Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell

I will install it Tom. Will see if it goes smooth

Regards
Take a backup copy of the card as I said before. You are likely to require the overall.nds file as per the work around unless the previous owner had fiddled with the firmware in one way or another. What we know is your current release works so that specific file is matched to your unit atleast.

Step 9 of the Overview tab is your current working one will be copied at that stage.... not the one that was on the car when first imported. Rest of the region adjustments you make.

I'm just surprised you didn't have to use the very original one, so if it has reset itself it will be the current one before this upgrade. That's where I put it down to either the firmware fiddled with via a previous owner or because you did the region change.

edit

Why your previous update worked may lay in this text from the Spanish Leon site:

Regarding the Maps for the MIB2 STD, I have made the test of copying the maps downloaded from the EU1 DE 1730, but I think they have returned to do the protection of the mapcare or something similar, since with the maps of the 1520 copied in an original Seat SD and with the mib2-std h50 unit with the SWAP / FEC of the unlimited updates maps (0740000e) works fine, but with the new ones it indicates the navigation database not available, maybe I have done something wrong, but as I say when I re-copy those of the 1520 it has worked again. I will keep looking.

The last release 1520 didn't impose Mapcare which is why it worked. If you find it doesn't work with the working overall.nds file then step back to the original European one and if you have lost that you can get year dot of the Seat one by following the lost / missing SD card section in the resource link (Overview). I pass on what happens if you take the 1520 one and use that. If it works it works, if not step back to what you had on the original card with the car.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
More screens of 192 working on retrofit mib2 high. From Spanish site. Appears you dont edit the part number in and all navigation FeCs for other VAG models to FF might be in the unit.

Conversation riddled in this thread. Whether they used mib tool, not sure....

Edit.

1. I asked, they didn't. So assume one of those mega file firmware mods you see was used. Expect retrofitter will get the appropriate knowledge in due time as to what works and what doesn't.

2. I asked for Jose to list the FeCs they have installed. These are the navigation lifetime ones ending in ff which they had:
  • 023000ff
  • 033000ff
  • 063000ff
  • 073000ff
My translater Spanish conversation is over there. Missing from the list is VW and Skoda since they deleted Mapcare in 2015 or so. I believe it slips in under the radar as either an Audi, Bentley or Porsche since VAG hasn't done the dirty on them as Mapcare is still supported. So those FeCs need to be in plus the Seat one for historic maps and whatever exception processing is. Reckon Jose's is probably one of those Mega modded ones. Least I think that is what is going on.

Screenshot_20210602-122634.png

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
ahh shame about the filesize getting too big for the 16gb card.

Is there no way to manually delete a few countries somehow off the sdcard and edit some files so it fits ?

If not i think i'll wait for the smaller bundles to appear
I did read on here

I may have found a solution for my Amudsen MIB2 with 16gb card for the following version:
https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z (Complete Europe MIB2 and MIB2.5)

I have deleted all folders in the / SDS / subfolder except for "DE", assuming that these are only the "sounds" of the speech output of the individual languages, but I have not yet been able to verify this because I do not live close to the border ....

Basically they delete the language files except German. That would be ditto for English. But unlike the following post you can put it on demo mode... no need to drive it across borders.

Using this...

To test the upload, a simulated drive can be taken by using the advanced menu of the infotainment unit. Put the unit into demo mode. Enter the cars location close to a safety camera by street address, then navigate a route that goes through it. You should hear the warbles if you have toggled them on. You can check the warning distance or leave it for a real drive. Demo mode can be toggled back off again.

In your case no safety camera. The test I use for the Poi upload...

Mind you if it works, it's only a temporary fix till it out grows the card again.

Haven't tested it thou.

Reactions: Slickric21

KV100

May 14, 2019
Just a thought:unsure: Would it be possible to alter the coding on the car using for example "car scanner" so the sat nav will accept any card? I know nothing at all about these things so ill leave it to you to think about.

Tell

Staff member
Just a thought:unsure: Would it be possible to alter the coding on the car using for example "car scanner" so the sat nav will accept any card? I know nothing at all about these things so ill leave it to you to think about.
For mib2 standard they use the CID.

It's a static part of the cards memory that normally can't be changed. The cards are programmed with a VAG CID which any VAG unit whether mib1 or mib2 knows is an authorised VAG card.

There are some cards produced which have re-programmable CIDs on them, one was a production run of Samsung Evo cards which went on for a year or so a few years back. Windows can't access the CID but Linux can although the SD writer needs to be on the motherboard for this to work. Mac's can. Laptops with the SD reader / writer connected directly can be used.

Exciter (Stefan) the guy behind the workaround also alluded to having tried this method and having it working. He used the code from Richard Burton.

I replicated that here for the hell of it. You clone the CID onto the card.

The downside is the Samsung Gold card as they are referred to cost about the same as a Skoda 32gb card but with the hassle.

An alternative I've seen retrofitters selling is a patch for the unit. That then breaks the link between having a valid Vag CID card so any card can be used. That's more invasive.

Suspect 32gb VAG cards will be coming back to being more easily purchased now you need them if you wish to drive the breadth of Europe. Alternatively you can operate with a two 16gb card system and swap cards on the journey. That's do able. Or delete some of the language files talked about round here... havent tested that, but is probably a temporary solution till the file out grows 16gb again.

Last edited:

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I did read on here

I may have found a solution for my Amudsen MIB2 with 16gb card for the following version:
https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z (Complete Europe MIB2 and MIB2.5)

I have deleted all folders in the / SDS / subfolder except for "DE", assuming that these are only the "sounds" of the speech output of the individual languages, but I have not yet been able to verify this because I do not live close to the border ....

Basically they delete the language files except German. That would be ditto for English. But unlike the following post you can put it on demo mode... no need to drive it across borders.

Using this...

To test the upload, a simulated drive can be taken by using the advanced menu of the infotainment unit. Put the unit into demo mode. Enter the cars location close to a safety camera by street address, then navigate a route that goes through it. You should hear the warbles if you have toggled them on. You can check the warning distance or leave it for a real drive. Demo mode can be toggled back off again.

In your case no safety camera. The test I use for the Poi upload...

Mind you if it works, it's only a temporary fix till it out grows the card again.

Haven't tested it thou.
Cheers Tell.
I’ll try and test this out at some point and report back.
It will be end of next week now thou as I’m away on my jollies at the moment.

(As an interim measure I’m just using one of the smaller variants of the EU maps that doesn’t include Spain/Portugal)

Reactions: Tell

Loai548

May 14, 2021
Take a backup copy of the card as I said before. You are likely to require the overall.nds file as per the work around unless the previous owner had fiddled with the firmware in one way or another. What we know is your current release works so that specific file is matched to your unit atleast.

Step 9 of the Overview tab is your current working one will be copied at that stage.... not the one that was on the car when first imported. Rest of the region adjustments you make.

I'm just surprised you didn't have to use the very original one, so if it has reset itself it will be the current one before this upgrade. That's where I put it down to either the firmware fiddled with via a previous owner or because you did the region change.

edit

Why your previous update worked may lay in this text from the Spanish Leon site:

Regarding the Maps for the MIB2 STD, I have made the test of copying the maps downloaded from the EU1 DE 1730, but I think they have returned to do the protection of the mapcare or something similar, since with the maps of the 1520 copied in an original Seat SD and with the mib2-std h50 unit with the SWAP / FEC of the unlimited updates maps (0740000e) works fine, but with the new ones it indicates the navigation database not available, maybe I have done something wrong, but as I say when I re-copy those of the 1520 it has worked again. I will keep looking.

The last release 1520 didn't impose Mapcare which is why it worked. If you find it doesn't work with the working overall.nds file then step back to the original European one and if you have lost that you can get year dot of the Seat one by following the lost / missing SD card section in the resource link (Overview). I pass on what happens if you take the 1520 one and use that. If it works it works, if not step back to what you had on the original card with the car.
Hi

Sorry i was too busy these days. I installed the new update today. As previous update it was smooth and easy. The only thing i did as the previous one, is i changed the name of Israel folder from 21 to 00 then reinserted the SD and bingo.

Here is the version installed:

I didnt see any changes in this cersion, however, i will check some roads that was not in the maps in prevoius version, if they updated and appears in this version or not.

Thanks Tell.

Attachments

• 20210604_132242.jpg
    20210604_132242.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Hi

Sorry i was too busy these days. I installed the new update today. As previous update it was smooth and easy. The only thing i did as the previous one, is i changed the name of Israel folder from 21 to 00 then reinserted the SD and bingo.

Here is the version installed:

I didnt see any changes in this cersion, however, i will check some roads that was not in the maps in prevoius version, if they updated and appears in this version or not.

Thanks Tell.
You can always tell TomTom about missing roads. They do get put in if they pass validation. I tell them to look at OS LA planning maps or published plans where the plan agrees with the overhead image. Our postcode and house numbering also reveals layout. You can do that on Here Maps as well. Both reporting links on the resource / overview tab. If you give them the evidence to check then they put the changes thru and they do appear in time.

Reactions: Loai548

Tell

Staff member
Cheers Tell.
I’ll try and test this out at some point and report back.
It will be end of next week now thou as I’m away on my jollies at the moment.

(As an interim measure I’m just using one of the smaller variants of the EU maps that doesn’t include Spain/Portugal)
16GB Card solution for All European Map

I just tested it... yes you can delete the unused language files. About 1GB of the memory goes to them but if you delete everything else except GB it works... did a test route from France. So hence it does fit on the 16GB card with this mod. I noticed yesterday other people on European boards were saying.

For non English speakers you still need to check that it works using the demo mode

For GB language across Europe you just need GB and the meta_info.db in the folder.

maps\00\sds

That's a fix till it out grows the card again.

Will edit in above and in the resource.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slickric21

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Hello Gents,

I facing same problem as most of us - 16GB orginal navi card and way more data to copy.

I'm leaving in poland and i have three options.

Orginal Seat - 6P0919866ZC
Orginal VW - 5NA919866ZC
Orginal Skoda - 6P0919866ZC

I spoke with Seller and he told me that he checked all three SD cards and on Seat & Skoda SD cards you can't see any files, On VW you can.

All maps are for 2021.

My question is which to chose? As I understood last few pages and description of @Tell it's doesn't matter what is on card, the most important is CID.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Downloading maps from links on previous pages
2. unpack them
3. From old 16 GB car copy overall.nds and product.nds
4. Delete (format?) new card (for example Seat one), because we will not broke CID
5. Copy new, previosuly unzped maps.
6. Copy overlall.nds and product.nds to folders
7. Should work?

Tell

Staff member
Hello Gents,

I facing same problem as most of us - 16GB orginal navi card and way more data to copy.

I'm leaving in poland and i have three options.

Orginal Seat - 6P0919866ZC
Orginal VW - 5NA919866ZC
Orginal Skoda - 6P0919866ZC

I spoke with Seller and he told me that he checked all three SD cards and on Seat & Skoda SD cards you can't see any files, On VW you can.

All maps are for 2021.

My question is which to chose? As I understood last few pages and description of @Tell it's doesn't matter what is on card, the most important is CID.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:
1. Downloading maps from links on previous pages
2. unpack them
3. From old 16 GB car copy overall.nds and product.nds
4. Delete (format?) new card (for example Seat one), because we will not broke CID
5. Copy new, previosuly unzped maps.
6. Copy overlall.nds and product.nds to folders
7. Should work?

All of the 1730 downloads are the same. Pick the one that's the fasts, Skoda can be slows either VW or Seat.

If you want all of Europe you can delete all the language files except your country (do that on the unzipped copy on your hard drive). That's covered in the resource or if you are happy with a zoned release just use that. Trimming out unwanted language files is only if you fancy driving across Europe which probably isn't any time soon.

That's in this text:

》》
June 2021 the All European map out grew 16GB current short term solution if you require all of Europe on the card:

For GB language across Europe you just need GB and the meta_info.db in the folder:

maps\00\sds

That's a fix till it out grows the card again. Other languages pick your plate and delete the rest except meta_info.db
《《

I would keep clear of that unless you deem the published European zoned aren't workable for you.

On 3. You don't need to copy out the product.nds only just the one overall.nds. It's if you have an export car or import car to the rest of the world or Europe and it isn't a Seat where more bloated instructions are required which are in the resource that pick up other files.

Take a copy of the SD card then follow this section of the resource

》》
Workaround

Using a PC or a MAC ?

PC: 7 Zip is the preferred VW tool, other unzip tool including those built into Windows, can cause difficulties.

7 zip can be obtained from

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

MAC: VW instructions

"ATTENTION

If the map update is performed using the Apple® OS X operating system you may find that
Discover Media does not recognise the map material or displays it incorrectly. This is due to
a lack of compatibility between the “7 zip” program and the OS-X operating system. In
addition, the OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on
external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping
program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files."

If a MAC is used CleanMyDrive is run against the SD card after the maps are copied across to the SD card.

Having identified which unzipping tool is required and special Mac SD card cleaning required... free to proceed.

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation

The unit should then boot up into navigation. Note it does take a little longer first time round. If it refuses to boot up, press the volume button forcing a reboot, hold down until the unit reboots. If this fails it will be issues on the overall.nds file / copy issues. Revisit the process. Failing this restore the back up.

You will also need to pick up any POIs that you show on the screen since these will be dropped after a map update. Petrol stations, parking location etc.

Do not format the card in anything other than Fat32. The unit runs QNX so will not correctly see the SD card if it is not in Fat32. The CID is not deleted in a format that is outside of the area that can be addressed.
《《

On 9. If you pick other files in that directory it won't work. Just the overall.nds file.

Current downloads are these, pick your zone or all Europe and whether VW or Seat servers - The choice is yours:

Reactions: G_mac86

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation
So as i can understand.

1. I can buy Seat 6P0919866ZC which is for sure 32GB.
2. Format it using FAT32.
3. Copy news data from unzipped folder (https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUAS/EU_AS_STD_1730.zip)
4. From my 16 GB card copy overall.nds and it will work?

Attachments

• Mapa-SEAT-V14-2022-IBIZA-LEON-TOLEDO-ATECA-ARONA.jpg
    Mapa-SEAT-V14-2022-IBIZA-LEON-TOLEDO-ATECA-ARONA.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 114

Tell

Staff member
So as i can understand.

1. I can buy Seat 6P0919866ZC which is for sure 32GB.
2. Format it using FAT32.
3. Copy news data from unzipped folder (https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUAS/EU_AS_STD_1730.zip)
4. From my 16 GB card copy overall.nds and it will work?
If it's a proper genuine rewritable VAG card. If it was from a dodgy seller the issue would be how good the card was.

Other than that you treat it as the 32gb Skoda card covered in the resource, your steps above. All VAG cards are interchangeable and the cloned CID ones from wobbly sellers should be the same apart from durability.

I did note there are a fare few sellers now listed. You have to judge whether they are selling the real thing. The ones last year were all made in Germany as per the photo of the back above, so I got what German Skoda boards were getting and talking about.

Reactions: Lord_Nikkon

Tell

Staff member
You won't have a problem as long as it's a genuine navigation 32gb card.

At some stage the all European map may out grow the 16gb file with the language fix but may be not in the life of the updates. Depends whether TomTom finds a lot more additional material to put on their maps which are used in the mib2 standard. That slowly increases each year. Zoning Europe was a fix for that which they introduced a few years back. It took a few years extra to break the 16gb download for all Europe, but that deletion of language folders not used gets some extra time.... possibly the fours years that VAG will still release mib2 updates.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
This is good question to which future will bring answers. I will check how this card (32GB) will react. According to seller is original. He has really lot of positive comments so i believe that it will be fine. People form polish Ateca and Leon forums are really interested in this my tiny project, which I based on your experience.

For now removing language packs is good workaround but only for now. I compare old and newest package size and the growing around 500MB a year. For me removing all other languages beside polish save around 644MB, so it will be enough place for one more major build. That's why i want to test 32GB card solution. My parents has T-Roc and no AA (they forgot to chose it) and current maps are pretty crucial for them,

Thanks a lot @Tell !!!!!!

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Hi guys,

My new 32GB SD card came and SD marked as 6P0919866ZC has map version 1610. Worked since first moment and i used it as my new "overall.NDS" source.

I noticed that all new cards for Seat & Skoda don't have MBR so when you will connect them to PC DO NOT FORMAT THEM!!! Older or more advanced users know very well hopw to fix MBR for FAT32 directly from CMD. For those who are not fell to well in command line, you can download free MiniTool Partition Wizard, put SD to reader, select in software memory card, right click, "Check File System", Check & fix detected errors". After few second you will see files on SD card. This fix will not interrupt and functionality of Navi and will not corrupt data.

Next you just need to follow great instruction of @Tell

My memory card cost me 169zł in Poland which is around 38euro. I had shipment for free. My seller also can ship cards anywhere in EU for around 5euro.

Reactions: Walone and Tell

Tell

Staff member
I did hear from one poster here about a problem 32gb Skoda card they bought second hand from someone else... perhaps that was their problem.... problem with things second hand you dont know where they have been. Suspect that had been in a Mac previously.

That feels like the old chkdsk /f command 😉

I've PMed the person in case of that. Had wondered whether it was left in the sun or mishandled with static electricity. Like be carefull when handling SD cards, always earth yourself etc. Unless you grab the pins probably ok.

Was your card a Swissbit card printed on the reverse... that was mine and ones obtained by the German Skoda board last year. Mine was delivered from the UK which felt like the real think. The sort dealers have in their bottom draw and dish out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-181529.png
    Screenshot_20210525-181529.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,821
Last edited:

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Second hand items always bring risk. My card was original for sure or it's amazing copy with CID made in correct place.

Thew most important it's working and i will jump to parents car (VW) and made the same. I cna always use AA but parent don't and better for everyone if my mom will not lost here way :p

Reactions: Walone and Tell
Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists