thanks dealer, wheel bearings collapsed on motorway and i nearly got hurt

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Sadly it is things like this that damage 'our' rep.

Mind you i'm currently looking at a Toledo that I quoted for a cambelt a while back, he decided it was to expensive and took it to a local garage instead. I'm currently repairing various bits as the engine fell out due to mounting bolts being left loose.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Glad your OK, sounds like a total knightmare.

I wrote off a Golf GTI (3 years old :( ) after it had been in for a service. The garage changed the brakes and forgot to tell me (it was a lease/company car), came to a roundabout a little on the fun side, pressed the brakes and nothing happened. Went in to a bunch of trees at 60mph thinking f**k this is going to hurt, luckly only a graze where the airbag went off.

However, Really interested in what the stealer says!

I've lost faith in my local one who can't even give you the right list of parts for a cambelt change :(

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Glad you're ok, that sounds like a worst nightmare scenario for me. I've got a dodgy left rear wheel bearing at the moment and I'm not too keen on driving it around, but I have no choice as the garage are taking a while to detect where it's come from. Now they've finally discovered what's wrong and the part is on order, but I'm unsure about driving it too far because of this. Even more so now!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
contact the CAB and see if there is grounds for taking the to court. im sure indangering your life is.

i work for BMW and we have been taken to court for advising a customer on gearbox oil which lead to the gearbox seizing as it was the wrong oil used. turns out the customer had fitted the wrong box in the car. so we had advised him correctly against the original spec of the car.

my point is if they are willing to take us to court for that you have a good case. does the recipt you have mention the fact you suspect it is the wheel bearing?

Aimez

Glad you're ok, that sounds like a worst nightmare scenario for me. I've got a dodgy left rear wheel bearing at the moment and I'm not too keen on driving it around, but I have no choice as the garage are taking a while to detect where it's come from. Now they've finally discovered what's wrong and the part is on order, but I'm unsure about driving it too far because of this. Even more so now!

They let you take it away?! IF something is that dangerous we make customers sign a disclaimer!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I did wonder myself, but at no point was I told "don't drive it, it's unsafe". And I don't know enough about cars technically to be any the wiser.

Deleted member 13581

Is this the garage you bought the car from Iain? (i didnt want to mention names)

Do you know who inspected it? Surprised if it is as they are very thorough normally.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
well car was picked up yesterday morning, not heard a dicky bird from the dealer even just to say we have your car ( as it was an independent who picked it up)

So they've played into my hands, now the complaining is going to start letters gone off to delaer principal, and SEAT uk. i will not be having this car back now,

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
When you say picked up do you mean on a trailer or did they drive it, surely not !!!

they turned up tuesday at 8:30 am and it was taken away on the back of a low loader. I don;t want the car back, still no contact from them.