Unfinished road = Damaged bumper, Need advice?

cupraNCS

Apr 9, 2007
Port Glasgow
Need some advice guys about putting in a claim for damages to my front bumper and how to go about it. as you will see from the pics the peice of the road wich is unfinished that has done the damage is not marked with any warning signs or ramp signs that you would normally expect, and before anyone says i know there is 2 cones there but a cones just seem to be marking the entrance to the street.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
looks like an unadopted road - therefore private.

Did you have permission to drive down there from the land owner?

the cones might be deemed warning enough (given that it's private land)

How quickly did you drive to do the damage?

just taking the devils advocate opinion there.....

beattie17

Apr 12, 2005
Perth
Which way were you going? How did you not see that?

Normally they have signs saying ramp ahead etc, so you might have a case

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Im guessing you were going a bit fast in the first place mate cos if you were going over it gingerly you would have heard/felt when it first scraped on the floor and gone no further until you got out an had a good look at it. A council will act in the same way an insurance company would which is not pay out as they'l say the cones were put there to warn you of it in the first place so you went over it at your own risk

cupraNCS

Apr 9, 2007
Port Glasgow
Contacted my local council today but they have not yet taken over the road yet, but the woman i spoke to said there should have been caution signs or ramp signs. I then contacted the company who are building the houses and they said to send them a letter describing what happened and also the pictures that i took.

J4M3S

Yes it is and No you cant
Jul 17, 2007
Belfast
www.s44gan.com
yes this happened to me in one of my older cars. i hit a pot hole that hadnt been filled in, i took pics of the hole and my car and sent it to the roads service and they paid for the bumper repair.

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
mate take the cones away and take pics! Then they cant say anything about the cones.

Do you work at inchinnan mate? i think i have seen your car parked.

I work there at the rolls royce

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.