Swiss Leon4 V6 goes EVOLUTION -> many Pics inside

Kuhprah

Hi Folks!

With this thread i`d like to introduce you my car. My english isn`t the best one (just the stuff they`ve teached me in school :D ) so therefor i will show more pictures than much text to read. Each picture shows a port of the prozess how i get my standart SEAT Leon4 Cupra V6 into an nice and beasty race Leon. :)

First of all, let me show the base car.

It is an SEAT Leon 4 Cupra V6. Interieur are part-leather Recaro seats and all the goot stuff SEAT offers for money. It is an 2.8 litre 6 Zylinder enginge, 6 speed manual gearbox an all wheel drive. Power should be 204 HP an 270 NM of torque. In reality there where only 195 HP and 271 NM at the dyno run. In2003 i also built in an LPG (liquid gas) injection system, so driving gets much cheaper. 1 litre super was at aboit € 1.30 that time, an LPG you got for € 0.55 :funk:

Here are the data of the base car, befor i began to strip [B)]

Base wheight: 1.590 kg
Front axle: 930 kg
Rear axle: 660 kg
Balance: 57 % / 43 %
8.15 kg per HP

l2iiatlt.jpg

First of all, an race car needs an roll cage. I decidet for an complete welded roll cage made of steel. First of all, i had to tind out, how many m of pipe i have to order. And therefor i had my own method :redface:

3qtkgsx8.jpg

nvkm9kkv.jpg

After removing the wool i had the lenght to order :funk: Next step was to strip the car. For making the cage in, i had to remove nearly everything between enginge an rear lights :headhurt:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuhprah

2o37k6vd.jpg

Now the seats, rear seats, covers around, the roof etc. are out of the car.

zh6jeerm.jpg

Floor an Konsoles in the front also had to leave...

apam6w5l.jpg

My new luxury door panels :cheeky:

dayslcee.jpg

Now is everything what was not necessary to drive out of the car so i could start to built in the roll cage. That was one of some steps i did not on my own. I let the pipes weld into teh car by a professional company. Becaus my car has an roof window there are no cages on the market who would fit into my car. So we had to built al on our own :redface: But look on your self.

kzwb6tce.jpg

the rar part of the Leon. There will be no place to carry anyone around in future :whistle: Also an quicky on the rear seats are defenitly past :rolleyes:

Kuhprah

ee7nr97k.jpg

Look into the end of my leon. You also can see the additional LPG fuel tank. But this tank has also been removed. 20 kg less wheigt :cheeky:

After all of that work the cage had to get some color. I decidet for white. It makes a great contrast to the red rest of the car.

upd62osn.jpg

awk44cjs.jpg

After removing the protections slides this step of evolution also was done :blink:

iu56s3hw.jpg

4clbkngq.jpg

Now, the cage was built in, i also had to put new seats and belts into my Leon. Standard seats does not fit, and the standart belt also had to move off. I decidet for 2 new Sparco Pro 2000 seats, kombinated wich Schroth Porifi III-FE asm 5 point belts.

hyfoxqwt.jpg

But after building the consoles and seats into my car, i fast recognized, that this will not work as good as i have planed it.

wy49yju7.jpg

With the original Sparco consoles fpr the SEAT Leon 1M aou are sitting too high. This differenze between the cage pipe and my head was not amusing...

Kuhprah

aw3gukw3.jpg

Here you can see it. Original Sparco consols take about 10 cm space additional to the serial seat in the car :blink: So i had to built my own console :bleh:

l84lxi9t.jpg

After that the seats also fittet quite good. Now i just had to complete the car and my Leon Cupra EVO I was complete.

Here some images from Stage 1.

jjzzhda8.jpg

6xcce538.jpg

5ws3sq65.jpg

f3ld8ivw.jpg

zr6k7b3z.jpg

And here teh data of Stage 1:

Base wheight: 1.520 kg
Front axle: 900 kg
Rear axle: 620 kg
Balance: 59 % / 41 %
Power: 207 HP
Torque: 302 NM
7.34 kg per HP

Stage 2 is following in a few minutes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuhprah

So, as promised, lets begin with Stage 2.

Content of Stage 2 is primary to remove the PGL fuele injektion system from engine, and remove other parts to geht the car lighter. Because the V6 has no turbocharger, there is no easy way to geht more power. But getting less wheigt is also no bad way :D

First of all i had to prepare the car at home in my carport. There is no lift or any other helpiung tolls available, but it worket well.

3yp7dn5d.jpg

tv797ebr.jpg

In this position my poor Leon had to stay about 4 months. I ordered the complete emgine harness to get a good original electric system. But SEAT was not able to deliver this part within 3 months [:@] Great work SEAT swiss :redface:

Then i startet to remove wheels, front bumper, head lights, bnattery, air box

27domrdj.jpg

Now my car without air condition and cooling. In the back of the picture you can see the yellow Leon 1,8T Sport 4x4 of my wife. He is still stock and will stand stock :happy:

nzkvob99.jpg

Now i also removed the komplete (dont know how it is called in english, its the part where the air flows from the airbaox through and gets seperatet to the zylinders :rolleyes:, so i call it "The big grey part") big greay part.

Kuhprah

vjmph7qb.jpg

In a normal way, the injektion noozles of the gas system schuld be in that grey cover. But no, that idiot made them directly INTO the cylinderhead :headhurt:[:@] So i will have to change the complete head of the engine. In the mean time i found a nearly new complete engine, so in Stage 3 i will repace my V6 enginge and will repace ith through a new 2,8 V6 enginge wir some modifications :D

I also made a small service with the front part wher the cooler and lamps am mountet. After 6 years and 160.000 km they don`look very new..

dkybzc63.jpg

47l7wfey.jpg

After removing all the rusty metal, and giving new paint on it, those parts look like new. :)For better air flow a part of the front part got some holes.

m6z8ngrp.jpg

Kuhprah

The water cooler also got washed. You dont belive how much dirt and other things you can wash out of that part :blink:

A new "SEAT" logo on the cooler also had to be done. Ok, i have no intercooler for an turbo, but it looks great too :whistle:

piui5237.jpg

After removing all the cables form the old LPG system i began to rebuilt the car.

ytieflw3.jpg

You can see that it should get an Leon 1M if it is finished. Step by step end slowly the car got one part again.

biszl97z.jpg

Now are just lights, bumber and some other small things missing and the car ist complete.

ks2y5kn7.jpg

I have to say, it look quite complicatet first time, but if you are working it isnt really hard. I think the greatest step is to begin. If you ar still working, there are no problems. Ok, if you have an great internet community where you can get tipps and hints then you have it really easy.

After all that work Stage 2 was finished. An removing all the things was quite effizient. Over 100kg got lost.

So i can present for EVO II following data:

Weight total: 1.420 kg
Front axle: 860 kg
Rear axle: 550 kg
Balance: 61% / 39 %
Power: 207 HP
Torque: 302 NM
6.85 kg / HP

Kuhprah

And here the actual details for my car. Additional to the changes above, my Leon got following parts:

- Bastuck Cat-Back stainless steel Exhaust system
- KW Var2 Suspension
- AP Racing 4 piston Calipers on front axle (from the Ibiza Cupra)

And thats my ride today:

iycilos2.jpg

2t8ixt8i.jpg

q4rocxz6.jpg

wawss8bf.jpg

i8g5opb3.jpg

lu5qa6ib.jpg

gwy89ef9.jpg

An 3rd and last Stage of Evolution is still in planing. The car will get a new sticker design, more power, less wheigt and a better suspension.

Thank you for reading and looking my postings. I know, sometimes it might be hard to understand. But lets have a look, how my english sounds in a few months, if i feel good here at your place. Who knows....

So Guys, not its on you. Comments, suggestions or just shaking the head...

Kuhprah

Problem with the white skirt ist that they are paintet. So it qould get quite expensive to remove them. And i like them. Makes the car more striking. In Summer i have also white wheels, so it fits quite good i think.

I will never drive rallye with this car, thats just for fun. I drove in austrian rallye championship with an silver Mituishi Lancer EVO 5 Gr. N which i crashed a few years ago. Since then is stopped driven races. The Leon is onaly a car for fun and should show, that tuning is more than just putting the car deep, mounting chrome rims, make it loud and put expensive HiFi-Systems in it ;)

Razor

Inked Up Nation
Oct 12, 2008
Outside Belfast
www.bebo.com
Problem with the white skirt ist that they are paintet. So it qould get quite expensive to remove them. And i like them. Makes the car more striking. In Summer i have also white wheels, so it fits quite good i think.

I will never drive rallye with this car, thats just for fun. I drove in austrian rallye championship with an silver Mituishi Lancer EVO 5 Gr. N which i crashed a few years ago. Since then is stopped driven races. The Leon is onaly a car for fun and should show, that tuning is more than just putting the car deep, mounting chrome rims, make it loud and put expensive HiFi-Systems in it ;)

I see yeh..
I just think IMO that a red skirt would make it look more sleek/smooth/lower ( all one ) but each to their own. It is your car at the end of the day :)

White wheels would look very nice too !!

About the Hi-Fi, theres nothing wrong with them, keeps you happy in traffic jams :lol:

All the best

Kuhprah

Ok, but i have the sound of the 2,8 VR6 enginge... no radio can replace that :drive1:

And for longer journeys i have the Mazda... ists equipped with an Bose Sound System and that will ring me throu England and Scottland next year :p

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Now i also removed the komplete (dont know how it is called in english, its the part where the air flows from the airbaox through and gets seperatet to the zylinders , so i call it "The big grey part") big greay part.
that would be the inlet manifold ;)

good project.

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
2.8 V6? So that'll be the engine out the Mk3 VW Golf? That engine does sound superb! :D

Over here the Leon Cupra's are only 1.8t or 1.9PD engines!

I'm liking the looks and the roll cage! :)

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
very good work my friend looks like you have done a fantastic job....as you say you can tune a car with phat low stance and air ride with a big exhaust or do it properly like yourself...nice one mate, hopefully the next stage will be even more striking..

btw why upgrade on KW variant 2?...they are quite good already

Kuhprah

@Ibiza 130 TDI
It is not exact the same engine as it works in Golf Mk3. There it is the 12V enginge. SEAT sold the Leon with the new 24V 2,8 VR6 enginge, the same as in Golf Mk4 and Jetta are working. But u are right.. the sound is great :p

Why u never could buy a Leon V6 you have to ask SEAT UK why they never offered them. I dont know, i just know, that in UK there was an Leon Cupra 1,8 20VT, that was sold in Rest oft Europe as Leon Sport 20VT. Cupra where always wir 4 wheel drive and the 2,8 V6 enginge or the 1.9 TDI with 150 BHP. Later Cupra was taken from the market and the with less equipment the TopSport and later Formular Racing startet. The Leon Cupra R had alway the 1,8 T enginge. First with 209 BHP, later with 224 BHP and 2WD. Dont know what there went wrong in the island :D

@DOLBY
Yeah, i think EVO III will really rock. Actual i have 6.85 kg for each horse in front. I`d like to get unter 6 kg per BHP. We will see if that will work..

The KW V2 what i have installed ist not bad, but as you can see, that suspension was made for cars with an axle weight up to 1.020 kg. An my Leon will have an least at maximum 850 kg in front. So the springs are not really the perfect setup. I think, an KW Clubsport will do a better work here.

@Scotty_B
I have them still down under, becuause no one wants to pay the price i want to have for that rare seats. And ebay makes the prices absoloutly uninteresting for selling :headhurt:

92k7r2uu.jpg

They look like that.

PS: Great, you understand what i`m typing :clap:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Your english is good mate, puts me to shame as i can hardly speak it my self!
I take it from that your after a lot! PM me if you have a price in mind!

Have you thought of light weight wheels to help or do they take a goo knocking out there?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Great project there.

I'm very jealous of the 4WD system as you said we didn't get it here.
I'm doing a project a bit like your one to make a track car out of my LCR. There is a link in my signature.
Why did you use the Ibiza brakes instead of the 323mm LCR ones, with 2 piece discs they are awesome.
The roll cage looks good but why doesn't it triangulate the rear turrets aswell?
Have you tried messing about with your coilovers to balance the corner weighting to see how this effects the cars handling?
Would you not be better transplanting the 1.8T engine into this car and get the car mapped to 270 BHP, or even get a big turbo to 300 BHP+??
The 4WD would be great with big power, as you said there isn'tmuch you can do to this to get bigger power like you can on the 1.8T. Can't you do a supercharger for this engine, I'm sure theres a guy in Scotland has one.

Keep up the build info, its very interesting and your english is very easy to understand.