Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Jan 20, 2021
No you follow the lost and stolen bit of the text. Quite a few people have fallen into this trap. I use to find each of their releases but in fact it became apparent that a universal solution was to download what I give you in that text. That's the first mib2 standard release that Seat had. The overall.nds file in that release is then good for all installed releases that are paired with the unit. That is then your savour file.... that's the one you use with the work around method.

E.g. this download gives the missing file

V1 link (Credit Markobc with that one):

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/0430_MP143-1248.0EUR.zip

Then you just write that overall.nds file in place of the one you got on your latest download. Step 9 of this

Steps:

1. Download the latest standard MIB2 maps
  2. on the infotainment go to settings, safely remove, sd1 card
  3. remove sd1 card from glove box slot
  4. long press on the on / off to reboot it a couple of times
  5. insert sd card in to computer
  6. copy and paste all contents to a directory on your computer
  7. Format the SD card keep it as fat32 and leave format settings as default in file explorer (don't forget to push the card lock mechanism to off) (ditto in a MAC or delete all from the SD card)
  8. Copy the new downloaded map version to the SD card (after unzipping it)
  9. Replace /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with the one from the original SD card
  10. eject the sd card (on a MAC run CleanMyDrive on the SD card - then eject)
  11. Inserted the card into the card 1 slot in glove box whilst infotainment is off
  12. power on and go to navigation
Your original will be off that Skoda link. If Skoda servers are playing up then use the second link I gave in the mib2 lost and stolen card section. That uses the Skoda download manager and is more resilient to internet server difficulties.

I went to my Ateca 2020 (non facelift), and i dont have an SD card in either slot ? Can i update my maps via USB?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
I've just answered your question here:

Reactions: antausten
Mar 27, 2021
Hey guys,

thanks for the nice detailed description in the overview section. If I understand it well, the MIB2 High Navis have this FEC code, which determines the what NavDB versions may be installed. In my Navi the FEC is 07300023 which means I may use maps up to 2019 Nov. even today, when the expiration day is past. I tried to update my navi with these HIGH12_P184_EU_2020 update from skoda , but still cannot update. Is my assumption wrong, that I should be able to use older updates which are covered by mapcare, even if my mapcare is already expired since last year?

Tell

Staff member
Hey guys,

thanks for the nice detailed description in the overview section. If I understand it well, the MIB2 High Navis have this FEC code, which determines the what NavDB versions may be installed. In my Navi the FEC is 07300023 which means I may use maps up to 2019 Nov. even today, when the expiration day is past. I tried to update my navi with these HIGH12_P184_EU_2020 update from skoda , but still cannot update. Is my assumption wrong, that I should be able to use older updates which are covered by mapcare, even if my mapcare is already expired since last year?
Yes you can, it's a feature you can use older maps but not go past the quarter release of navigation FeC in Seat High / Plus units.

184 one would expect although could be on the border. Not a Mac issue ?. The unit does an SLA1 validation on the contents. Macs not using CleanMydrive etc / PCs not using 7 zip can add erroneous characters which will stop the import in its tracks. That would give a similar effect.

Attached VW document that covers export to SD but obviously doesn't cover Mapcare since they ditched it some years ago.

Attachments

• Discover_Pro_June_2020_EN.pdf
    256 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021
thanks for the quick reply. I just tried now to unpack with keka, copied the content to sdcard, afterwards ran cleanmydrive 2. unfortunately getting the same error. here's a video of what I do.

if I try to start the update from the service menu, it sees there's a navdb on the card, but some of the countries show ERR other show F, all of them has (0) next to them. Here's the recording
, and another recording trying to open a country db

Tell

Staff member
On the last two the F and Err are the bad news screens where the navigation FeC is not in the range the map is released against. Bad news if you force and update threw the backend menu since you have to reinstall the original map.

I can only think your navigation FeC is faulty if it was updated or there is an issue with the firmware has that been changed ?.

Mar 27, 2021
On the last two the F and Err are the bad news screens where the navigation FeC is not in the range the map is released against. Bad news if you force and update threw the backend menu since you have to reinstall the original map.

I can only think your navigation FeC is faulty if it was updated or there is an issue with the firmware has that been changed ?.
I bought the car last year, when the mapcare was still valid, so I guess it didn’t make sense to mess with it. And I didn’t mess with it since I have it. Is there a way to update the firmware?

Tell

Staff member
I bought the car last year, when the mapcare was still valid, so I guess it didn’t make sense to mess with it. And I didn’t mess with it since I have it. Is there a way to update the firmware?
There is a mib2 firmware thread.

I have never updated the firmware myself but had that done by a retrofitter whilst adjusting the navigation FeCs for me. It is possible to update the firmware yourself, the navigation FeCs you are into D-link boxes and the like, dubious programs and people, some not so dubious. Although I have seen posts where its said you dont need the ethernet box now. It's the FeC writing where you can kill the box. Retrofitters read the settings in the box so can restore the box as is, DIY I doubt one would do that. Mine got restored after they had messed it up in a piece of work one year latter. DIY activity suspect you wouldn't have the back up. The backup was taking by using the camera port of the unit to read the unit into a laptop. The firmware updated was manufactured then read into the unit via SD card and finishing touches were done via ODIS.

@Chillout is the resident expert of mib2 software having written the performance dials that retrofitters include in their work, perhaps you can meet up on the software thread. I've been adverse to killing my £800 box so haven't entertained fiddling with FeCs myself. If you get these to a high enough value it will cover with all future map updates untill the updates are discontinued (Probably 2025). I'd say the firmware is stable enough these days not to bother with firmware updates unless there is a known issue. The firmware is independent from the FeC adjustment so the freebie files you see on the net will not change the FeCs just the firmware.

The board does have a Retrofitter sponsor but since you are in Germany probably isn't of use.

Red_Fins

Apr 20, 2021
Southport
Have tried to do the update on MIB2 unit today but doesn't appear to have actually updated.
Downloaded the update file. Followed the workaround.
Replaced with the original overall file and it gives the following screen when I check version info.
It's probably me being a noob but... Any clues please?
Do I need to have an FeC value update, or have i read correctly that is just for the high units?

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_184126.jpg
    IMG_20210428_184126.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Have tried to do the update on MIB2 unit today but doesn't appear to have actually updated.
Downloaded the update file. Followed the workaround.
Replaced with the original overall file and it gives the following screen when I check version info.
It's probably me being a noob but... Any clues please?
It should have done it. It picks up the 6P and the year off the new data on the SD card not off the overall.nds file so I reckon you got the old SD image on the card, not the new one. Could be a noob error ?.

The latest is the November 2020 release for all Europe

1520... you have a choice of links but 1520 is the latest. 7zip if a PC to unzip. Copy out to SD card over right the overall.nds file as per the work around. Reboot the infotainment etc. The long press. Mac follow the Mac instructions.

Reactions: Walone and Red_Fins

Red_Fins

Apr 20, 2021
Southport
It should have done it. It picks up the 6P and the year off the new data on the SD card not off the overall.nds file so I reckon you got the old SD image on the card, not the new one. Could be a noob error ?.

The latest is the November 2020 release for all Europe

1520... you have a choice of links but 1520 is the latest. 7zip if a PC to unzip. Copy out to SD card over right the overall.nds file as per the work around. Reboot the infotainment etc. The long press. Mac follow the Mac instructions.
Cheers Tell, appreciate the speedy reply.
Think you may be right. will give it another try and check. Was convinced I'd done it all by the book and might have been soooo keen that I jsut copied the wrong file onto the card - IDIOT!
Have to say though its a great "how to guide" and loads of interesting stuff to read up.
Will provide an update fingers crossed!

Red_Fins

Apr 20, 2021
Southport
Woo Hoo........Its only gone and worked!
Many thanks Tell, I can only think that I downloaded a map update from in the discussion rather than the latest one in the resources and although I followed the process correctly, it was with the wrong update so I ended up working with identical files (the udpate and my original) without realising it - DOH!
However I am one extremely happy bunny!:D

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_202620.jpg
    IMG_20210428_202620.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: Tell and Bedlam

Loai548

May 14, 2021
Dear friends

Thanks for this post, i followed the instructions and updated the maps from Europe to Palestine using your trike, however, the navigation worked and i see the roads and POIs, but the most important thing is missing which is starting a route, choosing a destination and starting it is not working at all.
A message appears says:

" Route calculation has failed.
No navigation data available for the entire route."

I attached a picture for the message appears.

This shows whatever destination chosen.

Any help please?

Attachments

• 20210511_221809.jpg
    20210511_221809.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 117

Tell

Staff member
Dear friends

Thanks for this post, i followed the instructions and updated the maps from Europe to Palestine using your trike, however, the navigation worked and i see the roads and POIs, but the most important thing is missing which is starting a route, choosing a destination and starting it is not working at all.
A message appears says:

" Route calculation has failed.
No navigation data available for the entire route."

I attached a picture for the message appears.

This shows whatever destination chosen.

Any help please?
I suspect that the map only covers formal Israel. You could try setting up the starting point and finishing points in Israel using the navigation test mode

》》
A simulated drive can be taken by using the advanced menu of the infotainment unit. Put the unit into demo mode. Enter the cars location by street address, then navigate a route. 《《

I did do this test with roads in Morrocco. It may be that the destination. routing part of the system is only implemented on the U.N. recognised borders. You may be seeing roads that aren't strictly in the destination system. "Israel" is marked up as partial on the map release - see atrached.

There are people that use this download out there since I helped one guy from Israel to get it up on their system on a Cupra Ateca (map cards aren't supplied by Vag they imported a European card and uploaded to that, no mod since it had never been paired with a card). The Palestinian person who did the same as you with a European used import already paired for European maps, not sure where they live, but did the more extensive mod to get it working (they developed it further from the T6 Transporter site changing many more NDS files which is required for newer infotainment units, Arona 2019 works fine with the original T6 method and the Seat NDS workaround). Both methods are shown in the resource. That method was also required for VW US cars imported into Europe.

You could also test with the AmiGo online system which uses TomTom sourced maps the same as the VAG system as I understand. You might get similar results.

Ps presume it is locking on to the satellites. There is a menu which tells you the number, Toggle to show. 10 is good. 35 or so on the newer infotainment systems which use US, Chinease and Russian satellites. Been on roads in Jordan close to the Syrian border where jamming technology was used, had turn round and come back before getting lost. Syrians to confuse.

Attachments

• 20210515_085758.png
    20210515_085758.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Loai548

May 14, 2021
I suspect that the map only covers formal Israel. You could try setting up the starting point and finishing points in Israel using the navigation test mode

》》
A simulated drive can be taken by using the advanced menu of the infotainment unit. Put the unit into demo mode. Enter the cars location by street address, then navigate a route. 《《

I did do this test with roads in Morrocco. It may be that the destination. routing part of the system is only implemented on the U.N. recognised borders. You may be seeing roads that aren't strictly in the destination system. "Israel" is marked up as partial on the map release - see atrached.

There are people that use this download out there since I helped one guy from Israel to get it up on their system on a Cupra Ateca (map cards aren't supplied by Vag they imported a European card and uploaded to that, no mod since it had never been paired with a card). The Palestinian person who did the same as you with a European used import already paired for European maps, not sure where they live, but did the more extensive mod to get it working (they developed it further from the T6 Transporter site changing many more NDS files which is required for newer infotainment units, Arona 2019 works fine with the original T6 method and the Seat NDS workaround). Both methods are shown in the resource. That method was also required for VW US cars imported into Europe.

You could also test with the AmiGo online system which uses TomTom sourced maps the same as the VAG system as I understand. You might get similar results.

Ps presume it is locking on to the satellites. There is a menu which tells you the number, Toggle to show. 10 is good. 35 or so on the newer infotainment systems which use US, Chinease and Russian satellites. Been on roads in Jordan close to the Syrian border where jamming technology was used, had turn round and come back before getting lost. Syrians to confuse.
Thanks Tell

I'm a bit confused now. I'll try the demo and get you back.
However, i know its Israel map but it covers the whole area. I used the original European card came with ny ateca also.

I checje the resource link and i cant find the methods you mentioned. Could you please point them to me directly.

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell

I'm a bit confused now. I'll try the demo and get you back.
However, i know its Israel map but it covers the whole area. I used the original European card came with ny ateca also.

I checje the resource link and i cant find the methods you mentioned. Could you please point them to me directly.

Thanks
Was this a brand new car shipped to the Middle East ?. Its where the car has been matched to the European map that you follow the resource link. If the car has never been matched to a card you can just put in the card with the Middle East Israel map on it and it takes it. T6 Forum method is used where you are using the car out of region where it has already been registered to the original card. Israeli guy had a car with no map card, never registered and just used the European card with the Israel map on it.

Either way you are seeing a map which means you aren't blocked out of navigation feels like it isn't matching the location to find a route which means you are right off piste. It can happen. Once close enough to a digitised route you would think you would be fine unless as said the sat nav signal is being jammed. It does happen in the Middle East as I said. You can toggle the start up menu to show number of satellites locked on to. I'd do that as a check and also test the navigation demo mode. That runs the navigation from a pre defined point to a destination you enter - instructions as above.

The number of satellites locked on is shown on panel A attached. As I said 10 or above is a good number.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210515-134915.png
    Screenshot_20210515-134915.png
    271.2 KB · Views: 125

Loai548

May 14, 2021
Was this a brand new car shipped to the Middle East ?. Its where the car has been matched to the European map that you follow the resource link. If the car has never been matched to a card you can just put in the card with the Middle East Israel map on it and it takes it. T6 Forum method is used where you are using the car out of region where it has already been registered to the original card. Israeli guy had a car with no map card, never registered and just used the European card with the Israel map on it.

Either way you are seeing a map which means you aren't blocked out of navigation feels like it isn't matching the location to find a route which means you are right off piste. It can happen. Once close enough to a digitised route you would think you would be fine unless as said the sat nav signal is being jammed. It does happen in the Middle East as I said. You can toggle the start up menu to show number of satellites locked on to. I'd do that as a check and also test the navigation demo mode. That runs the navigation from a pre defined point to a destination you enter - instructions as above.

The number of satellites locked on is shown on panel A attached. As I said 10 or above is a good number.
Hi

I figured it out today and want to share my experience for those who may struggle like me.

1. I bought a used Ateca 2018, the car came from Europe (France) to Palestine. It came with its original navigation (Europe 7) Card.
2. I deleted the original map folder from the flash using my PC.
3. I downloaded the navi map for Israel from the Seat website.
4. Unziped the downloaded file, then copied the map folder to the card.
5. The only thing i did to let it work is changing the name of the folder for Israeli map from 21 to 00, then i returned the lock button of the card back and inserted it to the car while switch is on. And here we go it worked pefectly and can search for routes and start drive to destination.

Note: the downloaded map folder has 3 folders for multi region, the Israeli map was in the first folder (21) i just renamed this folder to 00 (00 was the Europe folder name which came original with the card).
There was no need to copy other files from the original maps ( nothing like: PRODUCT or OVERALL....etc. Which were mentioned in this post.) it may be different with other cases and other regions, so that i wrote first the case of mine, if it is similar to others.

Thank you for the help.
Best regards

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Hi

I figured it out today and want to share my experience for those who may struggle like me.

1. I bought a used Ateca 2018, the car came from Europe (France) to Palestine. It came with its original navigation (Europe 7) Card.
2. I deleted the original map folder from the flash using my PC.
3. I downloaded the navi map for Israel from the Seat website.
4. Unziped the downloaded file, then copied the map folder to the card.
5. The only thing i did to let it work is changing the name of the folder for Israeli map from 21 to 00, then i returned the lock button of the card back and inserted it to the car while switch is on. And here we go it worked pefectly and can search for routes and start drive to destination.

Note: the downloaded map folder has 3 folders for multi region, the Israeli map was in the first folder (21) i just renamed this folder to 00 (00 was the Europe folder name which came original with the card).
There was no need to copy other files from the original maps ( nothing like: PRODUCT or OVERALL....etc. Which were mentioned in this post.) it may be different with other cases and other regions, so that i wrote first the case of mine, if it is similar to others.

Thank you for the help.
Best regards
It could be that you have Mapcare on that unit so that's why you didn't have to copy that file over. Next update you may (keep a copy). That will be the standard workaround as described in the text.

The region code edit yes is the one to do. But in your instance you didn't have to go to town editing NDS files throughout. That seems to be something that some VW units require. The Arona I tested this on works fine with the simple edit and being a UK sold one doesn't have Mapcare so just do the standard workaround. I've had it configured for test purposes for Morrocco and Israel 😍. That's using the T6 Transporter forum method for out of region maps with the mapcare workaround.

Glad you now got it sorted and not an issue that the maps didn't cover your location. There should be a new release of maps in a months time. June / November release six month releases.

Last edited:

Loai548

May 14, 2021
It could be that you have Mapcare on that unit so that's why you didn't have to copy that file over. Next update you may (keep a copy). That will be the standard workaround as described in the text.

The region code edit yes is the one to do. But in your instance you didn't have to go to town editing NDS files throughout. That seems to be something that some VW units require. The Arona I tested this on works fine with the simple edit and being a UK sold one doesn't have Mapcare so just do the standard workaround. I've had it configured for test purposes for Morrocco and Israel 😍. That's using the T6 Transporter forum method for out of region maps with the mapcare workaround.

Glad you now got it sorted and not an issue that the maps didn't cover your location. There should be a new release of maps in a months time. June / November release six month releases.
Thank you mate

Will keep this as a copy for the next release.
Will see if it goes smooth like this. Hope so.
By the way, how to check the Mapcare if its there?

Tell

Staff member
Thank you mate

Will keep this as a copy for the next release.
Will see if it goes smooth like this. Hope so.
By the way, how to check the Mapcare if its there?
On the later. Its done with the navigation FeCs for the standard unit as well as the high unit. I havent worked out the look up table for the standard unit yet. The high one is here:

I did the table from experience of when retrofitters didn't manage to update them correctly so one knew the limits. There was an Audi Russian I found, different run in code, not 073 and matched at different points in the hex table.

This came up later post 49, when Seat allowed unlimited on specific Seats in the Netherlands:

Navigation Plus
0730001CDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_17
0730001EDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_18
07300020DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_18
07300022DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_19
07300024DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_19
07300026DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_22_20
07300028DB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_45_20
073000EEDB_EU_MIB2_HIGH_SEAT_Lifetime_Mapcare
Navigation Standard
07400000DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_SOP1
0740000CDB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_17
0740000EDB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_18
07400010DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_18
07400012DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_19
07400014DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_19
07400016DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_22_20
07400018DB_EU_MIB_STD_GEN2_SEAT_45_20
074000EE

That tallied with the codes I devised.

The standard navigation FeC will have a run in of 074.... 0C matches week 45 17, tallies with 1C of the high. So the Hex table needs to slipped. I've never checked what the standard unit says in the car since we have the workaround so no real interest in checking the standard unit FeC. No point in modding those although retrofitters sell that option.

Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists