Track rods & ARB drop links

twig

May 5, 2008
Guildford
My car had an unfortunate accident a couple of weeks ago :( and now requires 1 new track rod, 2 track rod ends and 1 ARB drop link (although I'll probably just have done with it and do both while I'm there).

If it's not going to be too pricey I'll buy new. Otherwise, I'll try to get the parts at the scrappy. I've had a look on Vagcat for part numbers but they son't seem to tie in to what GSF have on their site. Is that normal? and do bushes etc. usually come with the rods/drop links or do you have to buy them extra?

Cheers,
Rob

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
The little rubber bushes are normally included, but it's worth asking the question when you buy.

In my experience the track rods should be new items, as I ended up taking to mine with an angle grinder last time! Not too pricey, budget ~£10 each for those.

raddo-dave

Aug 7, 2007
blackburn
the drop links are easy to do, and if u struggle to get the track rod ends off heat them up with a blow torch or soak them in wd40 for a while before u start

twig

May 5, 2008
Guildford
cheers. had a look at the track rods last night and they're actually pretty easy to get off, surprisingly. The ARB links, however, seem to be tough as old boots so have soaked them last night and will have another look tonight. Probably not going to properly tackle it 'til the weekend when it's a bit easier to see.

Also, on closer inspection, it looks like the ARB itself is bent (what I thought was just a link turned out to be part of the bar). What's the best way to get hold of one? I was thinking scrappers.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
stu thats a nice corby, not too keen on the stumpys, although i have a set sat at home lol, what they called need to sell em....

nice wheels, proper want some!!!, think i prefer the 5 spoke star ones.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
The drop links on the Ibiza are slightly offset, if you get them from the factors they give you Mk2 golf ones that are not offset.... to get the right one's I had to go to Seat or VW!

Stu were them mirrors off Roly? I asked about them but was too slow lol..... loving the alloys to, wondered when someone will do it on here! Wanna get my ronals done for track.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.