but we put that down to me running the stock air filter.

the power delivery did improve with the new maf, but it still wasn't consitent, so Skahigh suggested cleaning the Throttle Body
this was a 30 min job, and pretty easy to do, it was fairly gunked up!
after this, he got out vag com, and did a throttle body reset/recalibration.

the car now delivers power very smootly all the way through the rev range in every gear
it also feels quicker!

hope this helps someone solve similar issues!

sparkyc

Jul 15, 2008
how many miles have you covered, if there prone to getti ng clogged up wondering if worth doing mine??

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
You can do a throttle body reset without vag com, something to do with disconnecting the battery, can't remember how off the top of my head though.

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
What is the process with vag com? I have an old version and not had a good play with it? Can remember anything about throttle reset.

mishy

Did my TB recently on my LC which had done 70k, although it didnt look too bad it did smoother power output, response and idle.
I didnt have VAG-com and it seemed to sort iteself out,just left it ilde for 5min then trundled around for 30mins thereafter. Wynns Carb and injector cleaner is what i used with some cotton ear bud things to get into tight spots.

Best advice from me is use a brick or simliar on the throttle pedal with the key in(but engine off) to open the body, dont force it open if you have drive by wire(e.g. AUQ,BAM engines) as it will likely damage the stepper motor.

a very worthwhile excercies to carry out yearly along with a service in my view. Just becare the green gashet doesnt get too out of shape...

Jul 29, 2006
cumbria
www.facebook.com
The only way you can do a proper throttle body reset is with vag-com,i too did a TB clean,as long as you don't disconnect the throttle body from the electrics you don't need vag-com,unless the butterfly vane isn't fully shutting,then, i think a reset is required via vag-com.The TB clean made my car much more responsive,it has got rid of a flat spot i had,pull away is very smooth,all-in-all an excellent job to do,and only 20 mins tops.:D

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I wouldn't fancy cleaning it while still connected to the inlet mani, seems like that would be a right ball ache and wouldn't allow you to properly clean the whole thing.

Gnollins

Bosh!
Jul 24, 2006
Yarnton, Oxfordshire
I'm sure I saw on here a while ago that you can do a throttle body alignment by having the driver's door and bonnet open at the same time and turning on the ignition (but not starting the engine).

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I've also read on here you need to do a re alignment even if you leave it connected?

Maybe someone could clear the confusion up for good?

Stu_pot

Fire Starter
Mar 26, 2004
Near Blackpool
I'm sure I saw on here a while ago that you can do a throttle body alignment by having the driver's door and bonnet open at the same time and turning on the ignition (but not starting the engine).

I was under that impression too! Drivers door open, bonnet open and ignition on...

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
I've also read on here you need to do a re alignment even if you leave it connected?

Maybe someone could clear the confusion up for good?

Actually yes, a realignment would probably still have to be done because once you have cleaned the crap out from inside the TB the gap between the valve plate and the wall of the TB would be bigger.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
ive done 64 k on my bam engine, power seems to be fine with my stage one remap.. (as far as i no mine has never been cleaned)

i have a vagom fault code reader... ( you no read fault, then delete it)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can any one Talk me threw it?? throttle body linked to inter cooler pipe on lcr ? !!!!!!

could give it ago tonight,, what do i need to clean it??

mishy

i know this is debated elsewhere quiet a bit,
But if it has the abililty to change from factory settings to the slightly open 'dirty' TB state(along with daily differing air temps and octane types), then surely it can factor in the improved TB flow rates. I'm not saying instantly but resonable length of time.Mine did idle rough for a few mins but the gains were evdident after 30mins normal driving.

What I'm tryign to saying is its a cheap worthwhile operation to do even without a vag-com realignment, but done to the letter you would clean the TB, replace the gasket and do the realignment.

Wouldnt you agree?

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
ive done 64 k on my bam engine, power seems to be fine with my stage one remap.. (as far as i no mine has never been cleaned)

i have a vagom fault code reader... ( you no read fault, then delete it)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can any one Talk me threw it?? throttle body linked to inter cooler pipe on lcr ? !!!!!!

could give it ago tonight,, what do i need to clean it??

right ok how do i go about cleaning it taking it off etc??:blink:

Dec 4, 2006
Manchester
This tb cleaning exercise has sorted my long running hesitation problem under part throttle. At 2k to 3k revs. Cant thank you enough. Ps no vag reset performed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members