The 2019 Leon Copra 290 thread

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
You've hit 10k quick, I'm only on 2k.
Has yours developed any annoying rattles?
The only complaint I have is the sunroof which has developed a rattle.

I do hear the sunroof when going over big bumps at slow speeds, but I wouldn't call it a rattle. Other than that the car has no rattles or other weird noises.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
the dsg farts are there, you just have to give it some beans in Sport or Cupra mode

i also think (like above) that you cannot hear them from inside the cabin (even when Soundaktor is off)

Im gona get my go pro mounted on the weekend

The Leon Cupra has to be one of the worst cars ive owned for cabin noise though!

Reactions: Brooster89

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
The Leon Cupra has to be one of the worst cars ive owned for cabin noise though!

Yeah, it's the tires. Replace them with some actual performance tires like PS4s and the noise will be significantly reduced.

Reactions: bigup
Mar 3, 2019
Hello guys,

I think a have with my new 2019 Cupra the issue that the left headlight is mich darker then the right one?
I cannot show that with my smartphone camera it is not visible but it is there.
With darker I mean the color temperature (Calvin). Left looks more like white/a bit yellow and the right side white/blue (standard).

Does anyone else have or had the issue and knows if it makes sense to drive to the seat partner?
I hope they would exchange the legt headlight.

Regards
Manuel

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
Hello guys,

I think a have with my new 2019 Cupra the issue that the left headlight is mich darker then the right one?
I cannot show that with my smartphone camera it is not visible but it is there.
With darker I mean the color temperature (Calvin). Left looks more like white/a bit yellow and the right side white/blue (standard).

Does anyone else have or had the issue and knows if it makes sense to drive to the seat partner?
I hope they would exchange the legt headlight.

Regards
Manuel
Sounds like an issue for the dealer.

bigup

Mar 25, 2019
Manchester
Yeah, it's the tires. Replace them with some actual performance tires like PS4s and the noise will be significantly reduced.

Lease car so pointless changing tyres until they need changing unfortunately

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
@TheLuckys

Got her back this evening and went for a drive.
Consistent recognisable DSG farts.
Using paddles and changing at 5k +

The exhaust was very very vocal.

Nowhere near matches the tone of the R they now seem a world apart.

The R was extremely deeper in tone so much so that you couldn't hear the pops as crisply as in the Cupra.
The DSG bang was louder too but it was pre GPF car too on between 5-6k.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheLuckys

RCampbell1

Jan 8, 2017
UK
the dsg farts are there, you just have to give it some beans in Sport or Cupra mode

i also think (like above) that you cannot hear them from inside the cabin (even when Soundaktor is off)

Im gona get my go pro mounted on the weekend

Check out post number 13 in this thread, makes an appreciable difference

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/leon-cupra-2019-and-sound-level.451873

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
Does anybody have a high pitch whining noise from engine bay? When I opened the hood I located it on the left side of the engine bay but couldnt pinpoint before it disappeared. Its like a turbo noise, audible when idling and changing pitch, sounding like some worn out bearing on some cambelt auxilliary device like alternator. I will try to record it. Its similar to air injection pump noise, but I cant find the info whether my car has one. Usually heard on cold start, can be heard for a few minutes and then disappears completely. It doesnt happen every time I start the car. It is louder than engine in the cabin and can be heard outside also.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I couldn’t be happier with it to be honest! It’s exactly how I wanted it to be - quiet and comfortable and only loud under heavy throttle! There’s no noticeable increase in drone at motorway speeds either which is a bonus...not sure if this is cancelled out by the 7th gear or the GPF? After some miles the tone has also improved and the pops are much more of a crack and louder, but only in Cupra mode which is also perfect! I’ll try and get a decent video this weekend to give you an impression how it sounds - watch this space
That’s a very reassuring post, as I too would like a bit more loudness but not maybe so much when driving in comfort mode.
I have a Zaustworx res delete delivered and now very excited to have it fitted, can’t wait now

Skyscraper120

Feb 13, 2019
I am stock MY19 with GPF and I can get consistent loud farts in Manual/Sport. Went through an underpass and was very loud. Definitely gets louder the more miles you do. I’m currently on 1200 now but have been redlining it since about 500 miles (when the engine oil has been above 90C)

Cjm

Jun 14, 2019
Hey all been reading this thread for while and just wanted to give my thoughts.

Got my non-lux Nevada white 290 (lease) delivered about 4 weeks ago. Loving it would be an understatement! What an absolute beast! Scary fast! Done about 4.5k miles in it now.

Like others on here I was worried/disappointed with the exhaust due to these daft new filter things. It wouldn't pop or fart at all for a while. (0-500ish) That may have been my limited knowledge on how best to produce them tho! But as the miles racked up so did the sound! Once it hit about 2.5k I could really notice a difference! Now at 4.5k even in comfort mode it’s sounding much better! Getting some mega loud pops on overrun in the lower gears!

I have noticed a slight issue with the brakes tho! I often do a 400 mile trip and noticed each time the next morning the brakes seem a little stuck on when I move! Makes a pretty loud clunking sound as if they glued on to the disks! Anything to worry about? Or anyone else noticed this?

TheLuckys

Nov 26, 2018
I have noticed a slight issue with the brakes tho! I often do a 400 mile trip and noticed each time the next morning the brakes seem a little stuck on when I move! Makes a pretty loud clunking sound as if they glued on to the disks! Anything to worry about? Or anyone else noticed this?

Do you have the automatic parking brake on? If so that may cause this issue if you're driving away a bit too quickly. Move it from Park into Drive and give it just the tiniest bit of gas, then just let go. You'll hear the parking brake disengaging and you'll slowly start rolling. If you give it too much gas, or continue giving it gas the car will attempt to drive through its own parking brake.

If that's not it, check your discs for unusual marks or signs of wear. If all are looking good it doesn't sound like a major issue to me.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
@Cjm the brakes issue is common with cars utilising auto hold systems. It’s not so much an issue, more of a by product of rust/brake material build up and the car clamping down.

The clink you hear is either the brake pad surface binding to the disk slightly from hardened friction material, or if you’ve used the car in rain or washed it, a small lip almost formed around the pad so when you drive this clunk is what you’ll hear as the pad breaks away. Will also sound like you have a nail in your tyre as the pad clips it for a few meters :yes:

Reactions: Legojon
Jun 14, 2019
To start off, this is the spec on my Copra 290 DSG:
  • Magnetic Tech
  • Black edition (includes Carbon R spoiler)
  • Bucket seats
  • Sunroof
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Keyless entry
  • Wireless phone charger
Here's a video of the car, detailing the carbon R spoiler and some revs, drive-by's, pops, bangs and all those nice things.

There was some rumour about the Copra 290 being unable to produce DSG farts, because of changes made for WLTP. This is why I set out to experiment with the car to see if that was actually true. As it turns out, it farts just fine, it's just a bit lower pitched than the older Cupra models, and maybe doesn't occur quite as much. I've attached an audio clip of several farts (and some pops and bangs) below.

You can get the car to fart pretty easily:
  1. Put the gearbox in manual mode
  2. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load
Notice that there's no "hot exhaust" or "Sport/Cupra mode" requirements, although those will give you better farts. So to get the best farts:
  1. Make sure the the engine is nice and warm (oil temp >95C)
  2. Get into Sport or Cupra mode (haven't noticed a difference between those modes)
  3. Put the gearbox in manual
  4. Shift at a high rpm (>4k) under low load, the higher the rpm the better the fart
Under higher load the gearbox shift speed increases quite a bit, which may be causing the absence of farts (or at least making them inaudible from the cabin).

Nice!
Own the same thing ;)
Thanks for sharing...

JonnyG

Mar 18, 2019
As above, its quite normal on autohold/electric parking brakes these days, especially if damp when when parking up or selecting reverse as the first movement after starting up.

Jun 13, 2019
Hello, I'm getting my new cupra Nevada white full option[B)] on friday. My question is : did you change oil and oil filter after 3.5k-5k km? I've been told by dealer that I should do it, other one said no, why?
I'm very exicted can't wait to fire it up. I'm also surprised after test drive how comfortable leon cupra is, I drove it on roads far from being perfect, and just wow.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Hello, I'm getting my new cupra Nevada white full option[B)] on friday. My question is : did you change oil and oil filter after 3.5k-5k km? I've been told by dealer that I should do it, other one said no, why?
I'm very exicted can't wait to fire it up. I'm also surprised after test drive how comfortable leon cupra is, I drove it on roads far from being perfect, and just wow.
No need to change the oil that early at all

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members