Tyre Choices

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
No you wouldnt as the R888's are track tyres and require sufficient heat to generate grip which it wont do on the drag strip hence would have less grip. ;)

I've used alot of tyres and dont mind trying out new stuff... currently have Hankook EVO V12 (just released) and they are superb - also wiping the floor with all competitors in german tyre tests :)
It was a very quiet day, the guys was spinning his tyres big time before the start and he'd had loads of runs back to back so his tyres were up to temperature.
R888 are not just track tyres, there road legal aswell.

Anyway good to hear of another good tyre coming into the fold
How did they do against the F1's in the wet handling?

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
It was a very quiet day, the guys was spinning his tyres big time before the start and he'd had loads of runs back to back so his tyres were up to temperature.
R888 are not just track tyres, there road legal aswell.

Anyway good to hear of another good tyre coming into the fold
How did they do against the F1's in the wet handling?

R888's take 2-3 laps on a track to give better grip than a normal road tyre - I know as I have used them. Whilst they are road legal I'd never use them on the road ... in the wet / cold they are terrible and due to the profile / compound of the tyre they tramline like pigs.

They beat F1's ... :) - thats the new version too.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/press/press_news_view.asp?pid=220&pn=3&selSort=&txtKeyword=

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
They seem good, strange they were compared to the Good Year excellence and not F1's in one test.
Also another test rated the F1's as a 1 when these Hancook tyres got a 10 for wet handling, think this test must have been the excellence aswell.
Also strange the same two other reviews didn't test the Dunlop Max TT

Last edited:

Pat J

Detailing obsessive
Jun 12, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Hopefully my new wheels will be here in the next two days :drool: and they are going to be fitted with Toyo Proxes that I got from Camskills as they were on offer if you bought 4 :happy: as soon as they're sorted I can get the wheels on the car and post pics. [B)]

Super_Cupra_7

Mar 12, 2007
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hey,

I have tried a few good makes of tyres in the 18 or so months I have had my car as I do about 30000 miles per year.

I would have to rate the Goodyears the best, followed by Falkens then Toyo's 3rd.

All tyres are very good, but I think I'll be sticking to the Falkens for the time being.
Can't complain at 60 odd quid per tyre!

Was reading some good reviews about the new Goodyears that are out, so may have to save up some extra pennies to invest.

Cheers,

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Just had 4 new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics fitted at £110 per corner, all in :)

The fronts replaced worn out Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's, the rears replaced F1 GSD3's, which still had good tread depth, but were 'bouncing' a bit on smooth roads, and were quite noisy... I guess I had the "50p wear" thing happening. :(

Obviously can't really comment on the Asymmetrics just yet as I've only driven 3 miles back home - and comparing them to worn out tyres is a bit daft :blink:

Robb1990

May 14, 2008
Ive recently got some good years on the front to replace the poop dunlops, probably the fact that they were at the end of thier life, but they were pooor in the wet, struggled to set off without wheel spin. These good years are exellent though, wet or dry, lots of grip, only trouble is ive got a dunlop and budget on the rear, so it makes for some 'interesting' handling characteristics. No under steer........... Massive rear slide!

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
When i baught my LCR it also was fitted with cheap crap tyres RUNWAY Enduro 916!! they are rubbish!! cant wait to wear them down and put the goodyear eagle F1's back on it. Goodyears are the best and very reasonably priced

smithygcupra

Cymru am Byth
May 25, 2008
Newport
Ive got me self michelin pilots all round..... and id have to say that they are the best tyre ive had... the grip in the dry is very good and they are exceptional in the wet.... back in my honda days i always used pirelli and thought they were good and weared quite well... i went through a set of toyo's too... excellent in the dry but shocking in the wet.... iv done about 5 k on these michelins and they re hardly worn.... could get bout 10k more out of them at least id reckon....the michelins offer great grip in the dry/wet and wear very well too... o they are an excellent tyre... not too epensive either

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Yup, I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 2's
They are fantastic in all conditions when cold. Only slightly worse than GSD'3 in the wet

munkimafia

May 20, 2008
Has anyone used Event-Tyres?

I need to get a full set of 4 tyres, and am leaning towards the F1 Asymmetricals.

Event have them for £445 fitted, how's that for a deal?

Cheers

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
Has anyone used Event-Tyres?

I need to get a full set of 4 tyres, and am leaning towards the F1 Asymmetricals.

Event have them for £445 fitted, how's that for a deal?

Cheers

I used them and they are very good. The trick is to specify a time otherwise you sit around like a lemon all day.

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
+1 for Event-Tyres.
Used them a few times. Specified a timeslot and they came dead on. Driver gave me a ring to let me know when he was on his way to me.

I got F1 Asymetrics from them too.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.