Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Tell

Staff member
If it's a genuine Skoda 32GB it will. Mine was made in Germany but I did import it before Brexit and the caper that would exist now on imports.

Was sold as 32GB Version 2020 Skoda Gen 2 MIB2 (Amundsen 2) Card Sat Nav SD Navigation Map UK. £39 at the time, postage free February 2020. It had an item number 143469631943. It's the part number 5L0 051 236BG. That specifies it. I see there are a couple on Amazon.

Reckon BR is six months on from BG.

Reading around I see people were flogging cloned cards, the Evo one. I did a post at the start of last year on making your own. In the thread. It's what Stefan the author of the work around did but didn't provide the details too well of how. Much easier to buy a Skoda one. The Samsung Evo card I had to import in as well. Only a specific manufacturing run allowed you to do that. Need Linux and the SD writer plugged directly into the motherboard.

Here's the genuine thing.

Screenshot_20210525-181514.png
Screenshot_20210525-181529.png

& for those that like a challenge:

Last edited:

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for that Tell. Yeah making your own looks a bit of a challege.

I don’t think the cards from these Uk sellers are genuine, the fact they can make a 32gb for me on demand implies they are clones.

This is the one of the items I’ve heard back from the seller and he states he can make a working 32gb card no problem, just buy the card in the link and then send him a message and he sends you 32gb card.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Thanks for that Tell. Yeah making your own looks a bit of a challege.

I don’t think the cards from these Uk sellers are genuine, the fact they can make a 32gb for me on demand implies they are clones.

This is the one of the items I’ve heard back from the seller and he states he can make a working 32gb card no problem, just buy the card in the link and then send him a message and he sends you 32gb card.
I did wonder whether Skoda cards were like the Evo cards. Pass on that. It's the memory where the CID is stored has to be rewritable. I did Google the Swissbit on the back of the card once....

The genuine cards are 5L0 051 236BG which is what mine is Europe 1 CW 26 2019 (later is what is on it, BG denotes the card size). 5L0 051 236BR CW45 2020.

The Swissbit manufactured cards were the ones that the German Skoda forum were getting last year, commenting on they were good, Made in Germany, BG release.

The other way if driving across Europe is to buy two 16gb cards and just swap yourself when crossing into the other area. Put the latest release for the boundary of interest. Destinations and user POIs are held in the unit, not the card.

Loai548

May 14, 2021
1730 release for the standard navigation system.

2021-22 maps all Europe

Seat server:

https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUAS/EU_AS_STD_1730.zip

VW Servers:

https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z

Thanks to the German Ateca forum eagle eyes.

Normal success picture using the Seat download:

View attachment 24674
----

DON'T delete the SD card until you have taken a copy.

DON'T bother if you haven't got a 32GB VAG Map card the all Europe map won't fit. That day of reckoning for the all European map to fit on a 16gb card has occurred.

You need the workaround see the Overview tab at the top if not familiar with the process. (credit the workaround to Stefan). The overall.nds trick.

Just buy the Skoda 32gb map card to get all of Europe on it or just wait till a smaller zone is released.

I've used a 32 GB Skoda map card. Just buy the cheapest from your favourite E store. Mine is a 2019...

(the Seat European image takes up 16,523,067 and fiddling with the allocation unit size didn't help on the Seat 16gb card, still didn't fit with 4096 allocation size, has to be Fat 32 in anycase)

----

For 16GB SD card variants
Variant 1 Scope
: Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom
https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EU1/EU1_STD_1730.zip

Variant 5 Scope: Andorra, Belgium, Germany, France, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta * , Monaco, Netherlands, Austria, San Marino, Switzerland, Vatican City, United Kingdom
https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUDL2/EU_DL2_STD_1730.zip

Variant6 Scope: Andorra, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom https://seatmapdownloads.akamaized.net/EUDL3/EU_DL3_STD_1730.zip

----

Same but VW links (Will prettyfi later from German Skoda forum site, matching Seat one are out will add links and maps and text later)

Europe variant / Bundle1 (32GB SD card)
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z

ECE1 / VW variant1 / Bundle2
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/ vw-maps / DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1730_V14.7z

ECE2 / VW Variant2 / Bundle3
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU2_1720_V14.7z

ECE3 / VW Variant3 / Bundle4
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU3_1720_V14.7z

ECE4 / VW Variant4 / Bundle5
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU -DL1_1720_V14.7z

ECE5 / VW Variant5 / Bundle6
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-DL2_1730_V14.7z

ECE6 / VW Variant6 / Bundle7
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com /vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-DL3_1730_V14.7z

ECE7 / VW Variant7 / Bundle8
https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-DL4_1720_V14.7z
Dear friend,
What about other regions? Is there a link for Israel Map?

Regards

Tell

Staff member
On the current Mib2 high 192 release it seems we need this to make it work on a retrofit

"Warning: if you don't have MapCare, this will not work with your unit. My unit has a modified ExceptionList / Patched IFS, so it will take whatever map I throw at it. But be aware: you need the adequate FECs, otherwise this will not work on your Seat device."

Wonder if that's our Seat @Chillout or another... so hope isn't lost if it can be operatized into a retrofit solution product if Seat have done the dirty on their mib2 high user base. Perhaps might have to nag our favourite retrofitter when it becomes clear that the current release wasn't just a mistake.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
On the current Mib2 high 192 release it seems we need this to make it work on a retrofit

"Warning: if you don't have MapCare, this will not work with your unit. My unit has a modified ExceptionList / Patched IFS, so it will take whatever map I throw at it. But be aware: you need the adequate FECs, otherwise this will not work on your Seat device."

Wonder if that's our Seat @Chillout or another... so hope isn't lost if it can be operatized into a retrofit solution product if Seat have done the dirty on their mib2 high user base. Perhaps might have to nag our favourite retrofitter when it becomes clear that the current release wasn't just a mistake.

Hah, yes that's me :)
Seat did screw us over, but...... it's not too hard to patch the unit for free, with More Incredible Bash (https://bit.ly/38wZToK) and then all is possible :)

The update does not have any mapstyles for Seat anymore, which is pretty sad.... but with a patched IFS and the right FECs, you'll be able to use it.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Hah, yes that's me :)
Seat did screw us over, but...... it's not too hard to patch the unit for free, with More Incredible Bash (https://bit.ly/38wZToK) and then all is possible :)

The update does not have any mapstyles for Seat anymore, which is pretty sad.... but with a patched IFS and the right FECs, you'll be able to use it.
I thought there was only one Chillout in the world so it would be you.

What skill level is required ?.

If you already have patched Seat range FeCs to 2026 or so is it simple to install the Toolbox and toggle a switch for the patched IFS or should we be running off to our retrofitters. I have been prep-ping one with your Russian post you made. In those circles it was thought it was the Seat navigation FeC missing rather than the part number missing. Is it patched IFS and continue to use Seat FeCs or do we swap to VW navigation FeCs ?.

Personally I'm not wanting to kill my Mib2 High myself having messed it up for a month in 2017. Prefer someone else to do that and did themselves out :love:.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
There is very very basic skill level required. Just make sure to read the readme and you'll be fine.
I prefer to avoid any retrofitters, as they charge too much money for stuff like this (while they didn't really any of the hard work that was involved into creating the actual patches). The M.I.B. (More Incredible Bash) is a toolkit that can just patch your unit to any FECs you want. The developers aim to be as user friendly as possible.

Tell

Staff member
There is very very basic skill level required. Just make sure to read the readme and you'll be fine.
I prefer to avoid any retrofitters, as they charge too much money for stuff like this (while they didn't really any of the hard work that was involved into creating the actual patches). The M.I.B. (More Incredible Bash) is a toolkit that can just patch your unit to any FECs you want. The developers aim to be as user friendly as possible.
Does it work with firmware release 1338. That wasn't listed on the PDF of the toolbox.

You mentioned that it didn't have any Map styles for Seat any more. Have you got some example images of what it looks like and what's missing. Not sure what Map styles are to know what one will be missing ?.

Chillout

Jan 23, 2020
The "old" mapstyles are used so it looks the same. The fact that they're not including it, probably means they aren't maintaining things for Seat anymore.

And it's no problem to update to 1447. Just make sure you have OBD11 present to switch between skin modes if needed.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
The "old" mapstyles are used so it looks the same. The fact that they're not including it, probably means they aren't maintaining things for Seat anymore.

And it's no problem to update to 1447. Just make sure you have OBD11 present to switch between skin modes if needed.
I'm pleased you have it sorted with a solution. I will get a trusty retrofitter to do the firmware update to 1447, sort out the navigation FeCs to the ones ending in FF (the Seat Dutch lifetime ones 😉) plus put on your toolbox (plus I'll make a donation to your project). Unfortunate experience with my own fiddling in the past and incompetent / chancer retrofitters getting things wrong so lifetime map updates was a year [why I did the lookup navigation FeC table to help people]. The last one leaving TSR reading MPH speed signs as KPH so was told I was speeding at 16 MPH took them all day to sort that one out. Changing companies this time.

Assuming from there on you dont need to touch the toolbox when you do a future map update using the front or backend SWDL menu or if you do some flicking off toolbox menus. I guess you add the part line in to the dbinfo file that they left off and since verification is now turned off it smoothly imports it. I can do that edit every six months 😍.

Seat do have access to quarterly builds of the map files even before mib3, since they have shipped cars with these on in the past and also had the odd one up on their website. Believe the work is contracted out by VAG to a German company since they once shipped one release with the Q&A spreadsheet on with the companies details in the Excel registration.

It could be they fumbled the build of the release but a large fumble to leave Seat off the list. It does beg the question of how they are going to deal with people who they have sold Mapcare to in Europe, do they now have a right to go to the dealer once every six months for a free update on the bench. They should. It was never sold in the UK or even updates to the boards knowledge, the mantra was you have to scrap your car if you need a map update. Why people took charge of it themselves to put the vehicle on the same footing as VW or Skoda with free map updates for life every six months least to the end of mib2 map updates ~ 2025 or so. Perhaps their internal accounting in VAG has deemed that Seat hard currency of Mapcare isn't covering the cost except it was scrapped on the other brands back in 2015. Accountants for you.... just leaves them breaking Mapcare contracts with people who bought it in Europe or were given it for life in the Netherlands in 2019 on the FF FeC.

• Love
Reactions: Chillout

Tell

Staff member
I see the official Seat Mib2 standard map release is now out from their web page complete with rest of the world links:

If you haven't got Mapcare, you need the workaround see top left tab "Overview", don't delete your card till you have read it and taken a copy of your existing files. Normal form. For early birds, you already have that in the links above.

No change on the 189 release thou for the high unit :(.

Loai548

May 14, 2021
I see the official Seat Mib2 standard map release is now out from their web page complete with rest of the world links:

If you haven't got Mapcare, you need the workaround see top left tab "Overview", don't delete your card till you have read it and taken a copy of your existing files. Normal form. For early birds, you already have that in the links above.

No change on the 189 release thou for the high unit :(.
Thank you Tell
So what is really the changes in this version?!

Is the map on seat site the same on briskoda?

Regards

Tell

Staff member
Thank you Tell
So what is really the changes in this version?!

Is the map on seat site the same on briskoda?

Regards
It is indeed, I alerted them. Will add the actual links in later this afternoon above, so it's all together.

It's the six monthly update.

In other news I persuaded @Walone to be a guinea pig for the Mib tool to see how that works with the mib2 high 192 release we can't load up on Seat Mib2 highs. If successful I will get mine done the same. That's above @Chillout and co's work. As we settle in to the last four or so years of mib2 map updates.

Last edited:

Loai548

May 14, 2021
It is indeed, I alerted them. Will add the actual links in later this afternoon above, so it's all together.

It's the six monthly update.

In other news I persuaded @Walone to be a guinea pig for the Mib tool to see how that works with the mib2 high 192 release we can't load up on Seat Mib2 highs. If successful I will get mine done the same. That's above @Chillout and co's work. As we settle in to the last four or so years of mib2 map updates.
I downloaded the update file for Row 1 ( Israel)
The files date are 26/11/2020 is that right?

The previous update was 3/2020

Tell

Staff member
I downloaded the update file for Row 1 ( Israel)
The files date are 26/11/2020 is that right?

The previous update was 3/2020
The only one :).

They go through a production cycle and testing which is why the sign off date in the files is always different from the release date as they go out for testing. Ditto Google Maps will be the same, people think it's immediate but they still get taken from a development database, QAed and then released. Generally it's about 6 - 12 months from a change to it arriving in the maps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members