Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

Deleted member 103408

Ok then it appears they have reverted back to their old code for 2017 which they corrected for but put back in. I assume it works fine without the space as did with the November 2016 release (2017).

On the 50 MPH business you can load up the PC Here Maps editor and check how they have them on their database and update them yourself....18 months later they may arrive. I do quite a bit of editing on the maps and corrections that I find. I check the speed limits on the source data when I find the car is showing the wrong speed limit although I have traffic sign recognition so if it doesn't see a new sign from the last the speed gets set low although the inherent speed from the data gets read in at some stage. Confounding element when I check bits of road.

The routing doesn't work too well on roundabout slips roads for no apparent reason, must be the grading on the roads but as I recall I wasn't privileged to edit that. I get taken off a main road, pass another roundabout a 1/2 mile later rejoin the road it took me off. The roads are in but.... on a simple slip road on a roundabout it misses the slip.
not sure if it helps but my traffic recognition has 3 setting.
1/ road sign only
2/ Maps only
3/ Maps till road sign tells me otherwise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
not sure if it helps but my traffic recognition has 3 setting.
1/ road sign only
2/ Maps only
3/ Maps till road sign tells me otherwise

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yes I could turn it off and run back along the same section of road but I check what is in the underlying map. It's option 3 that I'm at. It moans about a 30 MPH limit when it's 40 but I see no signs that set it as that. It could be the "master" copy of the maps in the live database has been corrected and hasn't worked through to the release one. The Here Maps app release doesn't reflect the live database since that still has a processing delay. It's always the same section of road where it gets the speed wrong.

If Seat UK stopped being stupid about Mapcare I'm sure many more people would be crowd sourcing edits on Here Maps, I do it for Google and Openstreet. On those your edits when verified get put threw into the published database. Here Poi's are a shambles in many cases. The postcode centre point is used as the location of the business which isn't accurate in many cases. I grind my teeth when people suggest using the postcode only on boards yet they have been batch processed into Here Maps. Other instances they are edited in correctly to the underlying satellite image. There is a load more rubbish Poi's in Here Maps than Google Maps, spam. It's more easy to delete Spam from Here Maps than Google which when present needs photos etc to prove it's Spam or leave it to a community of people like me to check it... yet more spam on Here Poi's since it gathers up overtime without being deleted by the community although it will go if you delete it unlike Google with the verification process.

Not dissing inbuilt car systems which are far more accurate using wheel revolutions when blind from satellites in towns and tunnels. Wearing my navigation hat for the last month still impressed with car systems where Google as a standalone system gets it wrong because it gets lost. Pity the Google data isnt on VW inbuilt systems. That would be the best of both worlds.

Portlanders

May 14, 2016
I've just installed 0915, from the Skoda site, on my MIB2 and all is fine!

Not sure why, but one of my mobiles disappeared from Bluetooth, so had to re-set that up. Could have been that it wasn't in range when it was first switched on.

One other thing was that it failed to allow me to set up a route to most of my Favourites. I just had to delete them and recreate them. I'm sure I had to do that when going to 0820.

Going out later, so will see if a journey is navigated without any issues.

Hi Steve, can you please tell me which link on the skoda page you downloaded, is it the columbus or amundsen. Just wondered which will work with my mib2 6P0?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Hi Steve, can you please tell me which link on the skoda page you downloaded, is it the columbus or amundsen. Just wondered which will work with my mib2 6P0?

Thanks

It's not the Columbus since that's the Plus unit. 6P0 is the only one without Mapcare where you get full success for the SD based units. There is a table above which maps the units to each other.

SEAT Navi System 5F0 (up to MJ 2015, up to BJ 21KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 1 (MIB1Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB1
SEAT Navi System 6P0 (from MJ 2016, starting at BJ 22.KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 2 (MIB2Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB2
SEAT Navi SystemPlus <-> VW Discover Pro (MIB1 / MIB2High) <-> Skoda Columbus

Last edited:

Portlanders

May 14, 2016
It's not the Columbus since that's the Plus unit. 6P0 is the only one without Mapcare where you get full success for the SD based units. There is a table above which maps the units to each other.

SEAT Navi System 5F0 (up to MJ 2015, up to BJ 21KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 1 (MIB1Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB1
SEAT Navi System 6P0 (from MJ 2016, starting at BJ 22.KW 2015) <-> VW Discover Media Generation 2 (MIB2Std) <-> Skoda Amundsen MIB2
SEAT Navi SystemPlus <-> VW Discover Pro (MIB1 / MIB2High) <-> Skoda Columbus

Many thanks, downloading now and will see how i get on, hopefully it'll be like last time and just copy over the overall.nds file.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Many thanks, downloading now and will see how i get on, hopefully it'll be like last time and just copy over the overall.nds file.

Yep, that's all that's required. Backup the files, format the SD card, copy the unzipped new download to the SD card and the overwrite the overall.nds file. I just had issues with some of my Favourites, but as I only has 5-6 of them, I just recreated them.

Portlanders

May 14, 2016
Yep, that's all that's required. Backup the files, format the SD card, copy the unzipped new download to the SD card and the overwrite the overall.nds file. I just had issues with some of my Favourites, but as I only has 5-6 of them, I just recreated them.

Cheers, worked like a charm as before.

I didn't have any favourites, but all the destinations i use in the memory are still there so all good. Will give it a try out tomorrow to make sure it all works as should.

Thanks again

BigginJames

Nov 13, 2017
Selby

No need to format the SD, though I spose it might be quicker. You can just delete the maps directory before unzipping straight onto the SD card

justbaldchris

Oct 17, 2017
What is this nds file you speak of, is it a hidden file?

Start reading from post number 613 in this thread.

I read from there and by the end understood what I needed to do.

I don't want to write a guide in case I miss something thing out.

Take a back up image is my advice as that way you can return.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Start reading from post number 613 in this thread.

I read from there and by the end understood what I needed to do.

I don't want to write a guide in case I miss something thing out.

Take a back up image is my advice as that way you can return.
Ta. Read this thread so much, but missed that but. Not sure mine will work as it's the older model, but I'm up for giving it a go

Andy1977

Jul 10, 2017
Everyone I get a notification on my phone about a new comment on this particular thread I open it hoping that somebody has finally worked out how to update the 5F0 without Mapcare........ Still waiting

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
Everyone I get a notification on my phone about a new comment on this particular thread I open it hoping that somebody has finally worked out how to update the 5F0 without Mapcare........ Still waiting

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for the sla1 private password for mib2 so I can frig the install commands.... might take a time thou [B)] in the meantime I'll enjoy what I did do so far with the mib2 high upgrade side that isn't protected. For the paultry amount that the one off payment of Mapcare care costs (circa £100) for life stupid that this option is not offered or just built in the UK. People will get even more wild I reckon when the virtual cockpit is offered on new Seats but still no way of upgrading the maps yourself for UK Seat drivers.

Gappa

Nov 6, 2017
Update without of mapcare

1. Does anybody know what happend if I try to update 6P0 system WITHOUT mapcare service? Does the system still work if I return back original SD card?
2. Can I update system by yourself if I buy new original sd card with maps or there is necessary to do it with official dealer assistance?
Thanks for help

Last edited:

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
1. Does anybody know what happend if I try to update 6P0 system WITHOUT mapcare service? Does the system still work if I return back original SD card?
2. Can I update system by yourself if I buy new original sd card with maps or there is necessary to do it with official dealer assistance?
Thanks for help

6PO are fine, the issue is with the original, mine 5PO.

Follow the guides on here and you will be fine

Gappa

Nov 6, 2017
What is fine? I have not got any mapcare because there is no way to buy it here. Do you mean I can test different editions of maps without risk of bricking the navi system?
And what guids do you mean? To read all posts is unreal? Posts I red until now were not useable for me. Can you be more specific?

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Here you go

Gentlemen, a successful update report here.

My PartNo on the original SD card is: 6P0919866H

I managed to update from 0635 to 0820 with exciter's approach, i.e.:
1. Reformatted the SD card that had 0635 on it
2. Copied the freshly dowloaded 0820 version to the SD card
3. Replaced /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS on the SD CARD with that from 0635
4. edited the /maps/00/nds/dbinfo.txt so that one of the PartNumberX entries correctly has my own part number in it, that is I replaced PartNumber4 from PartNumber4="6P0919866R" to PartNumber4="6P0919866H"
5. Inserted the card into the card and voila: 0820 working.

Step #4 may be completely useless, I did it nevertheless, and did not test without it. YMMV.
The fact that exciter made it work without #4, is a strong argument to try without it.

This is a fresh: tested a couple of route calculations, searches, all was OK so far, no reboots. Will report back after a couple of days.

Gappa

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks. I'll test it.
And only for info - do you have any knowleadge what happend when I simply insert sd card without described modifications?

Tell

Staff member
Step 4 isn't required, the important thing is to back it up so you can do step 3 or go back if you decide. That's step 0 other than that you have to use VW libraries to obtain a copy of the software if you wanted to go backwards.

The original SD card has a hidden partition that reformatting doesn't touch which registers the card to the unit. These are special SD cards but you can buy, back in the thread from November 2016 on details of how to clone onto these special cards is provided, but basically you don't need to they won't work on another car accept yours. Basically the listed stuff on the thread for 6P is an over kill since people didn't know what was required, trying to understand how things worked, so I'd say Step 0 take a copy of the card to HD, then steps 1-3.

It's a fluke why this workaround works but best not to look a gift horses in the mouth.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise