The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Also - does anyone know how to switch the radio off? I can turn the radio on fine, and find the station I want with the digital cockpit or main screen - but not turn it off. Any ideas?

Not switching the radio off, but it can easily be muted by either by depressing the left hand scrolling wheel on the steering wheel, or scrolling the volume to 0 using the same switch.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Long time reader, first time poster.

Got my Cupra Lux this month - loving it so far! Looks great and drives even better. Having an issue with the speakers though where there's an odd static-y noise coming from them after 10 minutes or so of driving. It's intermittent but almost always there once its started. It doesn't go off once I turn any music off through my phone or radio. Seems to change when I press the gas or brake which is odd. I can't seem to find any pattern of when or why it happens, but it always does.

My Cupra is a lease through leasing options - whats the best way of going about getting it fixed? Contact them or my local Seat dealership?

Cheers for any advice

Is it static for definitely from a speaker? And not your Soundacktor? As you say it changes with throttle input?

Mar 27, 2019
So I spent the first two weeks of the month with a Cupra 290, then the second two with a Copra. It was interesting and a little surprising driving them back to back, there was more difference than I thought.

The main difference of course is the gearbox. The 7 speed is a real upgrade. Usefully lower revs at a motorway cruise. Also, and I think this is the gearbox, the car feels noticeably quicker. More urgent and responsive in the midrange. I hear that the motors can vary in output, so it could be that, but my guess is the lower ratios do (as they are presumably supposed to) put that little bit of tow back that WSLP took away.

I also think the Cupra touches make the car feel more special. The copper badging lifts the whole car, and the Cupra start up screen and sill lighting are nice touches.

Over all I am absolutely loving the car. It reminds me of my long lost Evo 9 for the combination of pace and family friendliness. Not quite as quick of course, but much closer than you might think, especially in the dry, and so much more civilised.

So it will be a great daily driver, which is its role in my medium sized garage.

And why did I get two cars back to back, you ask? Because a few days before I was due to take delivery of the Copra the dealer called me to say it had been backed into and was in the panelbeaters...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
So I spent the first two weeks of the month with a Cupra 290, then the second two with a Copra. It was interesting and a little surprising driving them back to back, there was more difference than I thought.

The main difference of course is the gearbox. The 7 speed is a real upgrade. Usefully lower revs at a motorway cruise. Also, and I think this is the gearbox, the car feels noticeably quicker. More urgent and responsive in the midrange. I hear that the motors can vary in output, so it could be that, but my guess is the lower ratios do (as they are presumably supposed to) put that little bit of tow back that WSLP took away.

I also think the Cupra touches make the car feel more special. The copper badging lifts the whole car, and the Cupra start up screen and sill lighting are nice touches.

Over all I am absolutely loving the car. It reminds me of my long lost Evo 9 for the combination of pace and family friendliness. Not quite as quick of course, but much closer than you might think, especially in the dry, and so much more civilised.

So it will be a great daily driver, which is its role in my medium sized garage.

And why did I get two cars back to back, you ask? Because a few days before I was due to take delivery of the Copra the dealer called me to say it had been backed into and was in the panelbeaters...

Lovely opportunity! How do they compare sound wise?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hobbiniho

Jan 17, 2009
shetland/ Aberdeen
anybody get a "the infotainement system is switched off" message appearing in the clock screen even when it is actually on? easily solved by actually turning it off and back on again,but its really annoying

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
anybody get a "the infotainement system is switched off" message appearing in the clock screen even when it is actually on? easily solved by actually turning it off and back on again,but its really annoying

Happened to me once or twice. It seems to happen when I’ve got CarPlay going and just yank the phone out and turn car off. When it comes back on, gets a little confused.

Feb 3, 2019
Is it static for definitely from a speaker? And not your Soundacktor? As you say it changes with throttle input?

This I don't know. Occasionally the static-y noise comes from another speaker in the back left, but I most notice it from the driver side front speaker. It's terribly annoying and I have booked in with my local dealership.

The DSG is great I agree! Very responsive and barely any lag when you want to overtake. Very respectable MPG as well, I've managed up to 40 on a 40 mile motorway journey.

Mar 27, 2019
Lovely opportunity! How do they compare sound wise?

I couldn’t tell the difference. Both very low mileage cars so maybe they are still finding their voice?

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Yeah had mine on for a couple of months no drone whatsoever... loads of pops and bangs in the lower gears 1,2,3 between 3-4K in Cupra & gearbox in sport! DSG fart much more prominent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This!
I find engine sport mode and dsg sport mode also works well

I don’t drive on motorway in sport mode though. No point. I drive in full eco mode (via the individual profile)

Reactions: FINCH

Ryosaurus26

Oct 25, 2018
This!
I find engine sport mode and dsg sport mode also works well

I don’t drive on motorway in sport mode though. No point. I drive in full eco mode (via the individual profile)

I always go down to sport, into manual and in Cupra mode so I can always get the pops and bangs sometimes after a couple of mins taking it out of sport into drive then back into sport brings back more pops too as they seem to die down after a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I’m confused. So you lot whack the overall drive profile into Cupra, then pull the still back to nudge into sport? Or have I read this wrong :rolleyes:

I also ask as I can swear that when pulling the gear selector back, and giving it hard beans off the lights it pops and farts more violently, I think haha.

FINCH

Being Nosey
Mar 15, 2010
Aberdeen
I’m confused. So you lot whack the overall drive profile into Cupra, then pull the still back to nudge into sport? Or have I read this wrong :rolleyes:

I also ask as I can swear that when pulling the gear selector back, and giving it hard beans off the lights it pops and farts more violently, I think haha.
Don't quote me on it because I don't have my car yet but I believe putting it into cupra mode sets the engine and drivability and pulling the gear stick down puts the gearbox into sport mode which tightens everything up so it probably does feel nippier. someone will correct me if im wrong though haha

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018

No, not Cupra mode, just Sport mode. It doesn't put the sound actor into mental mode so you can actually hear the exhaust.

Reactions: bgb

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Don't quote me on it because I don't have my car yet but I believe putting it into cupra mode sets the engine and drivability and pulling the gear stick down puts the gearbox into sport mode which tightens everything up so it probably does feel nippier. someone will correct me if im wrong though haha
Gearbox automatically goes into Sport when you put the car in Cupra.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
@TheLuckys - have you perfected forcing the DSG fart on yours yet?

Is it only using manual mode that you can reliably create them? Changing at x000 revs?

My Cupra was loud on the overrun, and quiet on the DSG fart. It took a while to figure out it was making them as it sounds quite different from within the cabin.

I've been rolling in a 2018 R and this makes them more reliably and it sounds like the YouTube videos, but surprisingly I really have to be pushing to get a proper fart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
@TheLuckys - have you perfected forcing the DSG fart on yours yet?

Is it only using manual mode that you can reliably create them? Changing at x000 revs?

My Cupra was loud on the overrun, and quiet on the DSG fart. It took a while to figure out it was making them as it sounds quite different from within the cabin.

I've been rolling in a 2018 R and this makes them more reliably and it sounds like the YouTube videos, but surprisingly I really have to be pushing to get a proper fart.

Exactly my findings, you can get a quiet but relatively long fart when shifting at high rpm (5k+) at low load, or a louder but shorter fart a high load and high rpm.
Mine is now nearing 10k miles and it's still getting louder.

The farts (and pops&bangs) from outside the car are louder than they appear to be from the inside.

Maybe I'll make another exhaust video so we can compare.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Exactly my findings, you can get a quiet but relatively long fart when shifting at high rpm (5k+) at low load, or a louder but shorter fart a high load and high rpm.
Mine is now nearing 10k miles and it's still getting louder.

The farts (and pops&bangs) from outside the car are louder than they appear to be from the inside.

Maybe I'll make another exhaust video so we can compare.

To be honest 5k+ is pretty similar to the R I'm currently driving (if you want them to sound like they do on the YouTube videos)

You've hit 10k quick, I'm only on 2k.
Has yours developed any annoying rattles?
The only complaint I have is the sunroof which has developed a rattle.

I could tell from the pedestrians that the exhaust was quite loud from the outside